stevenee's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Commonwealth bank in Australia showing as just "Commonwealth"

Hi all,

How do we fix or name "Commonwealth Bank" in Australia. (www.commbank.com.au).

Many places are named "Commonwealth Bank Location" or "CBA Location" or instead of location ATM in the name for automatic teller machines.

However, there are many named  just "Commonwealth". I would guess they have a google business account, and should probably do it themselves! But many of my edits are pending. 

Also, it seems common to remove the location in the name. In fact when i first started, the suggested fixes, went through and got me to take suburb names of lots of places.

Whats the recommended way to go here?

Thanks

Australia
14 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Commonwealth bank in Australia showing as just "Commonwealth"

Hello,

While we do not usually include descriptors in a name, we do include them if they are integral to the name.  As an example here in Canada, we have two banks legally known as The Toronto-Dominion Bank and The Royal Bank of Canada.  Ignoring that they are both largely known as TD and RBC, their common names are Toronto-Dominion and Royal Bank.  Notice how the first has "Bank" dropped, but the second retains is as it is integral to the name?

As a local, can you tell us which is what people actually say?

• "Taxi, take me to the closest Commonwealth."  "My mortgage is with Commonwealth."  "Thank you for calling Commonwealth."
  • "Taxi, take me to the closest Commonwealth Bank."  "My mortgage with (the) Commonwealth Bank."  "Thank you for calling Commonwealth Bank."
Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 7

Level 7

I think its ok! They put 'Commonwealth' in name, 'Bank' in the category and 'Australia' in the address/location. 

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello,

While we do not usually include descriptors in a name, we do include them if they are integral to the name.  As an example here in Canada, we have two banks legally known as The Toronto-Dominion Bank and The Royal Bank of Canada.  Ignoring that they are both largely known as TD and RBC, their common names are Toronto-Dominion and Royal Bank.  Notice how the first has "Bank" dropped, but the second retains is as it is integral to the name?

As a local, can you tell us which is what people actually say?

• "Taxi, take me to the closest Commonwealth."  "My mortgage is with Commonwealth."  "Thank you for calling Commonwealth."
  • "Taxi, take me to the closest Commonwealth Bank."  "My mortgage with (the) Commonwealth Bank."  "Thank you for calling Commonwealth Bank."
Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 9

Commonwealth Bank is it's actual business name?

Level 10

Same thing goes for NAB. Once I saw "National Australia" (which doesn't make any sense) but the word Bank actually does appear in the official branding. It should be Commonwealth Bank, but I see several of the following:

• Commonwealth Bank (Location)
  • Commonwealth Bank (Location) Branch
  • CBA ATM (Location)
  • CBA (Branch/ATM)
  • Commonwealth Bank ATM

I understand why it would just be 'CBA' instead of 'Commonwealth Bank' for ATMs for shortness but I really would like some consistency. The ATMs are quite structured, but the location descriptors shouldn't be there.

Level 10

Also in regards to answering that question Flash answered,

When I call the Commonwealth Bank, they themselves call themselves as Commonwealth Bank. If they strangely decide to represent themselves as The Commonwealth I think they would be referring to Fallout 4. The Commonwealth (of Nations) also refers to the colonies and former territories of the British Empire also (I didn't know that, learned something new today!).

Commonwealth Bank is formally known as The Commonwealth Bank of Australia, hence CBA. Also commonly referred to as Commonwealth Bank, and colloquially CommBank or CBA for short.

Level 9

I actually think they are all trying to rebrand as CBA, NAB etc... consistency would be nice.

Connect Moderator

CBA is only the short form branding. The full brand is Commonwealth Bank of Australia. The Maps Listings should be for Commonwealth Bank.

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

I'm sorry, I missed responding initially.  Paul is correct, if "Bank" is integral to the name as it seems from your description of how it is used in everyday language, then "Commonwealth Bank" is what you should edit these to be in Maps.

If we had access to all the names like we used to have, you would designate Commonwealth Bank as the Primary name, (The) Commonwealth Bank of Australia as the Official name (some investigation might be necessary to see if "The" is formally included), and CBA as the Abbreviated name.

Be warned that it's possible that these names already exist but are incorrect tagged, this might cause some of your edits to fail.