cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6
Level 6

Commercial Buildings

Hi,

I'm in doubt when categorizing commercial buildings that are rented by multiple tenants, like Law firms and ad agencies. The closest category I have found is 'Business Centre' but that is not quite accurate. Is this intended? Are we supposed to not have single buildings on the map and just add the businesses?

Also, in regards to the 'Located in' information, is that still limited to buildings whose owner's have opted in to internal maps? I found no way in the interface to add such information.

5 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Commercial Buildings

Hello @DGS

Buildings are mapped separate from the businesses within, even when there is only one occupant.  Buildings are mapped as polygons, most are unnamed but when appropriate the polygon can be named.  Google has not accepted any polygon edits for over two years; I'm afraid there is no way to add buildings.  Most buildings are now added by bots that scan the aerials, and so it would be unlikely that building edits are accepted in the future even if polygons are once again accepted.

"Located in" is also an automated function.  It is unrelated to indoor mapping.  While we can escalate glaring errors, the lack of Located In is something to be left for the system to eventually make the connection.  To help it you can ensure all data is as accurate as possible on the map.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 6
Level 6

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe the community here took a different turn, because building names are commonly added to the map, as ‘commercial centers’ like I mentioned, and not as polygons.

Connect Moderator

Hi @DGS,

The community does not determine the rules of the map, that is solely up to Google.  But yes, when presented with a list of A to T of what can be edited on the map, people do constantly try to add or edit U to Z by forcing them into the A to T categories.

I cannot tell you how "Commercial Centre" is intended to by properly used as there is no such category in English, I think this might be a translation issue.  Can you link to 3 or 4 places that are using the category to which you refer and I'll take a look as to how they end up displaying in English.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 6
Level 6

I actually use google maps in English but recalled from memory the wrong category, the one I meant was ‘Business Center’. Here are three examples from two different cities. Notice they are all called ‘Edifício’, which means building in Portuguese. 

‘Red Hill Building’

https://goo.gl/maps/sk9NCbhAKw72

‘Baracat Building’

https://goo.gl/maps/7o27RXfFBe62

‘Jacarandá Building’

https://goo.gl/maps/RLr1zdbntbs

Level 6
Level 6

Any updates on this?