MejdoubO's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Added places names , English , arabic , Or both ?

hi everyone , i m wondering , when i Added places in my country (Morocco ( arabic countyr )) , should i name it , in arabic , english or both , ?

thanks

Afrique
4 comments
Level 10

Re: Added places names , English , arabic , Or both ?

Hi @MejdoubO

In a name field, there should only be one language, so please, do not mix languages. But you can add multiple languages. Let's say go to this place. Suggest an edit and click on the name field. You will see a field to enter the English name. 

For this, you need to use maps in English. You can always switch from the hamburger menu at the top left of simply adding (or changing) an attribute at the end of the URL in maps: ?hl=en (for English). The same way you can switch to other languages. ?hl=ar is for Arabic, ?hl=fr is for French and so on. 

Edit: I see there is a mess all over the place there. It will be a huge job to correct everything but it's worth the effort. 😉

Level 7

I suggest you English

Level 5

Hii @Csaba

Thank you very much for the advice,  that what i will fo now on. ✌✌👍

Level 9

Hi,

In my opinion the most important language is the local language so name the places with Arabic as most of the people in your country speaks Arabic and use Arabic.

from other side places that might be used by foreign people should have their foreign language. its an addition to have foreign name for places and it will help but in the first place local language is more important in my opinion.

one very common problem is the translation of the name of places for example if there is wedding hall named "قاعة الذهب" a lot of people name it "Gold Hall" which is wrong in my opinion the names should't be translated ذهب should't be translated to gold it should be translated to Dahab or Thahab not gold.

Your comments please on this Google Moderators

Regards,