RobFranceInOz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Ability to Bulk Upload places

Does anyone know how to bulk upload places? I have a great deal of data but importing one at a time is a pain. If I could upload as draft and just open the editor it would be good.

I have considered using the maps api in a spreadsheet to convert Lat Lon to address (which isnt very reliable) but the Lat Lon are accurate.

Australia
9 comments
Level 8

Re: Ability to Bulk Upload places

Unfortunately there's no way to bulk upload photos. The only course of action you have is to link those photos and share them in a single link

Level 8

Thanks @NevadaCool however the question was about Places. e.g. could I import a kml file of places with attributes.

I gather through the api that it should be possible to build a link that has a Lat/lon, Name, and category to submit and had it working on myown site some weeks ago (till i forgot how the code worked!) as I thought that would be a good way of having a page of hyperlinks to just click and submit.

Is clear that people have systems that can automatically upload data (unless they are using a human keyboard factory to do it) as theres lots of spam type search engine links being added to places near me.

Thanks

Rob

Level 9

RobFranceInOz

You can use the bulk upload method of Google My Business to upload all the places simultaneously.
Please, take a look at the Add 10 or more locationssection of the Google My Business help center.
https://support.google.com/business/topic/4596653

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Connect Moderator

Hello,

To advise you better can you please describe the data you are attempting to upload?

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Thanks @Flash and @deepakjhic

The data is on remote airfields. Some are classed as landing strips, some are landing areas (i.e. no specific runway assignment), some are water based landing areas, and some are Airports with lighting etc, but not proper certified aerodromes as defined unde ICAO regulations. useful to a variety of people.

It is all in CSV format.

I recently uploaded 200+ mountain huts / cattlemens huts manually into maps (which was a real pain in the behind) and Id like an easier way of doing the 400+ airstrips.

Connect Moderator

Thank you for the description.

Can you please explain the source of the data?

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 8

Thanks @Flash

The data is primarily derived from various open aerial photography sources and confirmed where possible by observation or cross reference.

Level 8

Interesting, I went to create 2 of them to check the data again as its been a long time, and i get "Not Applied"
Is this some limitation from the government?

Barrum Airstrip (YBUR)
East Arnhem NT 0822, Australia
NOT APPLIED · Place creation

Kentle Downs Station Airstrip
Tangorin QLD 4821, Australia
NOT APPLIED · Place creation
Connect Moderator

I'm sorry, but from your description those would not be acceptable sources.

The Maps editing tools are largely for entry of your personal knowledge.  As Google has ownership or permissions to use the imagery they provide, it too is acceptable sources, but you'd only be able to use them if you could completely obtain the information from them.  For example, for an place to be added to the map it must have a proper name, not a description, so you could only add a hut or airfield that you found in the aerials and/or Street View if it has a proper name and that name was obtained from the imagery.

Using third party sources is not acceptable as Google has no way of ensuring that the information is not copyrighted.  It should be noted that all published information is automatically copyrighted and it is a rare instance when all rights are surrendered; so rare that it is best for Google to always assume there has been no such surrender.

Google does not provide the general public mass update tools as there as the information the can accept from the general public normally would not come in such formats.