ColinUKtyke's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Adding Missing Roads - have people had any updating success ?

I live in Telford , Shropshire, UK. I have now reported 19 new roads with details about the directions, UK postcode and explanation about the shape of the road. So far I have had no replies apart from the standard immediate email reply. I have sent each request seperately and tried to be as detailed as possible about the location and shape of the new street.

1.  I was wondering how other local guides were progressing and if they have had requests added?

2. I did post a thought about the ability to add photo(s) as supporting evidence as a thought on the original post but seem to have had no response.

3. It would be useful to know how the updating process is going to progress and if it is relying on up to date satellite photos to verify the actual layout of the new roads ?

4. Are particular teams working on updating for specific geographical regions ?

Muxton, Telford, United Kingdom
5 comments
Level 7

Re: Adding Missing Roads - have people had any updating success ?

I think you stand a much greater chance of success if the road that you request is visible in either the Google Maps Satellite View or in Google Earth or in Google Street View.  Ive not tried to request roads that are not visible in one or more of these ways.

Level 10

Hi ColinUKtyke,

1.  I was wondering how other local guides were progressing and if they have had requests added?

I haven't had any road edits published via the new system (after the close of Map Maker) since April 1, 2017.

2. I did post a thought about the ability to add photo(s) as supporting evidence as a thought on the original post but seem to have had no response.

I think photos are a good way to add to the documentation. It doesn't solve all of the issues of adding a new road 😉 but it can be helpful.

Level 10

sputnikjim,

This response is not directed to you personally, rather it is addressed to the "topic' of the thread 😉 

@sputnikjim wrote:

Ive not tried to request roads that are not visible in one or more of these ways.

All the more reason for there to be an effective way to add these roads that are not covered (visible) by any other feature. These are the new homeowners and businesses that want their friends and customers to be able to find them 😉

Level 8

Rien chez moi. Très très long pour voir éventuellement une modification 

Swiss | Switzerland | Suisse francophone Level 8 : visitez moi Ne passez pas à coté d'un J'AIME et marquer les réponses comme solution. Android|Jean-Luc|Suisse romande|Switzerland french speaking area|Google Maps Local Guide Level 8 https://goo.gl/maps/HuzFUEBbgtt
Level 7

MapWrangler wrote: 

@sputnikjim wrote:

Ive not tried to request roads that are not visible in one or more of these ways.

All the more reason for there to be an effective way to add these roads that are not covered (visible) by any other feature. These are the new homeowners and businesses that want their friends and customers to be able to find them 😉

The method that makes most sense to me is for the govermental authorities, who probably have all the roads and lot boundaries & addresses digitized, would just upload the datasets that Google needs.  

What I would like from Google is a directory of POCs for those agencies with GIS data that have agreed to share it with Google Maps.  If no cooperating agency relationship exists for a particular region, then let us know so we can try to get a relationship started.