Featurebox's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Blocks and Addresses

In Maps if I ask for address "347 Kang Ching Road, Singapore" I am brought to "Block 347, 347 Kang Ching Road, Singapore".

I want to add a photo to block 347, but block 347 doesn't exist.

So I have to create it under address "Block 347, 347 Kang Ching Road, Singapore".

This is an error according to me, a block should not be part of an address.

The picture you see at address "Block 347, 347 Kang Ching Road, Singapore" is mine.

I am pretty sure I have (tried to) create(d) Block 347 in the past. This may have lead to this (wrong) address (how did I accomplish this?).

But for some reason Maps has turned this into an address iso of a block (category "apartment building" or whatever).

An address cannot be edited, that's why I say "Block 347, 347 Kang Ching Road, Singapore" is an address.

I have just created Block 347 at this address, so this block will probably show up one of the coming days at address "Block 347, 347 Kang Ching Road, Singapore".

Note that his address (erroneously) contains block 346.

The reference to "Block" should be removed from the address.

An address is a location, not a good.

One day block 347 will be demolished and a supermarket comes in place.

Address should not change despite the new building.

Same with block 348, 346, ....

But not same with "517X Jurong West Street 52, Singapore" (X = A, B, C, D or E).

Same physical situation, but different situation in Maps.

David De Backere
Singapore
9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Blocks and Addresses

Hi @Featurebox can you share a link to the place in question please?

Thanks Paul

Level 8

Hello Paul,

https://www.google.com/maps/place/347+Kang+Ching+Rd,+Block+347,+Singapore+610347/@1.3404644,103.7185...

but you can simply enter "347 Kang Ching Road, Singapore" in the search box of Maps

David De Backere
Level 8

Hello Paul,

note that initial URL is https://www.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=347+Kang+Ching+Rd,+Singapore+610347

which redirects to URL mentioned earlier

David De Backere
Connect Moderator

@Featurebox, there is no option at this time to add address markers to the map.

Additionally, streets and addresses are not features to which pictures can be added.  If you are using workarounds to accomplish it, you are contributing bad data to the map.  Workarounds should never be used unless Google has endorsed them, as the rules of the map reflect the reality of how the database works and thus workarounds can cause all sorts of issues now or in the future.  I want to set your expectations correctly as you might suddenly find all your pictures have been removed.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Connect Moderator

Apartment buildings are an interesting case @Flash generally I agree with you, but I see photos on apartments (the outside) being useful for a couple of reasons

1. They are usually a business - there is a managing agent, company or body corporate which is a business entity and is usually represented in the apartment building as a place people can go who are seeking to interact with that business - probably better if its done through GMB as a non-tenant Local Guide knowing the details is unlikely.

2. In a crowded city like Singapore knowing which building you're going to is actually important so the exterior photo is very useful. You could argue that you could use street view but it's often not great when looking at tall things.

There is a new world wide addressing scheme using two strings of six characters which I believe Google is part of so stay tuned. Addresses may change soon(ish).

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

Businesses get their own POIs.  A large apartment building will normally meet the requirements (onsite management) to have it's own point POI to which a picture can be attached.

On top of that there is, as you say, Street View.

Even if neither of these were true, that it not an excuse to ignore the rules of the map.  Using workarounds will just cause bad data.  The rules are not in place to inconvenience us, but rather Google creates the rules to produce a workable map that won't have future issues.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Connect Moderator

Interestingly if you're making virtual tours @Flash you can attach them to just about anything, you don't even need a POI to do it. Arguably they should start at a POI (e.g. a trail head) but as you progress down the trail they have nothing.

You promised to send me a link to all these rules once but you never did, but that is ok because I know you can't... The old rules of Map Maker may well still apply, but as I've said before and I'll say again these good people here as Local Guides are acting in good faith with the Local Guides rules of which there are very few. I'm not saying your wrong, but I am saying we need better guidance because we can't point people to the Map Maker forum that has been deleted where all of these definitions once existed and no longer do. It's on my list for Summit questions. Perhaps a special interest group could be established across the Maps team and Local Guides who are interested in helping to establish current guidance.

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

At no time would I have been able to send you a link with all the rules, as they have never been all written down in one place.

Yes, the help files for Map Maker do need to be replaced.  Google is already aware of that, it has been discussed with them multiple times.  However, mapping is so complex that it is impossible to create a complete set of written rules; the rules have always been supplemented by information provided via direct conversation with TCs, RERs, RLs, other advanced mappers and Connect Moderators. 

It has been confirmed with Google that the rules of mapping in no way changed when Map Maker was closed; it was simply a tool and not something that defined the rules.  The Map Maker forum thus does remain an important resource; it contains many rules and interpretations that were never in the help files.  Now that mapping is instead discussed in the Maps forum and also here, they too both become resources even once Google completes a new help site for mapping.

Interestingly if you're making virtual tours @Flash you can attach them to just about anything, you don't even need a POI to do it.

I don't think you're understanding the defintion of a POI.  POI stands for Point Of Interest, and is standard map terminology to refer to a point place on the map.  Maps are made up of points and lines.*  While on Google Maps the points are referred to as POIs in the HTML and database, publicly Google refers to the points as places.  However, since GMB was known for years as Places before it was rebranded, the Google mapping community has always used POI to prevent confusion.  As you say, you need to attach the tour to something.  Anything that you attach it to is a POI.

Arguably they should start at a POI (e.g. a trail head) but as you progress down the trail they have nothing.

As an FYI, trailheads are not mappable features.  If you see one feel free to delete it.  Trails on Maps are represented by lines.  Trailheads were a place to let you find a trail, something not necessary on a digital map.

Virtual tours are always attached to a POI and are to represent that POI.  Extending a virtual tour beyond the feature to which they are attached to show other things or routes is a workaround, and like all non-approved workarounds is not to be done.  This particular workaround not being acceptable has been confirmed by Google in one of the threads right in this subforum, they stated that anyone doing so is putting the account in jeopardy.  This is an example of something that will never be specified in the help files, but which as a moderator or advanced mapper you can remember and pass along to others.

*you can also say polygons, but in the case of Google Maps a polygon is an attribute attached to a POI.  However, now that only certain POIs can have polygons, and for almost all features the process is to create a unnamed polygon to represent it and a separate point POI to contain all the data, polygons are almost a third features

Level 10

@Featurebox for some reason gmaps doesn't seem to like to specify blocks in their map POI. This is unlike some other maps which have details down to outlines of each HDB block. This is quite unfortunate and difficult for people to navigate around.

Follow Instagram & Twitter @jhender. SG updates at #singaporelocalguides. YouTube Fun with Maps