ViganRon's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Check the Facts

There is one type of question under “Check the Facts” that confuses me. I have made an assumption but want to be sure.

The question format is:

• Suggested Name
  • Current name crossed out

Yes – Not Sure – No

I assumed the yes or no is referring to the suggested name change and not the original name. Am I correct?

Ron

Philippines
2 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Check the Facts

Hello Ron,

Yes, they are asking you about the new name; a Yes is support for the new name.

One thing you should know about name changes is that it should be only a correction or a rebranding.

A correction would be the fixing of a spelling mistake, changing an all capitals name to proper capitalization, etc.

Rebrandings are only allowed in very specific circumstances, you can read more at https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/map-maker/NKlgO3Eou1Q/o8uizA62VXMJ.

What is not allowed is to change a POI to represent a different feature.  So if a Burger King closes and in it's place a McDonalds opens, we would mark the old POI as closed and open a new POI; we would not change the name of the exiting POI to McDonalds.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello Ron,

Yes, they are asking you about the new name; a Yes is support for the new name.

One thing you should know about name changes is that it should be only a correction or a rebranding.

A correction would be the fixing of a spelling mistake, changing an all capitals name to proper capitalization, etc.

Rebrandings are only allowed in very specific circumstances, you can read more at https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/map-maker/NKlgO3Eou1Q/o8uizA62VXMJ.

What is not allowed is to change a POI to represent a different feature.  So if a Burger King closes and in it's place a McDonalds opens, we would mark the old POI as closed and open a new POI; we would not change the name of the exiting POI to McDonalds.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 3

I was wondering the same thing.  The interface should be updated to clarify the question.

My recommendation is:

Is this name correct?  Is the suggestion correct?
  • Suggested Name
  • Current name crossed out

Yes – Not Sure – No