KasthurieG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Adding category - standalone mobility access elevators,

Hi @Flash,

Yes, strictly speaking,  Meet up to help others get around  is about adding Accessiblity information to Places in Maps.

But why not take one step further to add missing places in Maps that really "help others get around".  As after those missing places are added, we have a chanse to provide accessiblity details about them, in Maps.  Here, for Place, I mean features that Maps allow LocalGuides adding to Maps.

Of course, there is a big question if specific places are Mappable or not.  (@Cinnamon it means if we should add a particular place or not.)

I suggest to post the question to that thread, is hopping it can have a bigger impact -

1.  If might inform Google such that those kind of details are important.  So there might be future campains for that.

2.  Google might even adjust details in Maps, so that such features will be allowed.

In Hong Kong, it is sad that the Pedestrian Crossings are normally not Wheelchair accessible.  Maps's foot navigation  is not reflecting this correctly in HK.  But that is another topic.  

Accessibility is a huge issue.  Being able to Map places correctly, helps lots of people.

Connect Moderator

But why not take one step further to add missing places in Maps that really "help others get around". 

Because the features are not missing.  I'll repeat yet again that the accessibility of a route is already mapped.  That is why the campaign is focussing on places.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

I heard you.

May I ask for this particular missing "route":

https://goo.gl/maps/14T13ziVPyn

Screenshot.png

Is it advisible to add via "Send Feedback -> Missing Road".

Name: Pedestrian Lift

Note:  Linking lower level sidewalk of "Street A" to upper level sidewalk to "Street B"?

(Subsitute correct names for Street A & B).

What is the best way adding similar routes when that route is missing?

Connect Moderator

Yes, you would mark it as a missing road.

But no, you would not name it, remember that you are never to use a description in place of a name.  Leave the name blank, or if it is one of the situations where it will not accept a blank then enter "none".

The description just needs to be "Elevator creates a pedestrian link from X to Y".

As a note, I see that if right now you try to get routing it takes you on a bit longer pedestrian only route that has stairs.  This is an example of how routes already have accessibility.  The stairs are visually noted in the path as a break in the path.  If you open of the details of the route it will tell you that you must use stairs.  And if there will bicycle routing in this area then it would refuse to route you this way because of the stairs.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 8

Thank you very much, Flash!

Level 8

Just follow up route:  https://goo.gl/maps/C3D9YS7CU982

For the ruoute, Maps consider taking Stairway is needed.  But actually, there are Elevators at the both ends of the Foot Bridge.

I submitted an in-App feedback telling Google about this.

Level 9

Re: Adding category

There is something seriously wrong with categories. I have a lake without a category, when I go to add category the only option I have is "Swimming Lake", since it's part of a provincial park with fishing, kayaking and of course swimming I don't want to label it as swimming only. Why wont it simply let me choose lake? 

Level 5

I added a new map location 'Bolong fishing wharf', but there is no category for 'recreation'. There does not appear to be a related existing category.  What would be the best similar category to use?

Connect Moderator

@AlexPssn, sorry for the late reply.  Water features have a special team devoted to them at Google, they have not been open for public editing for multiple years.  This occured when we had the advanced editor Map Maker available, indicating that they must have been getting more bad edits than good if they completely shut down such editing.  As features on the map mature there is a diminishing return on allowing editing, another example would be that political features (cities, counties, etc.) were also shut down.

Connect Moderator

Hi @aus_jgregg,

Categories are not keywords, but rather should fill in the statement "The feature is a...".  In this case "Fishing Pier" would seem to be best option.

In addition to an appropriate category, another requirement for being on the map is that it have a proper name.  Descriptions are not permitted.  When I search "Bolong fishing wharf" on Google I can't find a single result, which is unusual but not impossible.  If this is truly what the locals call it then the name is fine, which means if in normal conversation people would normally use "I went down to the Bolong Fishing Wharf" or "I took a picture of the Bolong Fishing Wharf".  But if it's just a fishing wharf that's in Bolong and has no name, using a descriptor in place of a name is not appropriate.