Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

50MP and 20MB limit for a 360° sphere

Is this rule for real?

I just uploaded org. file by mistake.

+80MP and 36MB.

Not the google converted sphere as usual.

50MP and 20MB.

No warning, and it was working?

14 comments
Level 10

Re: 50MP and 20MB limit for a 360° sphere

Level 7

It was a mistake and a double upload, I took it down right away.

How it happened; I had all photos in the same map, 50MP and ~80MP.

I had no use for the 80MP and I deleted them, but one was open in another program and didn't get deleted.

It didn't show up in folder when I selected pictures and dragged them to the upload window, shift click first pic and last.

But if I pressed F5 it became visible again.

I couldn't see any visible difference between the 50 and 80MP image, I check info on both, one was 50MP other was 80MP.

(The length I had to go through to be able to delete the right image was astonishing.

Why the name of picture isn't visible?

It's making my daily work very hard...

If I'm doing a multi level tour, I only see ex. 1-99 and if the picture almost look the same, how will I know if it's 4 or 35 or 72 that should be on next position?

Solution from my side is to take picture in the correct order with camera and then upload them in same order to get the numbers to align.

But if you have to reshoot a few of them, order is broken.)

As I sort of depending on google maps to work, I don't want to break any rules and get banned for doing so.

There's a rule about 50MP and max 20MB, but it's not stated what will happen if you pass one of these borders.

More surprisingly, it didn't warn me.

My first thought was, OK, they increased the limits.

My second thought was, oh, what if it's another bug?

If you have a +50MP and +20MB image, try yourself.

Guess it wouldn't be hard to duplicate this issue.

Or if google approve an upload of a larger image in a bugcheck test, to see if it's possible to duplicate problem, then I can upload one.

Level 10

I'm sure, sometimes i've uploaded pictures >20 Mb, but never >50Mpixel. My equipment doesn't reach this resolution for stitched panos.

Level 7

If you're using PTGui you can select size, as I do but in different direction.

My pictures are usually 12500x6250 at 97% ~35MB, give or take a few hundred pixels and a few MB.

When a clean Nadir is attached, I set it to 10000x5000 and 97-88% in PTGui to be under the 50/20 limit.

Level 10

Files from my APS-C sensor, stitched, usually are below 9000x4500 px, both on ptguid and kolor autopano pro.

It's a Nikon D300 12 Mpx

Level 7

Go to create panorama tab, place marker in height window, delete numbers that is there and type in 6000.

Change Settings to 97%.

Click create panorama.

Now you will have a 72MP panorama +20MB.

Level 10

Ok, but this is an upscaling! I always upload images not upscaled. I did some tests before the limit was downsized to 14 mpixel (to allow direct Theta S uploads), upscaling theta files, but usually i create panoramas at maximum (depending on the connection between images) size available 😉

Level 7

Yes, this is an upscaling, if you want to test size limits today in google maps.

This way you can replicate the scenario.

I don't think google maps feel any differences on an upscaled or  a downscaled image, only the size of it.

Yesterday it worked fine to upload ~80MP 35MB.

Level 7

Here is a link to a 73MP sphere?

Looks like it's working with more then 50MP.

Not sure it's working as it should.