AradhanaB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

Local Guides Volunteer Day 2016

It’s the season of giving and we are inviting Local Guides from around the world to join us for Local Guides Volunteer Day on December 10. Host or join a meet-up with your fellow Local Guides to lend a helping hand in your community. You’ll end the year on a positive note and together we can help make the world a better place.

Ideas to get you started:

• Clear out your closet for a clothing drive
  • Help clean-up a beach
  • Donate old towels to an animal shelter
  • Deliver meals to those in need
  • Organize a toy drive
  • Visit a children’s hospital
  • Donate blood
  • Host an accessibility-focused geo walk

If you want to lead an activity or host a meet-up, be sure to fill out this form to get your project added to our Local Guides Volunteer Day My Map. When filling out the form be sure to: 

• Include a link to your meet-up event page. This is very important. If you only link to your own profile or a website, your meet-up will be rejected. You must create an event page (on any platform) with all of the information about your meet-up.
  • Select "Volunteer Day" from the drop down menu. We are reviewing Volunteer Day meet-ups first so make sure you select the right activity for what you are planning. 
  • Choose the date on which your meet-up will happen. If it is part of Volunteer Day, make sure you select December 10, 2016 (12/10/2016) or we won't know to include you on the My Map

Whether leading an activity, attending a meet-up, or doing something on your own, we’d love to see how you are participating. Be sure to share photos and stories with the #LocalGuides hashtag so we can follow along and give shout-outs along the way.

FAQs

Who can organize a Local Guides Volunteer Day meet-up?

Anyone Local Guide is welcome to host or attend a meet-up. Local Guides submit their meet-up or activity to be featured on our My Map.

How can I get my meet-up on the Volunteer Day My Map?

Local Guides whose meet-up meet our guidelines can submit their meet-up or activity to be featured on our My Map.

How will the meet-ups be selected and displayed on the My Map?

Meet-ups submitted by Local Guides will be reviewed to ensure they meet our guidelines before being added to our My Map. To improve your chances of being featured, make sure your activity is related to a charitable cause and has an event page with complete details.

I have another meet-up idea that’s not mentioned above. Can I still be added to the My Map?

The ideas above are merely suggestions; we encourage you to come up with your own ways to give back to your local community. Remember to include as much detail as possible when submitting your meet-up so we can properly review it.

How much time will it take for my meet-up to be reviewed, approved, and added to the My Map?

Please allow 2-3 working days to review your application and, once approved, be published to the My Map.

Will you help me promote my meet-up?

We will be sharing the Local Guides Volunteer Day My Map on our social channels and Local Guides Connect, so everyone can access it and find a local meet-up.

Can I promote my meet-up?

Yes. You can promote your own meet-up in Local Guides Connect, on your own social channels,  in your community, or anywhere that makes sense for you.

I don’t know any Local Guides near me, can I still participate?

Yes. There are many ways to give back to your community without attending an event. You could look up all the hospitals or schools in your city and make sure they are on Google Maps. You could walk your neighborhood, adding information to small businesses, or make a video to bring awareness to a cause.

Will Local Guides be paying to support the meet-up?

No, Local Guides will not be paying to support the meet-up. If your meet-up requires attendees to cover their cost of food and beverages, please be sure to mention in the event details.

Will Local Guides donate to the charity I support?

No, Local Guides will not be donating to the charity you support. We encourage all Local Guides to engage with their local community and lend a helping hand. Google supports causes which are mentioned on Google.org

oct2016-lg-volunteer-day-social.png

138 comments
Level 8

Re: Local Guides Volunteer Day 2016

Hi @AradhanaB...

I hosted event as per your post and I m waiting for official approval of event.

Can I participate other even hosted by other local guides

How can I come to know other events in my area ?

Ganesh Krishna Soordelu
https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/107546818522123617136/reviews/@13.0054542,77.5676733,13z?hl=en
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AradhanaB This is a truly wonderful...

It is really nice to see how things are going and what can be done in 1th world countries.

There in my small town which belongs to 3th world countries, according to my capabilities, I can Donate blood (I have that) but I am not sure that I can do here in town...

I am owner of community Bosnia and Herzegovina Local Guides and I would like to ask:

Can I create an "online meet-up" with name Bosnia and Herzegovina Local Guides - Volunteer Day 2016 with focus on volunteer activities by members of community who can publish (in community) what they are donated or do in accordance with these ideas but without meeting "face to face" at some place because Its not easy to travel to some place for all of as (for me, even bus ticket is expensive). But Local Guides from Bosnia and Herzegovina can do something (if they like) and share that in community. After that we can share some "presentation" of activity that I can create sorted by name and activity of all Local Guides.

Level 8

@AradhanaB supper & great  

Level 8

This would be a vary good work for all of Local Guides around the world.

Thanks for sharing. @AradhanaB

Hi,

Thank you for submitting your event. Please ensure you have followed the meet-up guidelines of having a active event page that other Local Guides can see and join. You can see other Local Guides Volunteer Day meet-up on the My Map which has been mentioned in the article. Please read through the FAQ on the post for more details. 

Hi,

Thank you for your questions. I would recommend that you create a Local Guide Volunteer Day meet-up for your city, you can organize activity locally which aims at helping your city with your friends and other Local Guides. It could be cleaning a road, painting a school so you don't have to travel to far of places. On your community you can encourage other Local Guides from different places to organize their own volunteer day meet-ups in their community and possibly share ideas on what they can do. 

Level 3

Anh em Vietnam vào điểm danh offline đi

Level 10

@AradhanaBThis is really nice i will organize something for the local guides in Kenya