PaulKang's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Adding/Correcting Fire Station Listings in Memphis

Yesterday, a friend and I discovered the RIDICULOUS fact that almost HALF of the fire department stations within Memphis city limits were NOT on Google Maps. The bulk of the existing ones were in duplicate, miscategorized as police departments, or had obscure names (what the heck is Memphis FIRE E52, EU34?!?) that would help very little if someone was desperately entering fire station into a search on their phone. The complete list of stations is available here.

Out of the missing fire stations, we managed to add stations 7, 8, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 23, 24, 26, 28, 38, 39, 42, 43, 44, 46, 49, 54, 58 and 59 and received successful confirmation emails from Google.

Other than suggesting deletions of the duplicates, I suggested renames of the existing fire stations with confusing names by using the following format Memphis Fire Station #X. Some of those suggestions went through and others are PENDING. 

If you're an active participant on Check the Facts and you see suggestions to rename or recategorize a fire station, please help by agreeing with the name/category change.

MFD.jpg

Please remember that people need to know where their local fire stations are located! It's just a garage for fire trucks. They have defibrillators, can provide ambulatory care and exist as a safe place for parents to drop off their unwanted babies.

Let me opine here for a second and say that is absolutely irresponsible for the Memphis Fire Department (Memphis Division of Fire Services) to forgo adding their fire stations to Google Maps, let alone any other maps that people may be using. 

Thank you so much!

Paul Kang
Greater Nashville, Tennessee
Memphis, TN, United States
4 comments
Level 5

Re: Adding/Correcting Fire Station Listings in Memphis

I will keep an eye out for them in Check the Facts.

Edit: I'm going through them now looking at name suggestions. I've just found 2 of them and verified.

Level 10

Just as an update, all of the missing Memphis fire stations were added to Google Maps! Duplicate/incorrect ones were removed as well.

Thank you everyone!

Paul

Paul Kang
Level 8

Hi there,

Just for clarity, it is important to note that we do not set duplicates up for removal in Google Maps. There is an option to report duplicates that option is what should be used.

If points are incorrect in placement but correct in the address field they can be moved, if places are correct in placement but incorrect in the address field they can also be corrected. Removal should be the last option as there are many data connections we cannot see.

Thanks!

Google Maps Platinum Product Expert, Top Contributor for Google Map Maker (Product Retired) and Regional Lead (Product Retired).
Level 10

You're correct Greg.

I misspoke. There were other odd FD listings that were somewhat related but were clearly not intended to be on the map as a fire station. Those 2-3 listings were removed to avoid confusion (suggested edits would not take for them).

Thanks!

Paul

Paul Kang