cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Re: Contribution - NOT APPLIED

Hi,

this is to acknowledge the community about the changes in my edits validation

Having reached LG level 4, I have noticed few changed in edits validation.

1. Some of my edits (Category edits) are validated and applied immediately.

2. The edits I was struggling being false rejected are applied now.

I am not sure if this is a hidden feature of LG level 4 or Google qualified my account otherwise.

Thank you.

Arvidas

Level 5

@TraciC,

Hi there....I submit a lot of edits and pretty much most of them get published.The ones that I have had particular trouble with are business name edits such as See's Candies Chocolate Shops.....the name a double entendre.The business description is listed as chocolate shop so I have submitted many edits of a lot of See's Candies Chocolate Shop locations to change the name to what everyone else calls them....including other review sites and even See's Candies themselves.The name edits have virtually all been approved and published....but even months later I am still seeing the business name has not changed in a number of cases.I find this outcome very frustrating.I ran into a similar edit problem yesterday when my wife and I made a quick trip to the Carlsbad Outlets shopping mall a few miles away.My wife went into the Carter's babies and kids shop to buy a few items of clothing for our 2 year old grand daughter.While she was busy I wandered along the mall and snapped some photos of other businesses I missed when we were shopping here last year....my wife shopped at the Carter's babies and kids shop then also.Back then I noticed that Google maps showed the shop's name as Carter's so I submitted an edit to correct the business name to Carter's babies and kids.I received an email from Google maps confirming,approving and publishing my name change months ago.When I looked up the business yesterday to see if I still had the headline Google maps photo ....which I did....I saw that my name change edit had not been adjusted on Google Maps...this is quite a few months later.This is not the way things should happen.This a babies and kids clothes only store...no adult clothes are sold here.I was even asked questions yesterday by Google maps if the shop sold big and tall clothing and if it sold women's maternity wear?This is very misleading for Google maps users.I have enclosed some screen shots to illustrate the issue.I would appreciate if you could shed some light on why this is so.Thanks.

Cheers,

Zed star.

Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 8.59.11 AM.pngWhat's going on now?What's going on now?The correct name is clear to see.The correct name is clear to see.The Carter's name changed was approved.The Carter's name changed was approved.

Level 9
Level 9

@Zeds wrote:

@TraciC,

I noticed that Google maps showed the shop's name as Carter's so I submitted an edit to correct the business name to Carter's babies and kids.I received an email from Google maps confirming,approving and publishing my name change months ago.When I looked up the business yesterday...I saw that my name change edit had not been adjusted on Google Maps...this is quite a few months later.This is not the way things should happen.

Hi @Zeds

A few points here:

Your edit to change the name from "Carter's" to "Carter's Babies & Kids" did take place, the name was adjusted on 15 December, the same date as the photo you added.

Later that day the listing was subsequently edited back to "Carter's". 

It is best if you have a mapping issue to start your own thread in Mapping Your World, with a clear headline and a short description of the issue including a map link eg https://goo.gl/maps/8gF659xq6Fp

Level 5

@Pea,

Thank you....that's a very unexpected answer......someone changed it back the very same day....how interesting! Whoever submitted that incorrect name change was not being very helpful.Why would that be permitted?

Cheers,

Zed star

Level 9
Level 9

@Zeds wrote:

Whoever submitted that incorrect name change was not being very helpful.

It is arguable the "incorrect name change" is the one you made. Other branches are just named Carters and consistency is key, along with real world customer usage (hence Starbucks branches should always appear on the map as Starbucks, not Starbucks Coffee or STARBUCKS COFFEE despite their signage).

The reversal of your name change may have been another LG or the owner, either as a specific edit or, since this a claimed chain, a bulk edit via Google My Business. Chain businesses regularly run edit scripts that affect all their stores. Even if your edit was correct, you'd be fighting a losing battle as the chain's script will change the name back to whatever they want every time it's run.

Level 5

Hi @Pea

How do you know the history of edits ?

Level 5

@Pea,

I understand what  you are saying.....however there are many Carter's babies and kids stores named as such.....Google maps has to fall into line with the name that other review sites such as Yelp use otherwise it will become irrelevant.My background is in managing and marketing huge retail stores in Australia..sometimes nationally....retailing is in my DNA.Thanks for the heads up though.....I will tread much more wisely now.

Cheers,

Zed star.

Level 5

@Pea,

This is the real world as I see it! Customers don't want to go to a store listed on Google maps as Carter's when they are looking for adult female clothing and find it is a babies and kids store only.

Cheers,

Zed star.

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 4.29.13 PM.png

Former Google Contributor

Hello @Zeds,

Thank you very much for sharing your concern with us! As part of the Google Maps mapping guidelines, we don't generally expect descriptors to be on the name of a listing.

There're a number of factores we check to make sure the name on Maps is the one that most users would use and reflect in in the real world. In your example, the official website of the company and all brand communications reflect as "Carter's" only, without the descriptor. We also called the company to verify the information and they've confirmed they use "Carter's".

Another powerful tool to help users in their life decisions, we also rely on the categories so if a user is looking for "Adult female clothing" we wouldn't show Carter's listing as part of our suggestion. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 5

@GusMoreira,

Thanks for your insightful response mate.Have a look at this then.I have submitted numerous name change edits for all the See's Candies shops you see here and they were approved and published months ago.No one calls a See's Candies store a See's Candies Chocolate Shop except for Google Maps...even the See's Candies website identifies it's shops as See's Candies.Why would anyone with a half a brain describe a See's Candies store as a See's Candies Chocolate Shop with Chocolate shop listed as it's business purpose...how bizarre is that? Google Maps are allowing a sub description to be added after the proper name which does not exist in the real world.I submit a huge amount of successful & correct edits but my talents do not include mapping through no fault of my own.There needs to a bucket load more clarity and uniformity with these proper business name edits....it is becoming a pain.My talents are very skillful in other areas like marketing and promoting the businesses I take 1000's of photos of and write 1000's of reviews about.If anyone can argue that Carter's babies and kids is called Carter's everywhere even though my store photos show the name clearly of the Carlsbad Outlets store as Carter's babies and kids then I am dying to hear anyone's argument why See's Candies stores are named as See's Candies Chocolate Shops on Google Maps when the only place that is happening in the real world....is on Google Maps.I would love to know who is changing my name change edits back to See's Candies Chocolate Shops.....that is surely the work of an idiot! The top See's Candies store in the edit list below at left was re-edited yesterday by me hence at this point it is still called See's Candies.We'll see how long that lasts! I have the headline photo on Google Maps for nearly all these locations.

Cheers,

Zed star.

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 10.57.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-28 at 10.58.52 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-28 at 10.59.45 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-28 at 11.00.11 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-28 at 11.00.25 AM.png