GusMoreira's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

An Update on the Map Edits Review Process

Hi everyone,

As may of you are aware, we implemented a change to our algorithms last month which caused a disproportionate amount of mapping contributions from some of our most active contributors, many of whom are Local Guides, to be denied. The team has been working hard since this issue was first identified — here in Connect — and thanks to your examples, we not only found the problem but are pleased to share that a fix has been implemented.

This means that most of your correct edits should be instantly applied, however, some of your edits may still be denied due to policy or other issues. You should expect to see your edits return to the state prior to the algorithm adjustment.

We recognize this has been a frustrating experience and thank you for helping us to keep Google Maps updated and accurate for all.

As always, your feedback is welcome directly within Google Maps, as well as here on Connect.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
71 comments
Level 6

Edits not getting approved

Recently my edits do not get approved especially for adding a place although providing all info including images. Anyone can help me? 

Level 10

Re: Edits not getting approved

HI @CocoDias this topic is being discussed a lot on Connect and as general rule, you should search your question in search box first to see if the topic has been answered already. 

The recent update of algorithms has caused issue of machine denying many good edits. I think you can try later and there is still chance machine will approve your edit. Please read this thread for your further info https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Feedback-and-Feature-Requests/Forever-Not-Applied/m-p/546337#M...

Level 10

Re: An Update on the Map Edits Review Process

Hello @GusMoreira

Thank you so much for informing important information.

Follow me here.....
Level 10

@GusMoreira wrote:

As may of you are aware, we implemented a change to our algorithms last month which caused a disproportionate amount of mapping contributions from some of our most  

A minor correction, @GusMoreira: the change was implemented on or around October 10, about two months ago.

Again, thank you for keeping us informed!

Level 10

Presumably there is no change control in place for the team creating these algorithms? 

All of this confusion, frustration and hostility could have been easily avoided with a simple rollback. 

By all means improve things to what we have now but to leave us with an algorithm that wasn't fit for purpose is an insult. 

Connect Moderator

Hola @turbotapeworm, descuenta que existen muchos controles de calidad sobre los algoritmos, o sobre cualquier proceso que se implementa, pero también ten en cuenta que el problema que existia antes era peor, ya que se estaban registrando muchos abusos de spam y eso dañaba muchísimo a los negocios y a los aportes verdaderos. Es verdad que afecto, un poco a algunos Local Guides como tú y otros más, que de buena fe trataban de aportar. Solamente se podía tener paciencia.

Bueno ya fue optimizado  el proceso de aprobación y estoy seguro que beneficia a todos, a los 50 millones de Local Guides del mundo 🌍 . Y a la buena imagen de todos los negocios y empresas del mundo que están en nuestro Google Maps, el cual tenemos que velar porque su información sea lo más fidedigna posible. Por lo tanto podemos estar contentos 😀 de la buena noticia que GusMoreira nos trajo. 

Un saludo Farid.

Level 10

@GusMoreira wrote:

This means that most of your correct edits should be instantly applied, however, some of your edits may still be denied due to policy or other issues. You should expect to see your edits return to the state prior to the algorithm adjustment.

I appreciate the update and I'm elated to know that a fix has been implemented. 64 long days have elapsed since The Great Algorithm Shift, and I'll remember the 13th of December 2017 as a hallmark of the forever not applied era.

That being said, we shall progress forward. Whenever some of our edits might still be denied or immediately rejected and I can't figure out any of the 13 billion reason why, I hope you don't mind me posting here on Local Guides Connect to vet the suggestion and dissect it for community members and a diagnostic team to help out. As I had posted, there were two places that I had an issue attempting to update which were immediately not applied which is quite mysterious:

It will be about due and high time that I now focus my pursuits away from the negative connotations that have risen from the infamous thread and divert my energy back to mapping and productive pursuits, and it's all thanks to you and your team. I will be in hot pursuit of the following topics now over time and will hopefully continue to think of ideas to further improve the process and Google Maps as a whole. It's been a rough time for me and the affected members of the group, but we're glad it's all over now.

Topics in Pursuit:

• The reinstatement of Maprang Thai in Lawson, removed around 22/11/2017. Since I can change categories seamlessly now, there should be no more issue in changing it from Restaurant to Thai Restaurant.
  • The collaboration of removing irrelevant photos from the map, especially from Lennox Bridge in Parramatta. While I'm glad my photo accurately represents the heritage-listed bridge, there are still many photos of the Three Sisters in Katoomba, the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House, in making sure we are extremely diligent in our removals. Great work has been done, but we're probably halfway there with this particular case.
  • Checking the facts when advising whether photos are relevant to a place or not, only seeming to be currently enabled in Los Angeles.
  • Effective dealing and communication with GMB spammers and/or listing databases, such as adding lengthy marketing taglines, adding or blocking incorrect representation information to the listing's name and the inclusion of location/containment information. Right now there is a plethora of automation software as well as a single owner-initiated click which "protects" this incorrect information of these businesses, and so I'm hoping we will see more evolve in that field.
  • An Overhaul of the Current Moderation Process.

Thank goodness, I can now breathe a sigh of relief. I can't really do much edits at the moment since it's blazing hot outside (37ºC) and because I am a snowflake who can't stand hot temperatures.

Let's move.

Level 10

Great to hear that!

Level 10

@FaridTDF - sadly I'm British and cling on to the imperialist view that I only need English to get by. I can order a ham sandwich in France but sadly I can't read your response. 

I could Google translate it of course but I haven't as time is short and I thought I was in the English language section of the forum rather than a regional group. 

Despite this, and the fact you could be calling me an idiot, I appreciate your response and hope it's useful to those who can read it.