MrLens's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

ADD A NOTE

Hi Team!

I recently turned my attention to Adding and Editing road names on the map. I have experienced good success as most of my edits have been published while a few still remain pending. However, I just need a little clarification;

What kind of information is required in the "ADD A NOTE" when Editing Roads

Capture111.JPG

@ErmesT @Flash @JeslynL

Thank you!

2 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: ADD A NOTE

Hello @MrLens,

I'm glad to hear your having both fun and success with mapping.

The "Add a note" field is an optional field, so there is nothing that is required.

What shouldn't go into it is links to third party sources to "prove" your edit.  Mapping is supposed to be from personal experience, so you should only provide what you know.  Even if you drive the road daily, including a link to a third party resource can case suspicion on your edit.

If you are adding a missing road that's visible in the aerials and the name is in signage visible in Street View, there really would be no need for a comment.

Where the field might come in handy is to explain something that is not obvious.  Examples include:

• "Aerials do not show the recently installed dividing barrier down the middle of the road" if you are trying to indicate that a new parallel, one way segment needs to be drawn.
  • "Road just opened this weekend, I drove it today, a link to my GPS trace can be found at https://goo.gl/XXXXXXX".
  • To help with addressing you could say "Address range of this road would be 1500 to 2799, with odds on the north side of the road" so this can be added to the road to make addressing more accurate.  In such cases use the theoritical minimum and maximum number.
  • "No vehicles are permitted, just pedestrians and bicycles."
  • "This freeway exit is for HOV vehicles only."
  • After naming the road "Johnston Avenue" you might make a note saying "This is a separated continuation of the Johnston  Avenue 1 mile to the west.", which then allows them to mark both as one road and thus have them properly considered when you search.  This works best if you can also provide the address ranges of all sections.
  • "Road comes right up to Main Street, but does not actually intersect with it; it should dead end as there is a concrete barrier."
  • The same as above but with "The barrier does allow pedestrian and bicycle traffic to pass through."
  • "Road is in poor condition, it should not be used for through traffic, the parallel routes are much better."
  • "The intersection that forms with Main Street does not allow left turns from southbound to westbound."

But again it's optional, and thus it's not necessary to fill in something that the reviewers are going to figure out themselves.  Use it instead to convey the non-obvious info that is important to know to have the road system work correctly.  If you're ever unsure how to convey something then please do post here, as the long time mappers that drew roads in Map Maker will be able to advise using their knowledge of the road attributes that are available and how they affect navigation.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello @MrLens,

I'm glad to hear your having both fun and success with mapping.

The "Add a note" field is an optional field, so there is nothing that is required.

What shouldn't go into it is links to third party sources to "prove" your edit.  Mapping is supposed to be from personal experience, so you should only provide what you know.  Even if you drive the road daily, including a link to a third party resource can case suspicion on your edit.

If you are adding a missing road that's visible in the aerials and the name is in signage visible in Street View, there really would be no need for a comment.

Where the field might come in handy is to explain something that is not obvious.  Examples include:

• "Aerials do not show the recently installed dividing barrier down the middle of the road" if you are trying to indicate that a new parallel, one way segment needs to be drawn.
  • "Road just opened this weekend, I drove it today, a link to my GPS trace can be found at https://goo.gl/XXXXXXX".
  • To help with addressing you could say "Address range of this road would be 1500 to 2799, with odds on the north side of the road" so this can be added to the road to make addressing more accurate.  In such cases use the theoritical minimum and maximum number.
  • "No vehicles are permitted, just pedestrians and bicycles."
  • "This freeway exit is for HOV vehicles only."
  • After naming the road "Johnston Avenue" you might make a note saying "This is a separated continuation of the Johnston  Avenue 1 mile to the west.", which then allows them to mark both as one road and thus have them properly considered when you search.  This works best if you can also provide the address ranges of all sections.
  • "Road comes right up to Main Street, but does not actually intersect with it; it should dead end as there is a concrete barrier."
  • The same as above but with "The barrier does allow pedestrian and bicycle traffic to pass through."
  • "Road is in poor condition, it should not be used for through traffic, the parallel routes are much better."
  • "The intersection that forms with Main Street does not allow left turns from southbound to westbound."

But again it's optional, and thus it's not necessary to fill in something that the reviewers are going to figure out themselves.  Use it instead to convey the non-obvious info that is important to know to have the road system work correctly.  If you're ever unsure how to convey something then please do post here, as the long time mappers that drew roads in Map Maker will be able to advise using their knowledge of the road attributes that are available and how they affect navigation.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

Thank you so much @Flash; your guidance makes working on map very easy. 

Thanks again!