Skypher's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Azure Window edit not applied?

Hello everyone,

I visited Malta last week and the famous Azure Window collapsed last year due to a storm. I suggested to edit this place to 1. permanently closed and after this got the declined to 2. doesn't exist. Both edits were not applied. I even provided a picture showing warning signs that were put up in the area. For example, one is stating it is illegal to proceed beyond a certain point. That "window" is definitely not there anymore, I was literally at the site. So why was my edit declined twice?

If you have experienced similar issues with the edit feature or even know the reason, feel free to share your knowledge with me.

Thanks in advance.

--
Jonas

Azure Window, San Lawrenz, Malta
15 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Azure Window edit not applied?

Hello,

If Google could trust everyone to always make good edits then there would never be denials, but unfortunately those that purposely or innocently add bad data have resulted in the need for filters.  Sometimes those filters will give a false positive, and sometimes those filters kick in due to you unknowingly violating a rule.  You can read more in this pinned post.

In addition to the advice given there, you also have the option of providing all the data including exact GPS location, any existing POI, and exactly what data you were trying to add or edit.  With that mapping experts can look it over and let you know if there are obvious and/or likely issues that you can fix in your next attempt.

With regards to this particular item, it sounds as if it's still something that people would visit even if it's broken; in fact I see photos taken from boats have been added showing how it now appears.  While it has changed, it still is in fact a historical landmark, which is how it is represented on the map.  I'll bring it up with Google, but I suspect that how it is currently on the map is appropriate.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

Hi @Skypher we cannot know why this edit was rejected. I can remember this great natural feature, so sad when collapsed.

I suggest you not to close (that does not really makes sense in this case) the geographical feature, but to change the name into something like :"Azure Window ruins"

Or you can simply add this to the review; hopefully visitors will have a look to useful reviews before going to that place.

Makes sense for you?

Level 7

Hello Lucio,

Makes total sense to me. Thanks for the suggestion.

--

Greets 

Jonas

Connect Moderator

Please remember that names on the map are to be actual names and not descriptions.  Adding "Ruins" to it would make it a description and is not appropriate.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 7

Oh okey, didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

--

Regards

Jonas

Level 10

@Skypher wrote:

--

Regards

Jonas

There is plenty of examples.

https://www.google.it/maps/search/roman+ruins/@43.7438603,11.091065,7z/data=!3m1!4b1?hl=it

https://www.google.it/maps/search/rovine/@43.7079409,11.0909809,7z/data=!3m1!4b1?hl=it

And are all allowed in Maps.

I think it's better to add information than close a place that is actually a geographic feature not closed 😉

Anyway, if you want to stay in the "safe harbour", just add informations in your review of the place (I've been here some years ago, so I miss it...) 

Connect Moderator

First, remember that "on the map" and "allowed on the map" are two different things.  There are likely multiple places in your examples that need to be deleted from the map.  Others likely need to be edited.  Only some will be permitted as is.  Every single possible wrong edit can be found somewhere on the map; the presence of something inappropriate does not justify similar edits.

As has been stressed many times, all places on the map need a proper name to be mapped.  That name should not contain any descriptors not integral to the name.  If a place has been given a proper name in the real world that contains the word "ruin" then it is allowed as that is it's name.  But if it does not have that word in its name then adding the word "ruin", or any other descriptor, to the name is not permitted.  And if it does not have a proper name then it shouldn't be on the map at all.

Anyway, if you want to stay in the "safe harbour"

Following the rules of the map is not an option, rather it is a requirement.  I will ask you yet again to please not encourage workarounds and the breaking of the rules of the map.

Level 10

@Skypher wrote:

--

Regards

Jonas

Hi Skypher! How are you doing? Any news on that place? I saw there are several duplicates, in the area, I'm marking for closure, and working on the main geographical feature too.

I suspect I will not see Roman Ruins anymore 😞 Thousands of history will be soon deleted from maps, so sad.

Connect Moderator

Hi @Skypher,

I just finished talking to Google about this POI.  They agree, for the short term at least there should be no changes made as it is a valid place that people will seek out.  They are going to look at it in more detail and decide if any changes need to be done going forward, as it is an unusual case where the feature has changed, but it still does exist and would be sought out.  Perhaps they can make a special ruling allowing an exception to the naming or maybe they will change it to a natural feature.