vatsalm's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Change of business name versus creating a new business name?

a new location has been set up at place Akhilesh Computer ,Akota , Vadodara, Gujarat. 

Authorised Distributor of Bharatgas ( Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited )

Distributor of LPG ( Domestic and Commercial )

Office Address : [REDACTED]

So kindly change the profile of Akhilesh Computers to M/s. Shreenathji Bharatgas and update as well.

8 comments
Level 6

Re: Change of business name versus creating a new business name?

I have found it quicker to remove the old business and add the new one. Not sure if that's the best way - but the changes hit quickly!

Level 10

Always best to remove the old business, and create another entry.

This is best practice to avoid confusion in users.

Connect Moderator

The rules do call for a new place to be added.  The old place should be marked as Closed, and to help the reviewer if you are asked for a comment you can include a note for each edit referencing the other, such as "Closing, this has been replaced by XXXXX which I've added in a separate edit."

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 4

Changing of the name would be so much easier.  

Level 6

@DarylH wrote:

IMHO - not really. For example, my next door Indian closed down and is now a Costa Coffe place. Totally different everything (Except the actuall building/address). Google's rule makes sense to me: when I added in the coffee house, I am starting from scratch. I can add pics (I must get around to posting those!), add opening hours, add a review - and none of that gets mixed up with the old business. The hours of the Indian restaurant varies dramatically from Costa's hours! 🙂 

So thanks fo the mods for clarifying this point! 

Connect Moderator

It might be easier, but would create data issues.

A place (or POI) on the map represents that establishment at that location.  If either one changes we mark it as closed.  Map Maker is just one resource that Google uses; the POI will be linked to many different resources that provide information about it.  If you attempt to change it to a different business or move it to a different location it will still continue to have the other resources feeding the old information into it, which will cause issues in perpetuity.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Connect Moderator

@Thomasl wrote:

@DarylH wrote:

IMHO - not really. For example, my next door Indian closed down and is now a Costa Coffe place. Totally different everything (Except the actuall building/address). Google's rule makes sense to me: when I added in the coffee house, I am starting from scratch. I can add pics (I must get around to posting those!), add opening hours, add a review - and none of that gets mixed up with the old business. The hours of the Indian restaurant varies dramatically from Costa's hours! 🙂 

So thanks fo the mods for clarifying this point! 

Exactly.

Plus there are many different databases Google uses, and they would continue to feed updates into the feature, so you might suddenly find the name has switched back or some other data changes to the old data.

It also allows people looking for the old business to be told that it is now closed, otherwise they might assume Google just doesn't know about it and visit anyway.

Level 8

@DarylH wrote:

I think its not good at all if all the reviews and posted photos get transferred.

imagine how much irrelevant reviews and photo will be there

The Hague Local Guides Community
https://plus.google.com/communities/113132801025566159822