BradenA's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Best Outdoor Activities in New Mexico

Hello All!  I'm trying to put together a comprehensive list of all the awesome things to do here in New Mexico (and surrounding area) during the summer months.  I'm looking for favorite hikes, camping spots, out-of-the-way hang-outs, and generally beautiful places to get lost outside this summer (not literally "lost", just carefree).  Thanks for your recommendations!  Everyone who comments will be credited.Chaco Canyon, New Mexico, USA (aerial)Chaco Canyon, New Mexico, USA (aerial)

Albuquerque, NM, United States
4 comments
Level 3

Re: Best Outdoor Activities in New Mexico

@BradenA wrote:

Hello All!  I'm trying to put together a comprehensive list of all the awesome things to do here in New Mexico (and surrounding area) during the summer months.  I'm looking for favorite hikes, camping spots, out-of-the-way hang-outs, and generally beautiful places to get lost outside this summer (not literally "lost", just carefree).  Thanks for your recommendations!  Everyone who comments will be credited.Chaco Canyon, New Mexico, USA (aerial)Chaco Canyon, New Mexico, USA (aerial)

So many things to do outdoor here. The petroglyphs, hiking the Sandia, mountain bike, an hour west you have ice cave, four hours south you have white sand, Carlsbad caverns, three hours north you got Farmington close to Durango for skiing and snowboarding, or an hour north with Santa Fe, historic town, tons of artsy stuff...I could go on and on and on and on lol. Oh oh, or alien town of Roswell...

Level 5

Thanks Vincent!

Good suggestions.  Not much to do in Farmington itself, but Chaco Canyon is close to Farmington, and yes, Durango is close by.  Good call.  I'm really looking for the spots that aren't as common though (i.e. secret hiking spots, hidden trails, waterfalls, ghost towns, etc).

Level 8

State-wide or are you looking at a certain region? Wild Rivers Recreation area is under-visted for how pretty it is. Ojo Caliente is great after a hike. Cimmaron Canyon between Eagle Nest and Raton is a nice cool canyon for a summer hike, fishing, camping. Has cool geology too. Blue Hole in Santa Rosa is a good spot to cool off too. Kinda well known though. The hikes to Spence Hot Springs in the Jemez is a nice spot, along with the other springs in the area

Level 5

@LeanneArvila
Thanks for the recommendation of Wild Rivers! That's more the kind of thing I'm looking for.  Everyone knows about the traditional "tourist" spots, I'm looking more for places that aren't on maps that locals may know about.  Cimarron Canyon is beautiful, though can usually be very windy, and there aren't a whole lot of hiking trails, but is a very nice drive (the geology, as you mentioned, is amazing), and Angel Fire lake is a gem of the state, for sure.  As long as we're talking about that area, I'd like to include the St. James Hotel, which is a must-see for history buffs and fans of the "Old West" (Doc Holiday, BIlly the Kid, Callamity Jane, etc, all stayed there at one point, and the rooms have been kept very much the same since then.  You can even see bullet holes in the ceiling of the saloon area downstairs...) Blue hole is nice, but only if you're scuba diving.  Otherwise, it's just a really deep, but small, swimming hole that stays 42 degrees (f) year-round.  Spence Hot Springs is a must as well, and one of things you may not find on a tourist map.  Good call.  Thanks for the recommendations!