MartinR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Companies without shop e.g. e-shops

Hello,

in last few days I am walking around Prague and adding informations through maps application. But I disovered one big issue in this thing. There are a lot fo places in maps e.g. e-shops which are marked in a map in some adress but they are phisically not there. So I was wondering what to do with this places, should I mark them that they don't exist and let delete them or let them there? Because I thing it is really confusing that places like this are in map (e.g. I am finding toy store, I come to the place marked in map like toy store but there isn't any toy store because it is just e-shop registered on that adress and there is no showroom available).

Thank you for your answer,

Martin

Praha, Česká republika
27 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Companies without shop e.g. e-shops

The guidelines for mapmaker say that companies without a physical place aren't allowed on google maps.

As you can see here: 

https://support.google.com/mapmaker/answer/2642650?hl=en

@BWTTIHS wrote:

Hello,

in last few days I am walking around Prague and adding informations through maps application. But I disovered one big issue in this thing. There are a lot fo places in maps e.g. e-shops which are marked in a map in some adress but they are phisically not there. So I was wondering what to do with this places, should I mark them that they don't exist and let delete them or let them there? Because I thing it is really confusing that places like this are in map (e.g. I am finding toy store, I come to the place marked in map like toy store but there isn't any toy store because it is just e-shop registered on that adress and there is no showroom available).

Martin

View solution in original post

Level 10
Solution

The guidelines for mapmaker say that companies without a physical place aren't allowed on google maps.

As you can see here: 

https://support.google.com/mapmaker/answer/2642650?hl=en

@BWTTIHS wrote:

Hello,

Martin

Level 5

Thank you, this is exactly what I was lookig for 🙂

Level 7

I did not know this! There are dozens of these in my neighborhood.

Clean up on Aisle 1! 🙂

Level 5

Here in Prague it is the same because I think nobody checked it here for years.

Level 5

I would feel better about removing online-shops from maps if there were a matching reason to chose, like  "non-physical" or "online location". Right now it seems like I completely take those locations off the internet like they never existed or were closed for good.

Level 5

Yes I agree, there should be some "bussiness" version of the maps, but now we have to accept that google is trying to keep the maps simple for casual user. And I think this is the thing. The majority of the g-maps users don't need this places.

Level 7

Think of it this way... Maps is to find locations. If they are a business that didn't support walk up business, why should you do a route to their location? 

Google search online businesses, Google map physical businesses.

Make sense? 🙂

Level 5

Yeah, I absolutely agree. But in Prague I found problem that this "bussiness" adresses are not deletable. I tried it for a few times in last weeks and my edit is still beeing declined. So there is a huge problem of understanding of this problem in map editor I think so. There should be more informations about this problem I think because now it is really messy.

Level 10

I think the problem is when the business is claimed with google my business, than there is no change to delete them. I dont know why google allows this kind of business for google maps.