cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Reply to An Update on the Map Edits Review Process

Hello,

@Flash, the secondary category are gone with Google Map Maker,
@GusMoreira I propose to make the possibility to take a contribution link and create a thread to ask the waiting request as we do before on MapMaker.

because it's impossible to refuse our contribution every time.

zr0669
Level 10

If in Google My Business there exists the ability to have multiple categories (which I have personally found in my iteration of GMB), if a business isn't claimed and may have had multiple categories due to being merged, then if there is no secondary category shown on Google Maps, it is dead and gone just as Map Maker had closed down. The secondary category would be made redundant, and unless you were working behind the scenes with Google Maps, they do not exist.

Flash wrote: 

Features can have multiple categories, but within Maps we can only see and edit the primary one... I'll mention that Monument would not be the appropriate category for the Statue of Liberty, as the more exact category of Statue also exists.

Let's rewrite that statement into the case of the Maprang Thai Restaurant: "I'll mention that Thai Restaurant would not be the appropriate category for Maprang Thai Restaurant, as the more exact category of Restaurant also exists." which you theoretically gave in response when I had algorithmic approval issues. Now that we know that they can be edited freely provided it is an "unseeable, hypothetical" secondary category given with hundreds of examples, I'm sure the proponent of secondary categories still existing after the cessation of Google Map Maker is circumstantial, or perhaps more so pure hypothesis.

The possibility of a second category can only be looked at using tests. Using one of my family friend's businesses, he owns a Car Repair workshop. On his GMB listing he has two categories:

• The Primary category being Car Repair and Maintenance, and...
  • Secondary category being Mechanic.

Interchangeable terms, I suggested an edit to change the category of the listing from Car Repair and Maintenance to Mechanic. The change was immediately applied, and so the business' primary category became a Mechanic. Afterwards, I again suggested another edit to the category of Engineering Consultant instead. The edit reached pending, and was viewable on the GMB dashboard, to which the owner rejected manually as consulting was not part of the business. That was proven effective as that appeared in my contributions as Not Applied.

If listing A had the category of Restaurant, and listing B had the category of Indian Restaurant, and listing B was marked and processed as a duplicate, I personally believe that the only data that would be merged are the reviews and search engine data. Why listing A might just attach listing B's category as a secondary one might make sense, but not being able to interchange them would not make sense unless the listing was protected/embargoed from further edits. I do think once Map Maker died, unless the business was claimed under a GMB listing, so did the possibility of having a secondary category.

We are no longer in a Map Maker environment.

Connect Moderator

@AdamGT wrote:

When you say Edit am I to read that you also mean add a new POI in the secondary category?

No, we do not create more than one POI per feature, that creates duplicates.

POIs have multiple categories.  There are multiple tools that let those extra categories be edited, Maps is not one of them.

Also, it would be helpful to see a list of these secondary categories. Can you direct me to this?

They are not any different than the primary category, with the exception that some categories were not permitted to be used as the primary category.

We are starting to get quite off track for this thread, please read this post and then create a new thread if you have further questions.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Connect Moderator

@Redouane, Map Maker was nothing more than a tool to view and edit the database.  And it was one of multiple such tools.  The retirement of one access tool did not change the composition nor functionality of the database.

This is not the proper thread, however, to debate this further.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Connect Moderator

Before leaving this thread @Flash I want to mention again my comment in my previous message please which you may have missed. Is the issue raised therein something you can attend to?

You finished your reply saying that you "are here in the forums to answer such questions for you; please do post if you have other questions." Thank you for this. I posted another question about a month ago now and it has been stuck in some rejected queue since. It's on the topic of Never Applied so would you be kind enough to review and approve it. Perhaps it was considered spam by some program and has been waiting for human checking. As you will readily see it is not spam. I would appreciate your advice on the problem I have raised therein.

Leaderboards:  * Points   * Photos   * Videos   * Countries   * Movers & Shakers
  Star Leaderboards:    * Photos    * Videos   * 360 Spheres
  Star Albums:   * Photos   * Videos   * 360 Spheres   * Stars Discussions
  Join in:      * How to Register    * Register   * Login   * Extensions
Level 4

Re: An Update on the Map Edits Review Process

Still our locations not applied or pending since 2 weeks now
Level 8

Hi Gus @GusMoreira

Thank you for the update.

Cheers

@GusMoreira wrote:

Hi everyone,

As may of you are aware, we implemented a change to our algorithms last month which caused a disproportionate amount of mapping contributions from some of our most active contributors, many of whom are Local Guides, to be denied. The team has been working hard since this issue was first identified — here in Connect — and thanks to your examples, we not only found the problem but are pleased to share that a fix has been implemented.

This means that most of your correct edits should be instantly applied, however, some of your edits may still be denied due to policy or other issues. You should expect to see your edits return to the state prior to the algorithm adjustment.

We recognize this has been a frustrating experience and thank you for helping us to keep Google Maps updated and accurate for all.

As always, your feedback is welcome directly within Google Maps, as well as here on Connect.

Level 7

My edits are still being denied instantly, never even making it to review. I am a level 6 local guide with hundreds of place edits, and the recent near impossible rates of approval are frustrating and honestly disgraceful. Please do something about it or the community will end up going elsewhere!

Level 6

Just edited a local lunch business. Changed owner - changed name and phone number. Instant NOT APPLIED. This is absurd.

Level 10

Hello @GusMoreira

Thank you so much for advertise important information.