LMG22's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Bus stops, place issues, feedback

Hey,

1. How should we go about when there are two bus stops (both going in opposite directions) across the street from each other, but share the same name? More specifically, the kind of bus stops that have a designated route, from point A to B back and forth. Do we create two different POIs with the same name and we mark one as 'left-side' and the other as 'right-side', or do we just have them share the exact same name and whoever's looking them up will (most likely) figure out which one to go to? Is there a better solution, perhaps?

2. I am encountering issues with editing/fixing places from time to time, quite often, but since I would rather not share publicly all the places I've been to, do I really need to create a thread every time I encounter such an issue, as @Flash suggested me in a previous thread of mine so that a connect/google moderator gets in touch with me? It just seems spammy doing that each and every time and I would end up cluttering the forums (as a side note, I sent @ArielleM_ a PM with several map issues, so I'd appreciate an answer, please).

3. Does Google or anyone from Maps read the feedback that we send via the 'submit feedback' feature in Google Maps? I'd, of course, prefer sending map issues from within the actual Maps and skip bothering moderators here on Connect, but I am honestly not sure if our issues are even received, let alone read and then fixed. I'd just like to know if it's worth sending this feedback or if it just goes on a waiting list of two years.....

It would also be nice if we received an automated, feedback-received confirmation e-mail.

Thanks!

7 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Bus stops, place issues, feedback

@LMG22 wrote:

1. So what is the exact procedure when we have missing bus stations? 

You could approach the local transit authority and see if they are working with Google.  They would need to be the one to add it.

2. In case I would rather not share publicly (due to privacy and stuff) the particular place I am encountering issues with, do I create a thread, explain the issue and then mention that I'd rather if a moderator could PM me so I can show them the place? Is this the correct/fair procedure? In my specific example, I am encountering an issue with a place to which I cannot suggest the right address for some weird reason. The field simply doesn't appear. I didn't want to make the place public, so I sent you a PM with it (on Sunday).

The forum rules are for sharing details are:

1. you are not to share anyone's (including your own) private details.
  2. you should also not name a business/place if you are accusing them of something (just in case you're wrong).
  3. naming a business/place for advise on how to add or improve them on the map is fine.

If your situation involves 1 or 2, then create a post without details and a mod will contact you for the details, but the continue the conversation publicly.

3. So there is an actual place for submitting feedback about a specific feature in maps? Because, honestly, I have never ever seen one and I looked for it everywhere, even right now. Apart from the general 'send feedback', I can't find a specific one. And just one more question to make sure I got it straight. If I have an issue with a particular place (just like the one I just mentioned in point no. 2), but there isn't absolutely any specific option in the window/editing area of that place to forward the issue to Maps, do I just submit it through the general 'send feedback' feature and the Maps team will (maybe) process it or will it just be read and compiled with other feedback?

Depending on the country there are multiple possible specific choices in Send Feedback, such as "Missing Place", "Missing Road", "Wrong information", etc.   I believe at this particular time every country has "Your opinions about Maps", which then has a description below it of "Share feedback, suggest new features, or report technical issues".  So you would use that last option to report overall issues, suggest features and give your overall impression about Maps, but it would not be appropriate to use it to report a data issue.  The data issues that Google is currently accepting reports for are in the other options; other issues cannot be reported at this time.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Hello @LMG22, about point 1: bus stops are part of the transportation layer, which is not open for local guides to edit. Google is working together with the companies or organisations providing public transportation to keep this info up to date.

About 3: I have no confirmed information on this, but I am pretty confident all feedback is read, but that the flood of messages makes it impossible to send specific feedback to every single one.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 10

@JanVanHaver The one with bus stops is actually surprising to hear because most bus stops that I have seen (at least in my region) have almost always one of the two missing, going as far as some being positioned incorrectly. Admittedly, I have never tried to create a bus stop because of what I already said in my first point, but I have just now looked up the 'bus stop' category in the category field and indeed it doesn't show up. So I am left with pictures of both bus stops, unsure which ones to upload since I don't know/can't tell which of the two bus stops is on the map.

