GusMoreira's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: Genuine Places added are 'not applied'

Hi @Akhileshgarg! Good to have you here. Kindly check out this post by @Corrie. It explains it perfectly.

Level 7

Local Guides Problems in Pakistan

Here in Pakistan when I make edits, most of the edits remain pending or not approved while I am sure of what edits am making. There are very few LGs and many of them do not try to make sure that the suggested changes are correct or not. I want all LGs to take edits seriously and only reject wrong info. or skip the edit and move to the next one. There is no rush to increase your level as its just a volunteer activity to make maps better. If you are making less progress and doing quality work then you are going great, you are positively contributing to the community.

Level 4

Not applied

Recently every place I added give me pending or not applied
Former Google Contributor

Re: Not applied

Hi @FattahBuzahra @Akhileshgarg and @MubeenU

Moving your posts into this related thread -  "An Update on the Map Edits Review Process". Please read here for further updates, too. 

Thank you for your support and patience.

* Due to the volume of private messages please note that I do not reply to them
Connect Moderator

Reply to An Update on the Map Edits Review Process

Sadly, @GusMoreira@BruceDM and @MariaBi et. al. I'm not convinced. This is now beyond frustrating, really it is. I'm contributing my valuable time trying to improve the accuracy and quality of Google Maps (GM) and the continual repeated "Not Applied" without any reason given is soul destroying. It's killing my enthusiasm for GM and not at all helpful. Here is yet another, my latest (today's) example:

There is an important cairn, a place marker, at Nordkapp (the northernmost point in Europe) in Norway which marks the beginning of what is known as the E1 European long distance trail. I was recently there and have seen this place marker, stood in front of it and have taken photographs of it. There are also photos of this place marker on GM taken by others, here is just one example which clearly shows the place marker:

2017-12-15 - E1 Carin Nordkapp.jpg

And, here is the link to the Wikipedia website that describes this place marker. Here are some of my frustrating attempts I've gone through to try to add this place marker:
 to GM
2017-12-15 - E1 Carin Nordkapp - Not Applied.JPG

As I've written within Connect once before, OK there may be a valid reason for the repeated Not Applied, but please Google, as I've suggested once before in the Feedback and Feature Request Forum (see:  Reason for NOT APPLIED) it would be very helpful that if:

"a suggested place creation is not applied then there must be a reason why GM believes this and surely it makes sense that I as a Local Guide should be advised of this reason.

Help me so that I can help you!!

This shouldn't be such a guessing game!!

This shouldn't be such a frustrating process!!

This shouldn't be taking the time that it's taking!!"

Now, as suggested by @GusMoreira I've submitted feedback on this directly within Google Maps, and of course as well as here on Connect however, based on experience with giving feedback to date, and believe me I've done heaps of it, I'm not very hopeful nd getting a response. It just feels like a bottomles pit, a waste of time and effort.

If Google wants me to invest my valuable and considerable time and effort in helping to keep Maps updated and accurate, then as LGs we deserve much better than this. If a place creation is rejected then Google must provide a reason for that rejection. 

Wishing all you Google and Connect Moderators and fellow LGs @Briggs, @KathrynH@Ozi@UlrichB@talormanda@wishmasterf and @Zethab, just to mention a few that I know well are interested in this topic, the very best forthe Holiday Season.

Former Google Contributor

Re: Edits not getting approved

Thank you! @KimLong

Hello @CocoDias, I merged your post to  An Update on the Map Edits Review Process. Please read this post. Thank you!

Connect Moderator

Re: Reply to An Update on the Map Edits Review Process

Hello @AdamGT,

It appears you are attempting to mark a trailhead.  Just as we don't mark the beginning of roads, rail lines or rivers with markers; trails also do not have separate markers from the line that denotes the trail.  Add a point marker in addition to the line also would create a duplicate.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 9

Re: An Update on the Map Edits Review Process

Hello @GusMoreira

Now that the algorithm has been fixed, could you please run all the recent denials through it so that those that were denied in error can now be approved?

Nigel Allen
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Connect Moderator

If that's the case @Flash as I have suggested several times before, the system should give that reason on the first attempt made.  Rather than simply getting the "Not Applied" message we should be given the reason for this outcome. It would save a lot of time and frustration. Do you agree?

Connect Moderator

That would add an impossible level of complexity to the algorithms.  Algorithms today involve a lot of machine learning.  Machine learning means they learn that an edit is bad, but doesn't mean they know exactly why it's bad.

In the days of the advanced editing tool Map Maker, Google tried experimenting with humans providing explanations, and found that 99% of people didn't come back to read the explanation.  Beign a non-specialized mapping tool it would be an even worse percentage in Maps.

In this case it's something one could figure out on their own; the feature neither has a proper name nor is there an appropriate category for it; so it is missing two of the basic requirements for being on the map.  You might not realize that when you begin mapping, but we are here in the forums to answer such questions for you; please do post if you have other questions.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages