BorislavA's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Areas names of one brand listings

Hello, friends!

For listings that are with one name, but have multiple locations in different areas /in one city/, is it ok listing to be named such as:

Coffee shop Kingston

Coffee shop Camden

Coffee shop Sutton

or not , just

Coffee shop .. and the address and location do the rest ??

Thank you.

Ecology University Master degree, happy married, father of a child with Down Syndrome. I love contributing to Google maps, fixing errors, adding new places and help people using the map.
1 comment

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Areas names of one brand listings

This is the closest answer.

To be more precise, descriptors should not be used in a name unless the are integral to the name.  For chains they should all be named the same.

A descriptor is not just a location, but also adding a category unnecessarily.  So "Starbucks Coffee Shop" should just be "Starbucks".

What was meant by integral is, if there is an area named "McMillan" due to the main street in the area being called "McMillan Road", you might then have also "McMillan Church", McMillan Grocery", "McMillan Coffee Shop", "McMillan Mall", etc.  To call any of them just "McMillan" would not make sense; for each the descriptor is integral to the name.  So while "Starbucks Coffee Shop" would not be allowed on the map, "McMillan Coffee Shop" would be.

But neither would then be completed with " - McMillan", "McMillan Street", "Toronto", "Downtown", etc.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Areas names of one brand listings

This is the closest answer.

To be more precise, descriptors should not be used in a name unless the are integral to the name.  For chains they should all be named the same.

A descriptor is not just a location, but also adding a category unnecessarily.  So "Starbucks Coffee Shop" should just be "Starbucks".

What was meant by integral is, if there is an area named "McMillan" due to the main street in the area being called "McMillan Road", you might then have also "McMillan Church", McMillan Grocery", "McMillan Coffee Shop", "McMillan Mall", etc.  To call any of them just "McMillan" would not make sense; for each the descriptor is integral to the name.  So while "Starbucks Coffee Shop" would not be allowed on the map, "McMillan Coffee Shop" would be.

But neither would then be completed with " - McMillan", "McMillan Street", "Toronto", "Downtown", etc.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages