kennedyruttokim's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Adding a missing place

Hello Local Guides, I have points of interest which I picked using handheld GPS and these points are Geographic Names of places and Shopping Centers. The area I picked the points is remote and little mapping has been done. I added about 15 points into Google Maps and all of the have the 'NOT APPLIED' status 1.5 months down the line. This points are very important for NGOs wanting to access these areas to supply food and offer medical support. I have reached a dead end on this, initially I used to use Google Map Maker since now it has been Discontinued, I can't. Anyone to offer help and assistance?

Thank you.

NB// I can avail all the coordinates plus the GPS tracks and also links showing where the track fall in Google Earth for Proof, showing my movement on the ground as I mapped the points.

Kenya
13 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Adding a missing place

Hi @kennedyruttokim

The world is a big and dynamic place — as it evolves, our goal is to keep the information on Google Maps as fresh and accurate as possible.

In order to do that, Local Guides submit edits to ensure their communities are accurately represented. Sometimes, an edit you have submitted may appear as Pending or Not Applied.

Many of you have asked why your edit is shown that way, so we wanted to share more information with you how edits are reviewed and why they may appear as such.

Every edit submitted to Google Maps is either reviewed by an automated systems, local operators, or both, to ensure changes follow our guidelines.

If we are not sure the edit is accurate, it may be listed as Denied. If your edit status is listed as Pending, it means we need to take a closer look at the information, which can take some time to verify through our staff and other users through "Check the Facts".

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

@kennedyruttokim We are Local Guides basically can do what we can by suggesting edits or addition into Google Maps. We try to put as much accurate information as possible. In the end, it's up to Google to approve or not based on Google's internal processes, policies and confidence levels. Here is a post from a past Google Moderator on this issue.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Why-is-my-edit-status-Pending-or-Not-Applie...

Just quoting from the post

Don’t take it personally.  If your edit is denied, this doesn’t mean you are a bad mapper (unless you are trying to spam the map!) — we may not be familiar with the region you are mapping and need more information to be confident the edit is accurate. Simply collect more information and suggest another edit."

So, as long as we know we have put in the all the correct information, and after some time if not approved, if possible, we can put in another addition/edit. Ultimately it's for Google to decide to add or not. 

Level 2

@StephenAbrahamthank you for your swift response, I appreciate, I guess I have to wait longer then.

So for areas which are remote and they have little information to verify the data, does it mean the data might not be added into the canvas?

Level 2

Thank you much @Sorbe I wish I could meet the Fact Checkers I submit all the data they validate themselves, since they have guidelines and rules, I have to wait and be patient.

Connect Moderator

@kennedyruttokim, the issue can also be that you are unaware of something in your edits that increase your chances of denial.

If you'd like some of the mapping experts to look over your submissions, please provide full details for each, including the name, address, phone number, URL, category, hours, GPS location and any other information you provided.  We would need the exact values you filled into each field.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 2

@FlashThank you for the insights, I will send all the details you mentioned they cross check.

Level 2

As requested by @Flash, The attached the link below contains two excel sheets, one for all the POI mapped and second sheet for the points so far added to Google Maps. I didn't add information on Contact numbers or webpages, Webpages because these areas weren't business names or something like that, most of them  are centers, towns, villages and shopping centers but I have photos for some places.

Connect Moderator

Hello @kennedyruttokim,

You indicate on your spreadsheet that you used the category of Golf Course for every one of these features, is that correct?

You also indicate that you used capital letters only in the names, is that correct?

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 2

1.@Flash what are you mentioned about is the data collected, I used Capital letters for the names, the sheet named 'COLLECTED WAYPOINTS' just shows the points collected using Handheld GPS it has all the fields as you can see. The second sheet 'POINTS ADDED TO GOOGLE MAPS' are the selected points I mapped in Google Maps.

So the Golf Course was the symbol I used in the Handheld GPS when collection data in the field and has no any relationship to the points mapped, and I didn't use capital letter but I capitalized the first letter in each name.

2.I have minimized the data I send in the first link and you can view in this link 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iKYxhW0QdsXYS5JUNqulzCdvczlc-Vmr/view?usp=sharing .

3.The below image samples shows how I added the points using coordinates into Google Maps.

Google Maps Edits-Snapshot.JPGAdding Missing Place Example.JPG