GusMoreira's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: An Update on the Map Edits Review Process

Hi @bhasibahuleyan just an fyi that Gus is no longer a Googler.

Regards Paul

Level 7

@OStr

To your knowledge has there be any major modifications to the automated system since 10th October 2017 ?

Please advise.

Thank you.

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■
Level 10

Yes, @aka_Rὁn, the fix that Gus announced here on December 12, 2017 essentially solved the October issue. If you're still getting most of your edits rejected, it could be an unrelated issue.

Level 7

@OStr

Thank you for confirming the dating of the last major modification to the automated system.

There appears to be an entire series of "issues" regarding the way that the new system is rejecting place creation edits out of hand and there are far too many examples being posted from diligent and highly experienced contributors (many of whom are at Level 8 and above) that are being  rudely and  systematically dismissed.

Worse yet, people keep marking the same article for newbies about Edit Rejections as SOLUTIONS to ongoing threads which is only adding insult to injury.

At the very least some form of error-messaging needs to be added to the system so that contributors are not wasting their time and efforts on a cackhanded system that seems to have been designed to be as unfriendly and as abstruse as possible.

The rejected edits are not even being confirmed via the notifications so that this sad state of affairs can be easily swept under the rug time and time and time again.

I have read far too many comments by long-standing contributors who have decided to give up and walk away from this community because none of the "officials" seem interested in pushing forward basic improvements to the system and instead spend most of their time blaming the contributors in any way that they can.

😞

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■
Level 2

@PaulPavlinovich wrote:

Hi @bhasibahuleyan just an fyi that Gus is no longer a Googler.

Regards Paul

@PaulPavlinovichDo you perhaps know from what date he is no more Googler?

Level 7

@ombb

Oddly enough, the date of his last visit is not on his original page although his date of registeration is clearly visible.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/7

Was he one of the coders of the automated system by any chance ?

Connect Moderator

Hi @ombb I'm not sure why it is important but Gus finished up with Google only a couple of months ago. We're likely to see him again here on Connect as he is a passionate Local Guide in his native Brazil.

Regards Paul

Connect Moderator

@aka_Rὁn while I accept you are experiencing some "not applied" issues, I can assure you that this does happen to absolutely everyone from time to time. I remind you of the Core Values of Connect. If you think that you've got genuine edits that are not accepted then you can report them as data problems via the App.

In my experience the best way to avoid not applied is to be at (or have been at) the place you want to edit. Add the complete information all in one edit and include a photo or two where the App allows it.

While some people suggest it, I recommend against trying to make the same edit more than once as it will likely lower your trust score which makes the issue worse.

Regards Paul

Level 7

@PaulPavlinovich

Thank you for your direct response but the advice you have provided me with has intensified this issue rather than made the status quo easier to accept.

First off, when I point out the failures of the existing automated system it is only in part based on my own experience of attempting to add missing places to the Google Map of my local community.

I am far more concerned by the vast number of problems experienced in the same way by diligent, long-standing and high-level contributors and the way that the issues that they raise in this forum are continually downplayed and dismissed.

We are being told to accept a situation in which the logic problems of the existing automated system are not only wasting our time and effort on a regular basis but that our continued use of the system can seriously affect our (as yet) undisclosed trust ratings ?

This is certainly a good way to destroy public confidence in Google Maps and to alienate some of the most responsible of contributors.

That is why when I have seen comments posted by those who decided to walk away from it all I have tried to urge them to remain and to try to raise the profile of these problems to a level of decision makers for the good of us all - including Google Maps itself.

If this cannot be taken seriously then a lot of us are basically wasting our time and resources.

Connect Moderator

Not applied is actually fairly unusual generally speaking @aka_Rὁn but as I say it does happen to everyone. Move on add something else. Don't worry about it.

I've escalated your issue.

Regards Paul