CRE's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1
Level 1

Davis-Monthan Airforce Base: Navigation issues with Google Maps

I wanted to point out a navigation issue that has been ongoing for at least a year without improvement. As any resident knows, Tucson is home to a gigantic U.S.A.F. base named Davis-Monthan. As an example, let's say I want to navigate from 1st and Prince to a destination on E. Pima. Google will seemingly always (despite selecting several alternate routes) try to direct me through the base. While this route would be convenient, the base is closed off to civilian traffic.

Compounding this problem is that the base stretches for miles and there is no clear detour to anyone remotely new to the city. Attempting to circle the base is futile because you'll find yourself at yet another blockade. I have found myself driving for close to an hour in search of a detour when my destination is located 5 minutes away across the base. The android and web based google app will not give an alternate route no matter which direction I drive.

I am surprised that this has not been noticed or resolved, as this is a high density urban area and it is not a secret that the base is not a throughway unless you fly a B-2. Seriously, how can we fix this? Google Maps should not even allow this route as an option.

Davis Monthan Air Force Base, Tucson, AZ, United States
7 comments
Level 10

Re: Davis-Monthan Airforce Base: Navigation issues with Google Maps

Hi CRE,

I can offer part of the solution -- Google Directions has it's own feedback procedure.

To correct or update incorrect navigation instructions you need to report the incorrect instructions to Google through the Send Directions feedback procedure.

Just create simple short directions to illustrate the issue and follow the instructions in this help article.

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6194894

As regards the roads blocked to civilians, I'm gonna pass on making that suggestion at the moment, as it's been a while since I've done it (Navy base restrictions) -- and I don't wanna guess 😉  Perhaps another mapper can advise in the meantime.

Level 7

@MapWrangler wrote:

...As regards the roads blocked to civilians, I'm gonna pass on making that suggestion at the moment, as it's been a while since I've done it (Navy base restrictions) -- and I don't wanna guess 😉  Perhaps another mapper can advise in the meantime.

The problem with directions thru restricted areas is not just a military-civilian one, as it is in this Davis-Mothan AFB case.  The same Google-Maps-technical issue occurs with gated communities.  

May solve a lot of Local Guides issues if we can figure out the best way to explain the local issue to Google so that they fix it correctly the first time we ask.
Connect Moderator

Hello,

I cannot recreate your issue.  

To begin, 1st and Prince to any place on East Prima goes nowhere near the base.

But when I try to vary the starting point and destination, the only way I can get a route that passes through the base is when the start or end point is within the base, which is as designed.

Please bring up the bad directions and then share a direct link to them.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 6

I'm retired military, which from experience I can tell you 1. Civilians will never be able to access base unless you have a valid reason too per the DOD.

2. Your map always shows alternate routes, you can select the gray'd out road map to change your route.  If you need further help I can make a video showing you how to do this.  Please let me know if this helps!

V/r

Matthew

Level 2

Google Map suggestions.

A smal suggestion to google maps. one day I started journey from my location to some other location I searched for the root map in Google maps I started journey by fallowing maps at the middle I got a problem maps showing the root but it's a restricted Area it is a military Area there is no other root for go i turn back and i started with another long way by long time  i  reache to destination

Level 10

Re: Google Map suggestions.

Former Google Contributor

Re: Google Map suggestions.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, @Rakhi26.

Your post is getting merged with Davis-Monthan Airforce Base: Navigation issues with Google Maps.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!