JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Category for store selling drinks only

Choosing the correct category for a point of interest can be tough - as a lot of you will have experienced already.

Sometimes switching the (desktop) interface to another language can help to remove ambiguity, but in 1 particular case, I don't find any proper category: stores that only sell beverages, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic. And I don't mean bars or coffee shops where drinks are served, but shops where you buy beverages in bottles and crates for consumption at home.

Any suggestions?

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
5 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Category for store selling drinks only

Hi @JanVanHaver,

In your situation, the most suitable category for these types of shops is Beverage Store.

I hope that you'll find this information useful. If not, feel free to reach out. 🙂

Cheers,

Klaudiya

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Thanks, @KlaudiyaG for the reply. In English that will indeed work well. But it seems that also for the category label 'Beverage store' the translations are not really very helpful. The French translation is "Fournisseur de bières" which means "Supplier of beer", the German one is "Biervertrieb" (beer seller), the Dutch one is "biergroothandel" (beer wholesale). A lot of those POIs are currently marked as 'Liquor store' which is obviously also not the proper one.

Translation/localization of labels remains a tricky business...

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 7

Beverage Store is not available in the picklist for US English and locations in USA

Are you using the UK English setting, @KlaudiyaG?

Connect Moderator

@sputnikjim I just did some additional testing, and it gets even weirder: when selecting 'English (United States)' as interface language in the desktop version, I am able to find & use the category 'Beverage Store', but when I refresh the screen and check the POI that I just changed, it then says 'Beverage Distributor' as category.

Connect Moderator

@KlaudiyaG There was another post (in German) on exactly the same topic and the author there claims that the German 'Getränkemarkt' (which corresponds to Beverage Store) was available in the past.

What could be the reason why categories get removed? In this particular case it seems to have been a bad decision.