AubreyB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Alfio's Buon Cibo NOT APPLIED

Hey Maps Team - 

An addition for a restaurant was rejected three times. I tried adding every piece of information I had each time, hours, website, phone number, I even gave a personal photo. It is one of the more popular restaurants near my house and was surprised it was not already added. Anywho, not sure what else I could add to get it approved. I also reported it through the maps app on my phone. You can see the restaurant from a street view car camera.

Screenshot_20170705-154712.pngIMG_20170627_113540.jpg

Cincinnati, OH, United States
9 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 10
Solution

Re: Alfio's Buon Cibo NOT APPLIED

Hello @AubreyB,

Somehow I managed to add it without being insta-rejected. You know it's pending if you receive an email.Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 12.13.35.png

It's strange how this managed to get through even though technically we shouldn't be including the category of the restaurant in the name. I will keep you updated if it gets approved so people can start reviewing and adding information. Note that the only information that is there is just the category, name and address. In my opinion, if it doesn't get accepted with full information, I've wasted my time, and I'll add all the other relevant information in after it's been published. Finger's crossed it'll go through.

View solution in original post

Level 9

@AubreyB I think the link mention below will help you more on this topic .

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Why-is-my-edit-status-Pending-or-Not-Applie...

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Level 10

I just tried to add that restaurant myself, and got the same response. It was an instant rejection, which means it was rejected by a Google bot, not by a human checking the facts.

This happened to me a couple of times before. I don't know whether their algorithm uses some kind of heuristics to make the cut, or there's some blacklist of places previously rejected for some reason.

Any Google staffer here can give us more details than we see in the standard Help page?

Level 10

I too would definitely love to know, or at least contest the automated rejection.

Some people can request bogus edits and yet they'll be manually rejected, whereas kind-hearted, genuine Local Guides will suggest and add legitimate edits and places and be insta-rejected. Of course there is no reason why the bot does this but at least have it contested.

The restaurant, if a Google search is conducted will show it's official website, many food-review websites, even the streetview shows the restaurant as well! Shouldn't the bot even consider doing a Google search in itself? What I know is that if the place already exists and you try to add it, you'll get a "successful" edit and it applies itself to the existing posting (which can, in some cases result in nearby places, although separate branches, incorrectly merge) with little or no change if applicable.

Presuming you've already done these checks, I can't see why it can't be manually approved by someone and just get instantly NOT APPLIED. You'd be surprised as to what gets through and what doesn't.

Level 10
Solution

Hello @AubreyB,

Somehow I managed to add it without being insta-rejected. You know it's pending if you receive an email.Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 12.13.35.png

It's strange how this managed to get through even though technically we shouldn't be including the category of the restaurant in the name. I will keep you updated if it gets approved so people can start reviewing and adding information. Note that the only information that is there is just the category, name and address. In my opinion, if it doesn't get accepted with full information, I've wasted my time, and I'll add all the other relevant information in after it's been published. Finger's crossed it'll go through.

Level 8

Wow - thanks @Briggs!!! Can't wait to add my food photos and reviews. 

@Briggs wrote:

Hello @AubreyB,

Level 10

Hmm. It still looks like I haven't had this verified yet. I fervently check my edits every now and then (amidst a wave of accepted edits, and also clusters of not applies) and still haven't come across Alfio's Buon Cibo Argentinian-Italian Cuisine.

Level 10

Hello @AubreyB,

I did a check of my edits and unfortunately found out that Alfio's Buon Cibo/Alfio's Italian-Argentine Cuisine was not applied. For a place that you actually have pictures, correct information, has a social media presence and website, it's unfortunate that Google or the manual reviewer did not decide to have this place added in Maps. I don't know what else they need to verify the existence of such a place, but this is not the most desired outcome.

Apologies for such. Maybe someday someone higher up can add it in.

Level 10

@AubreyB,

I went back to trying to add this into Google Maps, and at long last Alfio's exists!

You can view the listing here. And if you would like to add any further information (as only the bare minimum exists), feel free to do so.

Alfio's Buon Cibo on Apple Maps has been around for a while, but Google found it incredibly hard and objectionable to add it.Alfio's Buon Cibo on Apple Maps has been around for a while, but Google found it incredibly hard and objectionable to add it.

I really would like to keep Google as fresh and updated as possible with all these new restaurants and stores opening up around Sydney, but unfortunately it's just too hard.

Level 8

@Briggs You are the Maps Whisperer. Thank you!! download.jpg