Connect Moderator

Hi @LMG22,

1. Google is not accepting additions to transit features, but rather that layer is locked and Google instead works directly with the transit authorities.  They will allow you to suggest edits to existing transit features, but that is to catch things like misspellings or mislocated pins.  Any suggested edit is going to be confirmed with the local transit authority, and they will use the transit authorities names for the feature.  So to answer your specific question, you shouldn't be editing those features unless you see an obvious mistake.
  2. Yes, you need to post your questions; that is the purpose of the Mapping forum.  Posting them publicly also creates a database of answers others can consult.  The moderators are not going to accept questions that should be public via PM, as then we would just get the same questions over and over again (even more so then we already do).
  3. If there is a specific place in Send Feedback to submit your issue, it will be processed.  If you are submitting general suggestions those will be read and compiled with everyone else's feedback.  But if you are using a field designed to capture issue A to submit issue B then it will not be processed.
Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 10

Hey @Flash,

1. So what is the exact procedure when we have missing bus stations? In my region, it's not actually 100% the case, but just that there are two stations with the same name, but only one is shown on the map and we don't know exactly if it's the one on the left or right because in some cases they are on the left, but positioned as the real ones on the right and in some cases it's vice versa. Should I just report this via maps or maybe there's a special step for this? Because, from a general overview, I can tell that at least 90% of back-and-forth bus stops (sharing the same name and across the street from each other) have only one stop displayed (even if some are a bit further from each other).

2. In case I would rather not share publicly (due to privacy and stuff) the particular place I am encountering issues with, do I create a thread, explain the issue and then mention that I'd rather if a moderator could PM me so I can show them the place? Is this the correct/fair procedure? In my specific example, I am encountering an issue with a place to which I cannot suggest the right address for some weird reason. The field simply doesn't appear. I didn't want to make the place public, so I sent you a PM with it (on Sunday).

3. So there is an actual place for submitting feedback about a specific feature in maps? Because, honestly, I have never ever seen one and I looked for it everywhere, even right now. Apart from the general 'send feedback', I can't find a specific one. And just one more question to make sure I got it straight. If I have an issue with a particular place (just like the one I just mentioned in point no. 2), but there isn't absolutely any specific option in the window/editing area of that place to forward the issue to Maps, do I just submit it through the general 'send feedback' feature and the Maps team will (maybe) process it or will it just be read and compiled with other feedback?

Connect Moderator
Solution

@LMG22 wrote:

1. So what is the exact procedure when we have missing bus stations? 

You could approach the local transit authority and see if they are working with Google.  They would need to be the one to add it.

The forum rules are for sharing details are:

1. you are not to share anyone's (including your own) private details.
  2. you should also not name a business/place if you are accusing them of something (just in case you're wrong).
  3. naming a business/place for advise on how to add or improve them on the map is fine.

If your situation involves 1 or 2, then create a post without details and a mod will contact you for the details, but the continue the conversation publicly.

Depending on the country there are multiple possible specific choices in Send Feedback, such as "Missing Place", "Missing Road", "Wrong information", etc.   I believe at this particular time every country has "Your opinions about Maps", which then has a description below it of "Share feedback, suggest new features, or report technical issues".  So you would use that last option to report overall issues, suggest features and give your overall impression about Maps, but it would not be appropriate to use it to report a data issue.  The data issues that Google is currently accepting reports for are in the other options; other issues cannot be reported at this time.

Level 10

@Flash Awesome! All I needed to do was change the interface language of maps and more feedback options appeared. Thanks!

Regarding that place, the issue is that I simply cannot suggest the correct address in its editing area. The address field just doesn't appear. I've linked the place in question in a PM to you (subject of the message is 'address can't be edited'). This is all I can share about the place, here, publicly, so hope it's okay with you.

Connect Moderator

There is no reason why you could not have shared the place here; in the future please create a post for such places.  You'll find the reason why you can't add an address here.