LucioV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Check the facts: may replace review request to Regional Leads?

Hi all, experienced mappers.

As you know, in the past, when we made updates to maps using Map Maker, we could ask in the Regional Lead board to be checked by a local RL.

Now seems that the approval process has been moved from these trusted users to Local Guides, using Fact Checks; when you submit an update, the Local Guides in the area will receive a check the facts eventually including your update.

While we are not able to share a "check the facts" regarding the business we are updating, what do you think about creating some G+ circles of people that, on request, could target a zone and scroll the check the facts list searching for a specific update to approve?

Do you think that this is beyond Check the facts scope or it's inappropriate in some ways?

Thanks for your thoughts.

49 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Check the facts: may replace review request to Regional Leads?

Hi @LucioV and all,

Thanks for bringing this discussion to our attention.

As @Flash mentioned and it's also mentioned in our Local Guides Community Guidelines policy,  you should only add/edit/approve/deny an edit if you have first-hand knowledge of the place or you have personally checked that the information is real.

Approving edits that you are not familiar, although can be seen as a speedier resolution, can have serious implication to your Google Account. It can hurt your trust score and if the edit you approved turned out to be spam, you entire account can be blacklisted.

Edits go through moderation (either by users or Google staff) because we want the most accurate information as possible to prevent users from abusing the system and to also make it faster for future user edits.

So to summarize, only check the facts of places you know.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Level 9
Level 9

@LucioV wrote:

Now seems that the approval process has been moved from these trusted users to Local Guides, using Fact Checks;

I think there's quite a difference here as 'Check the facts' isn't much of an Approval process, it's more like a few extra data points to help Google make the approval. Of course it could change in future and a new class of trusted LG akin to old RLs might have actual approval powers, but for now 'Check the facts' is pretty light and we don't know how much weight is given to responses. It wouldn't surprise me if currently little no weight at all is given prior to approval, it's possible at this stage it's still being used for machine learning. If that is the case, then creating a circle of proactive fact checkers would actually skew the machine learning results.

Level 8

As all the processing is happening at the back end, it will be relatively easy for Google to assign different weight for different LGs.  At least that's what I hope Google will do soon.

Level 10

Level 8

Hi @LucioV,

If you have some pending edits that we can test with, please post the details here.

I will try if I can locate that in my Check the Facts module.

Level 10

I suspect are to be checked by people real using maps in the specific area!

Anyway, please, have a look to:

Sushi Koi
Via Salvatore Rebecchini, 5, 00148 Roma

and look if there is some fact checking on street numbers!!

Also, please, look if some fact checking pops up in:

Sushi Koi
Via Salvatore Rebecchini, 5, 00148 Roma

Thanks for the test!
Level 10

is "check the facts" regarding the business we are updating? @LucioV @YK1001

i think what is your opinions bro.

Level 8

Hi @LucioV,

When I manually goto the area near https://goo.gl/maps/hHyPm78SiN32, I am asked if the place "Soshi Kol" exist or not.  The Place Marker is shown at the right of The Village .

Via the Check the Facts UI, I cannot even see the Category, Address, Phone, etc.  of that business.

Level 10

@YK1001 wrote:

Hi @LucioV,

When I manually goto the area near https://goo.gl/maps/hHyPm78SiN32, I am asked if the place "Soshi Kol" exist or not.  The Place Marker is shown at the right of The Village .

Via the Check the Facts UI, I cannot even see the Category, Address, Phone, etc.  of that business.

This sounds correct, because i marked this place as closed.

So, please, try to answer yes to this question, and let's see what happens on my side!

Lucio

Level 10

@MahmudurR wrote:

is "check the facts" regarding the business we are updating? @LucioV @YK1001

i think what is your opinions bro.

Yes, we are talking about a new way to have fast approval of our updates 😉