Amiran's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Ask to reinstate one landmark by Google

Hi, One spammer removed one main landmark from the map. This caused many reviews and photos, 360 and even time schedule to be hidden from the map. I've reported the issue by the "Send Feedback" option but there is no action after two weeks. I know there are thousands of reports allover the world and it takes time but also this is one important point and if it hasn't it's main POI on the map it will cause adding duplicates by users. So I think such cases needs sooner action.

This landmark has name of the square so hope not to be confused with the square itself 🙂 This is the link of POI which currently isn't visible or even searchable on the map. This is just a hidden link: "Valiasr Square"

I ask the support team (@GusMoreira, @TraciC and others) to recover this landmark to be visible again on the map as previous status.

And I have one question, If we have no such link for a important removed POI (Ex: tourism attraction) can Google reinstate it as well only by having it's coordinates? @Flash

Many thanks

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Valiasr Square, Tehran, Tehran Province, Iran
18 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Ask to reinstate one landmark on Maps by Google. Two addresses with same name at the same place

I think this could require an escalation to some Googler, but here i'm not able to do so: if you want you can try to replicate into more appropriate board Google Maps and Earth support forum as for Gus advice (https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Posting-on-quot-Mapping-your-World-quot-Boa...) and i will try to escalate.

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Re: Ask to reinstate one landmark by Google

Hello,

From what I can see, I don't feel that a spammer is the issue here.

As you already mentioned, the square is already mapped.  Adding a secondary feature to represent the same thing would be creating a duplicate.

It sounds like there was a second feature using the category of "Tourist Attraction".  If so, then what has likely happened is that either Google or a mapper removed the feature because it was an unnecessary duplicate.

Features should have only one POI each on the map.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

Haha 😅, Dear @Flash if you remember asked this question about this POI in past months and I explained completely. Even I explained above not to confuse with the square itself. This is real POI and landmark. Since past few months it has even more tourism usage because of starting its plaza. Anyway by previous report in past months Google reinstated this but again one spammer removed it and forced me to discuss here. So don't worry, this is not duplicate at all. And you know I'm familiar with such basic rules and will not request against the rules.

Anyway can you please response about reinstate the cases that we have no link to them?

Level 10

@AmirN wrote:

Haha 😅, Dear @Flash if you remember asked this question about this POI in past months and I explained completely. Even I explained above not to confuse with the square itself. This is real POI and landmark. Since past few months it has even more tourism usage because of starting its plaza. Anyway by previous report in past months Google reinstated this but again one spammer removed it and forced me to discuss here. So don't worry, this is not duplicate at all. And you know I'm familiar with such basic rules and will not request against the rules.

Anyway can you please response about reinstate the cases that we have no link to them?

Hi @Amiran sorry i don't think there is a way to reinstate the POI after this spam/cracking action. I suggest to you not to write down in public POIs that could be confused as someone could try to ask for duplicate removal, i will never do it again!

P.S. Any luck with the Railway Station? I tried but my request seems to be stuck

Level 10

Thanks @LucioV, You're right I was also in doubt to post here or not but can't find better way because every time Google only suggest LGC to me.

And about Tehran Railway Station, unfortunately no. It is still at wrong location 😕 my edit is in pending mode and also no action from the team. This caused many routing problems for users.

Level 10

Re: Ask to reinstate one landmark on Maps by Google. Two addresses with same name at the same place

Dear AmirN,

Thanks for this interesting question.

I looked at the link you have provided: This is just a hidden link: "Valiasr Square"

I did a search on Google Maps for Valiasr Square, and I got this result. I also made a search on Google and on duckduckgo for Valiasr square, last I evaluated the distance between ValiASr Square and the result of a search for Valiasr Square on Go....

What you explain about the landmak that has the same name as the square is difficult to understand for people like me who do no know the place. And indeed if there are two locations with the same name at the same place on Google Maps, you can be sure that very few people will be able to understand which is which, so maybe Google made a good decision by removing what  seems to be a duplicate.

I would suggest that you send another feedback that shows that Maps is 2km away from the right place for search on Valiasr Square. It is a simple issue that Google should be able to fix.

Hope this help.

Cheers

Level 9
Level 9

@AmirN wrote:

So don't worry, this is not duplicate at all.

On the face of it we have two listings for the same thing, so duplication currently exists?

https://goo.gl/maps/U5hJMdHs1pt

https://goo.gl/maps/Nm45xkSwKjw

Your initial question states: This is just a hidden link: "Valiasr SquareSo in other words you're saying the map listing is live but there's no icon permanently on the map? That's normal map behaviour and not something you can alter via "Send Feedback" Not every feature can always be seen, the algorithms will decide what gets shown and when.

There has been no spammer nor spam action here. Nothing has been removed from the map

Level 10

@JeanRV Maybe there be difficult for unfamiliar people but what should we do when they really exist with such name? Street is one thing and POI is another so I don't know why people confused with these two. While photos are completely obvious.

@Pea 😭 How many times should I explain that I know these basic mapping methods? This place had icon, photos, reviews, 360 and even automatic time schedule on the map. To prevent from confusing I even mentioned that this is not even searchable while previously was.

To be sure that this is correct you should now that one spammer previously removed that but Google re-stored it. But after months again another spammer removed it. I only ask Google to reinstate it again.

Please let Googlers to have a look into this and response me about the question, Is there any way to reinstate POIs that we have no link to them and only know the coordinates?

Level 9
Level 9

@AmirN wrote:

How many times should I explain that I know these basic mapping methods?

Your usage of the word spammer suggested that you weren't that familiar. A spammer would be someone adding junk to the map. If someone has incorrectly removed something, they may be a bad mapper or even malicious, but they're not a spammer.

If a feature is 'hidden' but can be found by search that's normal. If a feature has been marked Permanently Closed it can be re-opened. If it has actually been deleted from the map then it can't be recovered.

Level 10

@Pea Yes, I am familiar at least with basics. There were some spammers in past weeks whom tried to remove tourist locations from the map. I've denied many of them but in some cases they could remove POIs in Tehran and other cities. Because of that I've asked about restoring POIs that we have no link to them. On the other hand when one user remove one tourism locations with many information from the map this is not only a mistake. This is deliberate action and is kind of spam.

And about the hidden or not. Again I should tell that this place had icon, was searchable and had many other info on the map. Still the link works but it is not on the map anymore. I think Google can reinstate it like previously did.