whereverimayroam's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

Adding places without address

I am trying to add a campsite as a place in maps. The campsite is accessible by canoe only thus it has no formal address. Can I add such a place. I am trying to add this place because I have shot a 360 street view image of this site and want to location tag it but nothing existing is appropriate. 

Ontario, Canada
14 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Adding places without address

Hi @whereverimayroam,

Photospheres that are added in My Maps appear just a flat image.

I believe you might be unaware of another solution.  Unlike regular photos, if you use the Street View app you can place photo spheres at an location on the map; they don't have to be attached to a POI.  As an example, click to bring up Maps at this location and then move the pegman onto the map.  This is a photosphere I took and then added based on it's GPS coordinates only.  You can add all your photospheres of these campsites to the main map without having to map the campsites themselves.

If you wanted to create your own My Map, in the description of each feature you could include URL links to your photospheres on the map.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 7

Adding a missing place

I am unable to add address while adding a missing place. I tried each and every type of address format i can give for the place. I have tried it on different different locations for about 70-80 times and every time Google ask me to give correct details....Any help???

Level 9

Re: Adding a missing place

@Arshadprism Are you trying to add a business location that is not on the map or are you trying to add a physical location.

Level 10

Dear @whereverimayroam

As this is your first post so Warm Welcome to Official Connect Local Guides Community and regarding 360 pics pplease add this place first after approval of that place you can add 360 in that

Before to start here are some useful information’s

First you can introduce yourself in current June 2018 thread (Each month a new one is started)

If you've a question, before to contribute on Connect maybe a Local Guide already asked and received answers.

• Then think to use Search Field to check (in the top right hand corner).
    • You can even use keywords according to your request (As you will type Connect will show you several suggestions linked to words you enter).

Of course as Local Guide you have **####** access to all forums to share and contribute.

• Always choose the good forum to post in order to get best feedback.
    • Give a clear and complete title to your post if you want Local Guides to read it and reply!
    • To be in touch with a Local Guide simply mention him/her using@+Username in your post in order to warn it -Connect will send her/him a notification- (Typing @ in your post will allow you to see all Local Guides who contributed to your post).
    • Never share personal information’s on Connect (think to use private message if needed).

As Local Guide you can also create a Google+ page to start a Local Guides Community in locality you stay in.

Practice does make perfect and remember active involvement promotes learning: we learn by doing.

Regards 

Ambrish Varshney

| Volunteers don’t get paid, not because they’re worthless, but because they’re priceless

Connect Moderator

Hello @whereverimayroam,

Please provide details of the place so that we can better answer your question.  Details would include the name, address (as best as you can), phone number, URL, GPS location, etc.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 3

For context. I am trying to add 360 photo spheres for campsites in a backcountry park. The park has 300ish sites and is based in an area only accessible by canoe (so no street addresses). 

This is a map someone else has created of the park sites...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=45.1945581586869%2C-80.03419898413085&spn=0.051103%2C0.07201...

I am trying to figure out the best way to capture 360 spheres of each of the campsites to upload to google maps (public, not on my maps that I share). I have already created 3 photo spheres of site 401 and I have added those under my account. This is one of those spheres. 

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.1181708,-80.0143953,3a,75y,305.33h,85.03t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipM...

I am looking for some best practices around how I can index these campsites so that anyone can search the site number and the park and find these spheres.

Connect Moderator

Hi @whereverimayroam,

Places that do not have proper names are not permitted on the map.  In general, also, the campsite category is meant to be used as a secondary category and not as the primary one.

Creating a My Map such as this person has done was the correct way to map these sites; they should not be included on the main map.

Level 3

Can photo spheres be attached to a My Map?

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hi @whereverimayroam,

Photospheres that are added in My Maps appear just a flat image.

I believe you might be unaware of another solution.  Unlike regular photos, if you use the Street View app you can place photo spheres at an location on the map; they don't have to be attached to a POI.  As an example, click to bring up Maps at this location and then move the pegman onto the map.  This is a photosphere I took and then added based on it's GPS coordinates only.  You can add all your photospheres of these campsites to the main map without having to map the campsites themselves.

If you wanted to create your own My Map, in the description of each feature you could include URL links to your photospheres on the map.

Level 3

Yes, Using the Street View app I have already added my spheres to the location of the site on google maps but I was trying to come up with ways to label them (ie. "Site 401") or make them searchable. Perhaps the My Maps with links in the descriptions might be the best way to achieve an index but I feel that it wouldn't be very easy to find by people using googles main search functionality.

I appreciate your help. Thank you very much!