KasthurieG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Adding category

1.  I have been trying to up load photos of 'places of interest' or 'tourism destinations' for visitors to our country and i noticed that there are no such categories. 

Can this be added on please.

2.  I am really having a problem with adding the address: Eastern Cape, South Africa. 

Eastern Cape, South Africa
29 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 7
Solution

Re: Adding category

These categories exist already:

historical landmark

scenic spot

tourist attraction

View solution in original post

Level 10

@KasthurieG We are not allowed to add categories to the Google Maps. Please send a feedback to Google Maps team using the "Send Feedback" feature of Google Maps. You can learn about this by visiting this Google Maps Help article.

Level 8

Thank you Anuradha.

Took your advice so will see what feedback i get.

Kind regards

Kasthurie 

Level 10

Hi @KasthurieG, I can see the category is available in South Africa as well as allover the world. You should select "Tourist attraction" for such spots.

South Africa Tourist Attraction Selection.JPG

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides
Level 8

Hi ImranAm, 

Thank you for replying.  I have never seen the screen you attached above.  So i must obviously going about it in correctly.

Also how do i now go and amend the catogary's of those uploads that i have already done? 

Thanks 

KasthurieG

@IranAm wrote:

Hi @KasthurieG, I can see the category is available in South Africa as well as allover the world. You should select "Tourist attraction" for such spots.

South Africa Tourist Attraction Selection.JPG

Level 7
Solution

These categories exist already:

historical landmark

scenic spot

tourist attraction

Level 8

Hi Kasthurie,

to edit the category of existing locations, select the location > in the description on left hand side, select Edit and then update the category:

newlandstadium.JPG

nicgibson.com
Connect Moderator

Hello,

So that you are not later disappointed to find something you added has been removed, please be aware that they type of categories you are speaking of are rarely used.  A place must be more than just interesting to be mapped, it must have a proper name and be something others would be seeking.  Normally a tourist attraction, landmark, etc. would have a better category and that should be used instead; for example Buckingham Palace is a Castle and the Lovre is a Museum.

If you're unsure if something is mappable, please feel free to post it here first for mapping experts to advise.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 9

hi, 

how do you think I should categorize "Public elevators" ? 
see my post below 

HOW TO ADD? : Public lifts and elevators for people to get around especially the elderly

The Hong Kong Govt is adding lift services for elderly and anyone to use instead of stairs. 
This is also accessible for handicapped and wheelchairs. 
There is NO category to add a PUBLIC LIFT 

There is a category for PUBLIC TOILET. 

THESE lifts (elevators) are being installed in many places in Tsing Yi because of the elevations between places and the population is aging. 

I have added a few places under "missing places" but could only use the category "Lift Services" which is a business not a public lift for anyone to use provided by the Government. 

What category to use ? 
I have not found it on Google yet

ps: i have photos of the lifts, but can't add them to maps. 

Lifts are only being installed over the last 2 years. i.e. they are very NEW

Level 10

Hi @Cinnamon, Public Elevators are part of a building or business and I don't think it would be suitable to be added separately. I think questions about accessibility for places can help also in this case and Google can also extend it for elderly. But they're not separate points of interests and it is like Google lets us to add stairs of one place! Anyway currently we've no suitable category for lifts and it means we can not add them to the map.

Maybe I didn't get the point correctly and it would be good if you prepare some photos of "Public Lifts" here or even in separate thread (Which is better and helps to prevent from unrelated discussion in this one).

Thanks

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides