johnanderson's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Annoying Maps Approval Issue

There is a park in my Dallas neighborhood that was recently re-named to remove its original name "Robert E. Lee Park" due to it being named after a Confederate general and the racist connotations that brings.

The new name is "Oak Lawn Park" which is the original name of the park previous to it being re-named after the general.

Someone has applied the name "Oaklawn park" to the park which is completely wrong. The word Park should be capitalized and the word Oaklawn should be Oak Lawn after the adjacent street and because that is the official spelling and spacing of the park name. 

The park board officially has re-named it to "Oak Lawn Park". Every time I try to change "Oaklawn park" to "Oak Lawn Park" the change gets rejected. 

This is important to the community because the name change had a lot of debate and emotions. 

Can someone please let me know how I can get this name change effected and accepted?

Sources for Name Change:
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas-city-hall/2017/09/22/dallas-robert-e-lee-park-officially-rena...
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas-county/lee-park-will-again-be-oak-lawn-park-for-now/477853255
https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburner/2017/09/lee-park-will-be-oak-lawn-park-for-now/

Oaklawn park, Turtle Creek Boulevard, Dallas, TX, United States
5 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Annoying Maps Approval Issue

Hello @johnanderson,

Your edit suggestions to Google Maps that are "Pending" or "Not Applied" go through various automated systems as well as Base Map partnerships. Google algorithms analyze different factors, such as the information submitted, the location of the edit, your mapping activity, and other factors to make sure everything we are adding to the map is accurate and follows our guidelines.

There are regions around the world where there simply is not enough information for some edits to come through successfully (or immediately) and it certainly has nothing to do with you personally. The more information you (or other LG's) collect about a place gives your edit a better chance of getting through. Best of luck with any future suggestions you choose to make and for additional info, please check out this post here

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 8

Hello, How can I provide more information about changing the name to the correct name? I can post links to news articles in here on the forum, but there is no way for me to do so using Maps. Can someone just change it by looking at my information in here and bypass the process? lol

@BruceDM wrote:

Hello @johnanderson,

Your edit suggestions to Google Maps that are "Pending" or "Not Applied" go through various automated systems as well as Base Map partnerships. Google algorithms analyze different factors, such as the information submitted, the location of the edit, your mapping activity, and other factors to make sure everything we are adding to the map is accurate and follows our guidelines.

There are regions around the world where there simply is not enough information for some edits to come through successfully (or immediately) and it certainly has nothing to do with you personally. The more information you (or other LG's) collect about a place gives your edit a better chance of getting through. Best of luck with any future suggestions you choose to make and for additional info, please check out this post here

Level 10

@johnanderson in addition to what @BruceDM said, I might point out that the news stories you're referring to are a "recommendation", the name change is not final until the City Council approves it (yes, I've been following this story as well). Therefore, the urgency to get this name change approved is not there (also it will take time for the signs to be changed, etc.)

Likewise, under the former Map Maker, edits had to be made using personal knowledge, as news stories are copyrighted, and per the published policy copyrighted materials could not be used as a reference. While Map Maker may no longer exist, I suspect the same rules apply to edits made in Maps.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
Level 7

The Street View imagery is too old for it to be useful in proving to Google that the park's name has changed.

Find one or two places where there is a sign showing the new name and take geo-coded photos of the sign(s).  Upload them to a publicly accessible folder/album on a site such as Google Photos.  Get a link to that folder/album and share the link in a Feedback request to Google to correct the name.  You will need to use the "Other feedback" process.

Feedback that must be dealt with by Google employees--rather than just by software algorithms--has a very large backlog.  Expect to wait at least two months, perhaps even three now, to see results.

Former Google Contributor

Hello @johnanderson - It appears your change went through!  

I am not available to respond on the weekend