Semmy-de-Nada's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Adding An Individual Shop Inside A Shopping Mall

How do I add a single shop inside a shopping mall correctly?

The shopping mall itself is listed correctly in Google Maps and I need to use the very same address
to register individual shops. How do I do this correctly?

Quirky storyteller and traveling crime novel writer. GLBTQ+ come follow me and check www.semmy.eu
31 comments
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Adding An Individual Shop Inside A Shopping Mall

Hi @Semmy-de-Nada as previously mentioned, a map link would be really helpful in being able to help you. The answer you get may well depend on the mall in question and how it is mapped

Level 8

Sorry for my oversight:

here is the mall https://goo.gl/maps/2siHjBy78yB2

the store is an animal store - unfortunately there not that many shops inside the shopping mall

lots of stores that are left deserted

Quirky storyteller and traveling crime novel writer. GLBTQ+ come follow me and check www.semmy.eu
Level 9
Level 9

You should be able to add the missing animal store in the same way you would normally, drop a pin in the right location, add the address the store uses themselves. 

If the mall had been subject to indoor mapping you wouldn't be able to add the store directly, you could only report it via feedback

Connect Moderator

Stores can be added to malls with indoor mapping; it's the connection to the indoor map that cannot be made.  This just means that someone won't get directions internal to the mall itself.  It takes a Googler to make that connection; but they can do it with a store that's already been created.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

@GreggG wrote:

Stores can be added to malls with indoor mapping; it's the connection to the indoor map that cannot be made.  This just means that someone won't get directions internal to the mall itself.  It takes a Googler to make that connection; but they can do it with a store that's already been created.

Hi @Flash this is true, but indoor map is available only to mall owners/managers.

I can confirm that it's possible to add a POI inside a mall, i did it several times. The best thing to do is to use the marker, and confirm that the address of the POI is the same of the mall.

Have a nice weekend! 🙂

Connect Moderator

No, Lucio, the mall owners have no control either.  They must submit it to Google, and only Google staff can make the change.

What the mall owners have is the ability to submit a map to the indoor mapping team.  In other words, they can initiate the mapping by submitting their directory.

Technically you can do so also, it does not have to be a mall owner that does so; but you cannot use any materials to which you do not own the copyright.  Your chances of being able to hand draw an accurate map are extremely low without such materials; as I doubt you would be allowed the alternative of making onsite measurements.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 9
Level 9

@LucioV wrote:

I can confirm that it's possible to add a POI inside a mall, i did it several times.

Hey Lucio, that was never in doubt, I've added many POIs to malls too. My mistaken thought was specifically about adding stores to malls which already use indoor mapping, I wrongly thought that multi-floored malls meant this wasn't possible. I had some denials when I first came across indoor mapping and conflated different information, mixed some causation/correlation and never tried again.

Level 10

@GreggG wrote:

No, Lucio, the mall owners have no control either.  They must submit it to Google, and only Google staff can make the change.

What the mall owners have is the ability to submit a map to the indoor mapping team.  In other words, they can initiate the mapping by submitting their directory.

Technically you can do so also, it does not have to be a mall owner that does so; but you cannot use any materials to which you do not own the copyright.  Your chances of being able to hand draw an accurate map are extremely low without such materials; as I doubt you would be allowed the alternative of making onsite measurements.

@Flash is what i meant, sorry, i was not so clear.

I submitted several indoor maps in the last years, sometimes using maps created from a photo from security plans, used as an overlay in Autocad 🙂

Anyway, the question is not about indoor mapping, that is somewhere in the googleverse, but is adding a business inside a mall 😉

Level 10

@PhilipF wrote:

@LucioV wrote:

I can confirm that it's possible to add a POI inside a mall, i did it several times.

Hey Lucio, that was never in doubt, I've added many POIs to malls too. My mistaken thought was specifically about adding stores to malls which already use indoor mapping, I wrongly thought that multi-floored malls meant this wasn't possible. I had some denials when I first came across indoor mapping and conflated different information, mixed some causation/correlation and never tried again.

Hi @Pea maybe was something else that went wrong...

I'm pretty sure i've added some shops in indoor mapped (not by me) malls, as like this: https://goo.gl/maps/FEJXK1h8H5z (this one as example: https://goo.gl/maps/A83aPWsSfkw)

Just took care to place the marker in the right area and floor.