Skypher's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Azure Window edit not applied?

Oh seems that Google made an exception for this place, thanks Google team.

https://goo.gl/maps/nf3qHvzsLVL2

Now I will need to find all the ruins that have being deleted from maps in Rome and try to recreate, but this is another history.

Level 10

@Flash wrote:

First, remember that "on the map" and "allowed on the map" are two different things.  There are likely multiple places in your examples that need to be deleted from the map.  Others likely need to be edited.  Only some will be permitted as is.  Every single possible wrong edit can be found somewhere on the map; the presence of something inappropriate does not justify similar edits.

As has been stressed many times, all places on the map need a proper name to be mapped.  That name should not contain any descriptors not integral to the name.  If a place has been given a proper name in the real world that contains the word "ruin" then it is allowed as that is it's name.  But if it does not have that word in its name then adding the word "ruin", or any other descriptor, to the name is not permitted.  And if it does not have a proper name then it shouldn't be on the map at all.

Anyway, if you want to stay in the "safe harbour"

Following the rules of the map is not an option, rather it is a requirement.  I will ask you yet again to please not encourage workarounds and the breaking of the rules of the map.

Sorry for this misunderstanding @Flash I never meant to ask or suggest users to violate rules, I'm only here to help, and I'm glad that Google decided to make and exception for this wonderful place. That's why I've suggested to add a review to reflect the actual situation of the place, as alternative to a name change.

I want to add that I have personal knowledge of this place, as I've been in Malta for work some years ago.

My apologizes for being not so kind.

Sincerely

Level 7

Hi @Flash,

thank you very much for taking on my issue and talking to Google. Your further description of the mapping rules regarding POI names helped me to fully realize where the problem with my suggested edit lies.

--
Regards
Jonas

Level 7

Hey @LucioV,

I am fine and you? My edit is still pending but I guess it will be declined due to the reasons listed by @Flash. At least, I am now a little smarter regarding POI names. I am new on here and Google Maps in generel so I didn't know all the rules regarding contributions.

--
Have a nice day
Jonas

Connect Moderator

@LucioV,

There has not been any exemption granted by Google.  As stated, at this time they want it left as it has always been.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Former Google Contributor

Hi everyone!

First of all, thank you very much @LucioV for bringing this topic for discussion and also @Flash for escalating and discussing with us on the best approach.

For any POI on the the map, our general guideline is that names/titles should reflect how the place is known in the real world.  As for that reason, we asked to avoid edits (so it doesn't become a edit war) while we - Google - could discuss and come with the best approach on how to name the feature, as both suggestion are technically correct.

When a POI happens to have an identity change, we should generally mark the place as closed and create a new one with the new identity.... but this doesn't really work with Natural Features, as they are constantly open.

For the "Azure Window" issue, after discussing with our team we agreed on leaving the name as "Azure Window Ruins" as it is the current state of the feature.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.