FintoCubano's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

ALL of my edits NOT APPLIED today - why?

Hello @BruceDM@GusMoreira 

I have an issue for your kind consideration: ALL OF MY EDITS today - see screenshot below - have been NOT APPLIED one by one.

They are edits to various places (cheesemakers, historic landmarks, churches, tourist attractions) I have visited just today (see my 360 pictures I have uploaded) and of my hometown and another not far away which I often pass by. The places are all in the area of Southern Italy - 150km around the radius of the location below.

How is that possible? Is there anything wrong with my account or edits? Or is it a problem with Google algorithm? This has never happened to me before...

@LucioV  is that happening to you too today or know of someone who had the same issue?

Many thanks

F

Not applied edits - 260718Not applied edits - 260718

Agnone, Province of Isernia, Italy
34 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: ALL of my edits NOT APPLIED today - why?

Hello @FintoCubano, by way of test I just made some edits just now (I'm in Belgium at the moment) and they were approved within seconds, so it looks that it is not an overall problem.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Former Google Contributor

Hi @FintoCubano - This is likely not an account issue but rather a situation where Google Maps is being very particular about the type of edit you are looking to make. The more high visibility or popular the place, the more restrictive the chances of an edit going through can be. I would suggest not trying to make too many edits at one time as well.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Connect Moderator

Update @FintoCubano: I now just tried to mark Porta Semiurna from your screenshot as still open and this was also approved within seconds.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

@JanVanHaver, do you have personal knowledge that the place is open?  Please remember to only make edits that which you can confirm yourself; it should not come second hand through another person.

Likely someone pressed the wrong choice when trying to delete the place; that is not an Archaeological Site and should have been deleted as Does Not Exist.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Connect Moderator

Sorry @Flash, you're right - I was a bit too eager. Will keep it in mind.

Level 10

Many thanks @BruceDM,

I'll try not to make many edits at once as you suggest, however my ''editing hyperactivity'' has been OK in the past weeks and years I've been using Maps (I have almost 150k points), it's been just today I've noticed this sequence of NOT APPLIED despite being visiting the area(s). I'll pause editing for a few days and see if it goes back to normal.

Regarding the visitbility/popularity of the places, they are not massively popular (average 5-10-20 reviews per place - unlike say those in Rome, Italy).

As @JanVanHaver's experience suggests, the issue is now perhaps to be with my own account? Many thanks Jan for your input.

@Flash the site does exist - see my 360 picture taken today (the concrete plate inscription at the entrance of the gate - ''porta'' - bears its name) - I tried to add the site, so Maps prompted me to a likely duplicate, I chose it but wished to change its marker and category (''historical landmark'' is the only one available that matches it) which were both wrong but, being previously marked as ''closed'', I had to report it ''open'' first before making the marker and category edits. But my reporting it ''open'' it was not applied.

Cheers

F

Connect Moderator

@FintoCubano, just because a place exists does not mean it can be mapped.  There is no category for "Gate" because we do not map gates.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

@Flash as you can see from the photo, it's an historical landmark so it CAN be mapped. Being called ''porta'' does not mean it's stricly a ''gate'', it's simply a toponym for a current landmark part of the town heritage like the Coliseum for instance.

Following your ''we don't map gates'' reasoning because there is no category we should therefore not map ''beaches'', ''monuments'', ''cocktail bars'' etc categories which are currently missing - to name but a few. Don't think it's what the Maps/Map Makers guidelines say/said or the advice given by @YK1001 ?

Level 8

Hi @FintoCubano,

The Mapping Guides lines are complex.  There are lots of exceptional cases.  And sometimes interpretations of guildelines do change.  So it is really great that Mapping Experts are continuing to offer their guidance to us LGs here in Connect after the Map Maker forum is closed.

Whenever I am in doubt, I will try to spell out my question in detail, as specific as possible, and seek experts' advice here.

And @Flash is the expert among the experts.  He is the mentor in the Map Maker forum.  And he keeps mentoring us here in Connect for Mapping issues.

I will always follow the experts' advice here whenever I am in doubt.  I will advice you to digest all the information in front of you thoroughly, and make the correct decision.