Mjyates's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: Category not applied

I have faced same problem several times. But there is another way. You can try it. Hope it's work.

1st:  Permanently close the place.

2nd: Recreate the place with Actual Tag and Original Information.

I have get success through this way.

Connect Moderator

@AmitabhDey wrote:

I have faced same problem several times. But there is another way. You can try it. Hope it's work.

1st:  Permanently close the place.

2nd: Recreate the place with Actual Tag and Original Information.

I have get success through this way.

Please do not use this method at any time.

Workarounds should never be used in Maps unless Google has said they are acceptable, as they will lead to bad data.

A place on the map can have dozens or even hundreds of data feeds into it from the many sources that Google uses.  When you close a POI and create a new one you are breaking the connections to all those feeds.  That can include an claim by the owner via Google My Business (GMB).

And since you have incorrectly closed a place, there is a good chance it will get reopened.  Owners have a button right in their GMB dashboard to reopen it.

Finally, making improper edits can lead to trust loss on your account, up to and even including being banned.

Please ensure all your edits on Google Maps follow the rules of the map.  If you cannot solve an issue by following the rules, please post here and we'll try to help you to find the proper solution.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Connect Moderator

@Mjyates wrote:

@Flash

Thanks for the suggestions. Im not sure the Bank/ATM theory holds water. The thing is the POI I am trying to change will not accept any edit at all. These are Dual language POI s and my main objective is having the Bank / ATM in Thai and English. Even if I try to edit the name in Thai, it is not applied.

Your original post said you are trying to change the category.  You are now stating that it is not the category, but the name you are trying to change.  In order to give you proper advice, please provide a link to the feature and the exact edit you are trying to apply to it.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 10

Hehe Jeroen! I actually do not know much about software, so maybe you'd be able to correct me perhaps? Unless it's to be referred to as algorithms.

Level 9

@Flash wrote:

Anyone can edit the map; a claim on a feature just makes them a trusted editor for that feature but does not give them control.

Places have multiple categories, but you can only see and edit one in Maps.  If this place already has both the Bank and ATM category applied to it, and you try to change Bank to ATM, it is likely to fail due to it being a duplicate category.

Please instead submit "Other Feedback/App Feedback" for the feature if you are unable to change it via a regular edit.

Thank you for clarifying. I also tried to change but the result comes "not applied". 

But I can wait for a good solution. 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 10

@Flash

Hi Flash,

Earlier in the thread is a link to the POI.

I never delete and recreate POI's intentionally.

I am trying to correct the POI and that means all the information that I know of. Sorry if I didnt clarify that but I wanted the post to be as simple as possible.

The POI has several edits required in the Name in English and the Name in Thai, as well as the category. I have tried editing each attribute one at a time.

I wouldnt be so hung up on this except that there are several more of these giving me the same issue.

@dєєpαкк wrote:

@Flash wrote:

Anyone can edit the map; a claim on a feature just makes them a trusted editor for that feature but does not give them control.

Places have multiple categories, but you can only see and edit one in Maps.  If this place already has both the Bank and ATM category applied to it, and you try to change Bank to ATM, it is likely to fail due to it being a duplicate category.

Please instead submit "Other Feedback/App Feedback" for the feature if you are unable to change it via a regular edit.

Thank you for clarifying. I also tried to change but the result comes "not applied". 

But I can wait for a good solution. 

I have previously edited numerous of these Banks IE Siam Commercial Bank , but suddenly it appears as if this particular bank has "blocked" edits or perhaps Google has done this. Is that possible?

Level 10

Here's another strange one. 7-Eleven I have applied a hundred times but this store will not accept.

What i did notice about this one is that there are 3 languages, so perhaps it was originally created in Danish?

https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/7-Eleven/@13.9487684,100.7925904,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m11!1m5!8m4!...

Level 10

I would recommend just to wait and hold off until further notice.

There's this major issue which is blocking the majority of legitimate edits, it seems as if the algorithm for acceptance/applications has changed and now everything seems to be getting rejected.

I know this is counterproductive, but I don't recommend making any more edits since they will not go through, not even will they also go to the approval queue. Just outright not applied. I'm waiting for a Google Moderator or community member to address this, but hopefully they will after a while.

Level 10

@Briggs

@Briggs wrote:

I would recommend just to wait and hold off until further notice.

There's this major issue which is blocking the majority of legitimate edits, it seems as if the algorithm for acceptance/applications has changed and now everything seems to be getting rejected.

I know this is counterproductive, but I don't recommend making any more edits since they will not go through, not even will they also go to the approval queue. Just outright not applied. I'm waiting for a Google Moderator or community member to address this, but hopefully they will after a while.

Is this a fact or a personal obvservation? Is it is so will there be any feedback to the community as to when this issue is solved?

Thanks

Connect Moderator

@Mjyates, I'm sorry, but without the answers to the questions I posed I cannot assist you further.