MikeC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Add New Place from GPS Coordinates on Photo

Hi Fellow Local Guides,

I'm just getting started with this program and finding that there is a lot of missing data here my town and in this country in general.  I've started taking a photo of the businesses that I visit, but there's a bit of work that has to be done to add the business to Google Maps.  

Suggestion/Question:  Can the Maps app pull the EXIF data for the GPS coordinates and directional compass information then simply ask me to fill in the name of the place, categorize it, and be done. I feel a photo-first approach would speed up the process.  Bonus:The app could even wizard me through asking other things like hours, website, phone, etc.  

....or maybe I'm just not following the easiest workflow yet...

Any help is greatly appreciated...or let me know how to be part of the dev on this.

- Mike

Santa Ana, San José Province, Costa Rica
3 comments
Level 4

Re: Add New Place from GPS Coordinates on Photo

Hello Mike,

Unfortunately the Maps app does not currently support importing EXIF data with photos. For adding a new business the easiest way is to use the Maps app, go to "Add Missing Place" and it gives you places to input all this info, also you can put a pin drop right where the business is located if you don't have an exact street address. This can also be done from a web browser online, you can even add a photo you've taken with your phone if you have Google Photos automatically upload photos from your phone to your account. I hope this helps, friend. 

Level 2

I have tons of pictures and all with GPS data. It is shame that these guides cannot use these imbedded GPS while Google photos can. I started with Picasa and sometime contributed to Paniramino with my aerial photos. These great programs were killed and teplaced with something half cooked. Google photos can place all my pictures properly. I don't understand why to blast maps with pictures which in many cases are not even relevant.. This is disappointing

Level 7

Thank you @Jannadem for posting to this old thread.

It answers--negatively, Im sorry to say--a hope I had that, with geocoded photography, I could be more likely to be giving Team Google the proof they are after that my requests are valid.