FikirA's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Adding category

I was editing wrong categories in my city and I found most roundabouts labeled but with a wrong category which is confusing when siding through maps. And also to have mixed use Building catagory for buildings that have various services apart from just being shopping or corporate offices.

To fix such issues it possible to add catagories like

1. Roundabout

2. Square

3. Mixed use Building 

12 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Adding category

Hello,

Advanced editing of the map is done via a tool called Map Maker.  The editing available in Maps is limited and only certain features can be edited.

Google is closing Map Maker in the very near future and adding more advanced editing features to Maps instead.

With that background, regarding your questions:

1. Roundabout

Roundabouts are roads, and they are already indicated by adding the Roundabout attribute to the road itself.

2. Square

Squares are a type of place added in Map Maker.  The categories in Maps are only one of the multiple subsets available; it is commonly referred to as the establishment subset as it is mostly comprised of businesses, and only those in the establishment subset can have reviews, pictures, etc. added to them.

In other words, square does not need to be added, it already exists, it is just not editable within Maps.

3. Mixed use Building 

Buildings and the features within them are mapped separately.  Buildings are not editable within Map Maker.  If a building contains more than one business that does not need any special designation, as there is nothing that says a building is single use.  Simply add a POI for each mappable establishment that uses the building.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 8

Hi @FikirA,

More often than not, adding a Category is not the required solution while adding / editing a place in Maps.

Please post the URL of the places you want to discuss here, so that our Mapping Experts can advice which is the best Category for each.

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello,

Advanced editing of the map is done via a tool called Map Maker.  The editing available in Maps is limited and only certain features can be edited.

Google is closing Map Maker in the very near future and adding more advanced editing features to Maps instead.

With that background, regarding your questions:

1. Roundabout

Roundabouts are roads, and they are already indicated by adding the Roundabout attribute to the road itself.

2. Square

Squares are a type of place added in Map Maker.  The categories in Maps are only one of the multiple subsets available; it is commonly referred to as the establishment subset as it is mostly comprised of businesses, and only those in the establishment subset can have reviews, pictures, etc. added to them.

In other words, square does not need to be added, it already exists, it is just not editable within Maps.

3. Mixed use Building 

Buildings and the features within them are mapped separately.  Buildings are not editable within Map Maker.  If a building contains more than one business that does not need any special designation, as there is nothing that says a building is single use.  Simply add a POI for each mappable establishment that uses the building.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 8

@YK1001

Thanks and here is the link.

The place I shared here is an overpass and roundabout the name is right but the catagory labeled is as fire station which is not the case and couldn't find the right catagory to change it. 

Meganagna

http://maps.google.com/?cid=7139773804875936488&hl=en&gl=us

Level 8

@Flash

Thanks for brief notes. 

I got your points but still I found it difficult when editing existing places with previously labeled wrong categories but still with the right description and photos inside that are useful information for the labeled places. 

For example the link I shared here also is a roundabout with a correct name but wrongly categorised and when trying to fix and edit it there should be a better term to label it other than the current category that is a fire station which is not the case. 

Meganagna

Level 9
Level 9

@FikirA wrote:

For example the link I shared here also is a roundabout with a correct name but wrongly categorised and when trying to fix and edit it there should be a better term to label it other than the current category that is a fire station which is not the case. 

Meganagna

I don't think the problem here is the wrong category. This POI probably shouldn't be on the map at all, @Flash can you confirm?

Level 10

@FikirA wrote:

@YK1001

Thanks and here is the link.

The place I shared here is an overpass and roundabout the name is right but the catagory labeled is as fire station which is not the case and couldn't find the right catagory to change it. 

Meganagna

Hi FikirA,

The name of the roundabout POI isn't correct -- it has a typo. The correct spelling is Megenagna.

Connect Moderator

I got your points but still I found it difficult when editing existing places with previously labeled wrong categories but still with the right description and photos inside that are useful information for the labeled places. 

Meganagna

My apologies for the late reply.

If someone has added something that is not in the Establishment subset of categories, and they have used an incorrect category to manage to do so, then the feature needs to be deleted.

A roundabout is a road, it should not be mapped as a point feature.  Google does not accept reviews of roads nor non-360 photos of roads.  Your quandary seems to be that you don't want to see the reviews and photos removed from the map; but they were improper to be added in the first place.  This feature needs to be deleted as "Does Not Exist".

Level 10

@PhilipF wrote:
I don't think the problem here is the wrong category. This POI probably shouldn't be on the map at all

Hi PhilipF,

Some roundabouts benefit from the "Landmark" category when the name of the roundabout is in common usage by people describing place locations, and/or navigation. Looking at just two Google SERPs for Megenagna Roundabout, I found (excerpts) "Up the hill from the Megenagna Roundabout" and "Apart from extending the existing lines, two new lines are under construction by the Ethiopian government.  ... The second line will start at Megenagna Roundabout and passes via Bole Airport ...". (I didn't include links to the SERPs)

The Google definition of Landmark is "An object or other notable feature in a landscape or inhabited area that allows someone to establish their location."

Connect Moderator

Hi @MapWrangler,

The landmark category is not a catch all to use to add features that are not otherwise mappable as point POIs.

Again, roundabouts are roads, and should not be mapped as anything else.

I have deleted this feature.  If someone with local knowledge wants the may use "Send Feedback -> Other Feedback" to request that the name be applied to the roundabout road segments.