valenzine's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Buenos Aires Zoo needs urgent attention

Hi!

I've been trying for almost a month to change a really important place in Buenos Aires but my suggestions keep being ignored.

The place is the former Buenos Aires Zoo, that is now called "Ecoparque Interactivo de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires"

Here is the official URL: https://turismo.buenosaires.gob.ar/es/atractivo/ecoparque-ex-zool%C3%B3gico

Here is the Google Maps URL: https://goo.gl/maps/MFaLBNFtyEN2

The place is a landmark in the city, as you can see on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buenos_Aires_Zoo) but it is wrongly located more than 100 kms away from the actual place and all because someone put the wrong address and pin.

I've tried submitting the URL as proof, changing the map marker, changing the address (Av. Sarmiento , 2601, Palermo, Buenos Aires) to no avail.

If you google "Buenos Aires Zoo" you will see that the map marker is not even within the city limits but in Bernal, a completely different city.

What can we do?

Zoológico de Buenos Aires, Bernal, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina
10 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Buenos Aires Zoo needs urgent attention

Hola @valenzine, ya solicite el cambio de posición en Maps, entró en revisión, por ser una zona importante, apenas esté aprobado te comento, quizás en el caso tuyo no se aplicó el cambio porque eres nivel 3, con pocas solicitudes de cambio, con el tiempo y el sistema observando que tus solicitudes de cambios son buenas, tus modificación se aprueban más rápidamente. 

IMG_2864.JPG

Level 6

También hay que cambiar el nombre: "Ecoparque Interactivo de la Ciudad (ex Zoológico)" (notar las mayúsculas).

En inglés: "Buenos Aires Ecopark (ex Zoo)"

La web oficial creo que es la de Turismo, de todos modos, aunque en este momento tiene problemas: https://turismo.buenosaires.gob.ar/es/atractivo/ecoparque-ex-zool%25C3%25B3gico

La categoría es Parque y ya no Zoológico (noté que lo corregiste, pero no está bien).

Hice estos cambios al menos cuatro veces ya.

Connect Moderator

Hello,

You state that you have been attempting to fix this for almost a month.

The review queue for Googlers is quite large right now.  Edits are taking over a month, and sometimes several months, to reach the top of the queue and be reviewed.

I'm afraid you will just have to wait your turn for review.  In the meantime please do not make additional duplicate edits, that just clogs up the queue for everyone.

You can always check in the Your Contributions section of Google Maps to see if you are still awaiting a review.  Click on the Edits sub-heading and each edit with it's current status should be displayed.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Connect Moderator

Hola @valenzine, si cambie las dos cosas, esperamos a que aplique este cambio y luego realizó el nuevo cambio de nombre y categoría, la pregunta es, los animales siguen en jaulas o no, o el nombre de ecoparque es solo un esnobismo u obedece a que es un parque como Temaiken del cual si creo que es un parque, esto solo es un pensamiento en voz alta ja, después leo un poco más en la página de la ciudad para entender mejor el cambio de categoría

un gran saludo 

Level 6

I only did it because it says "Not applied" instead of Pending.

Connect Moderator

I just did some reading, and there are lots of news stories stating that the zoo has been closed; and that an ecopark will replace it.

If this is so then I your edits are not being applied because they are incorrect.  

A place (or POI) on the map represents that establishment at that location.  If either one changes we mark it as closed.  Map Maker is just one resource that Google uses; the POI will be linked to many different resources that provide information about it.  If you attempt to change it to a different business or move it to a different location it will still continue to have the other resources feeding the old information into it, which will cause issues in perpetuity

Please create a new POI.  In the comments you can state that it's a new POI that replaces the old POI with a short code link to the old POI.  Note that this should not be done until the ecopark is actually open to the public.

Next please make a new edit to to the zoo to mark it Closed.  This should only be done once the zoo is closed down.

If the zoo is currently closed and the ecopark has yet to open then neither should be on the map as an active place.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 6

Gregg,

My edits are, in fact, correct.

The Ecopark is open. The "closing" of the zoo is merely symbolic, while they sort things out.

Map Maker is unavailable in Argentina (https://support.google.com/mapmaker/answer/155415?hl=en)

I don't know what 'sources' are feeding that POI, but the thing is that they are grossly incorrect. Once again, see for yourself how Google Maps shows the place MANY CITIES AWAY from the actual spot.

Check out the place on Google Maps (https://goo.gl/maps/rw6ni9wf6gD2) and what is actually located there (https://goo.gl/maps/rBsAk3mUC5E2). That doesn't look like a Zoo to me.

The Zoo is one of the city's most well known landmarks. The Ecopark thing is mostly a renaming of the actual spot.

Since the renaming has already been really clumsily done (as you can see on Google Maps) we should fix that and not mark it as closed or create a new landmark. 

The main problem is geocoding. For some reason the address is marked as "&, Sarmiento & Av. las Heras, Buenos Aires" and it confuses Buenos Aires City with Buenos Aires Province (where the city of Bernal is located).

I'm sorry if I'm not being clear, this is really frustrating. And it's frustrating the reviewers on Google Maps as well.

Disclaimer: I live one block away from the Zoo. If you need any kind of proof just let me know.

Connect Moderator

Your edits may reflect facts, but they are not how thing are handled in Maps.

A renaming is only allowed when absolutely nothing else changes.  As they are changing what they offer the public, Google considers this a new business.  Please follow the instructions I have given you.

If you wish to only correct the position of the zoo before you close it then that edit should be approved, but an edit that also changes the name or other details would not be approved.

Level 6

@GreggG wrote:

Your edits may reflect facts, but they are not how thing are handled in Maps.

A renaming is only allowed when absolutely nothing else changes.  As they are changing what they offer the public, Google considers this a new business.  Please follow the instructions I have given you.

If you wish to only correct the position of the zoo before you close it then that edit should be approved, but an edit that also changes the name or other details would not be approved.

Yes, changing the position is what brought us here. I tried it. @FaridTDF tried it.

The thing about what you describe as Google's rules is that they've been broken. As you have seen while researching, this Ecopark thing is new. So obviously someone was able to change the name of the place without closing it.

The POI has been closed on Google Maps. It still shows wrong information when you Google it (https://www.google.com.ar/search?q=zoo+buenos+aires). For instance, it still says it's located in Bernal.

I added the new "Ecoparque Interactivo". I'm hoping they approve it and change the metadata on Google search results.