sputnikjim's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Building footprints lacking street numbering

On the map at 760 North Twin Oaks Valley Rd, San Marcos, CA (760 NTOVR) is an orange-shaded building footprint.  The detail sidebar shows five businesses located there. As one would expect, each of these five features have this street address have markers within the building footprint.  

In the street in front of this building is the feature C & C Industrial Tire, 768 N Twin Oaks Valley Rd (768 NTOVR).  Let's say we want to move that marker from the middle of the street to its proper location, but thats not so easy in this case.

If we as Google Maps to find the address 768 N Twin Oaks Valley Rd, it shows us a property thats over three-quarters of a mile N of 760 NTOVR.  The poor street numbering along this road is a problem that I cannot solve myself, so Im not looking for answers to that.

The address 790 N Twin Oaks Valley Rd puts a marker close to the middle of a quadrangle of gray-shaded buildings.  There are no place markers in or close to these buildings.

A Google Maps user (not me) owns a business located at the address 768 NTOVR, so he knows the true addresses of the four building in this quad and where to move the place marker for C & C Industrial Tire.  I asked him to do this and explained how.  I will let you know what happens.

My questions:

1. Why is the footprint at 760 NTOVR orange-shaded and those at 790 NTOVR gray-shaded?

2. What is the best approach to giving Google the correct street numbers four the four gray-shaded buildings near 790 NTOVR?  Not asking about adding a new place, but rather adding an address attribute to an existing building footprint.

760 North Twin Oaks Valley Road, San Marcos, CA, United States
3 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Building footprints lacking street numbering

Hello,

The orange colouring you are inquiring about indicates a high traffic building.  Google auto-detects how many different people use each building to highlight where the businesses the public uses are located.

Addresses are determined through a combination of businesses that are addressed, buildings that are addressed, address markers and address ranges on street segments.  When you ask for an address all of those factors are considered and you are either provided the precise location or a predicted location.  The only way to know for sure which you were being given was to look within Map Maker, which is no longer available.  You also needed Map Maker to determine which factors were affecting the address position and to adjust them.  Until all of these items are added to Google Maps, the only way to ask for an address to be added or moved is to use "Send Feedback -> Other feedback" and describe the issue.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello,

The orange colouring you are inquiring about indicates a high traffic building.  Google auto-detects how many different people use each building to highlight where the businesses the public uses are located.

Addresses are determined through a combination of businesses that are addressed, buildings that are addressed, address markers and address ranges on street segments.  When you ask for an address all of those factors are considered and you are either provided the precise location or a predicted location.  The only way to know for sure which you were being given was to look within Map Maker, which is no longer available.  You also needed Map Maker to determine which factors were affecting the address position and to adjust them.  Until all of these items are added to Google Maps, the only way to ask for an address to be added or moved is to use "Send Feedback -> Other feedback" and describe the issue.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Interesante y pertinente. Muy bueno tu aporte.

Level 2

I have had good success in using Send Feedback on Google Maps.  I usually receive a response by the next day that it is being looked at.  Generally it takes less than a week for the address to be updated and the pindrop moved.  

Rural addresses are particularly vexing, as Google Maps will show a location and a dashed line across property to the center of a lot.  Small wineries and countryside wedding venues often have an access road that is a mile or more from where the map places it.  Sometimes old dirt driveways are abandoned when new paved driveways are installed to allow public access. Unfortunately, those updates aren't mandated on the check list of requirements when permits are pulled.

I just received a notice that one of my wedding venue changes had just been updated.  Now the pin for the address is attached to the entrance of the actual access road, approx 1.2 miles from the pin drop's original location.  That corrected an annoying as well as potentially dangerous issue, as there was no place to turn around for miles if you were in anything larger than a mid-sized sedan.

@GreggG wrote:

Hello,