Anonymous's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Toronto guides being mislead and mistreated

Tonight the event at the ART GALLERY OF ONTARIO [redacted by google for no reason] has left many guides feeling disapointed and lied to. After inviting 3000 people to the event and allowing them to rsvp'd while telling them that they will be welcome to partake in a Google hosted event with a guest at thier side the organization is saying that only 300 people are actually welcome. I for one am now in a position where my public posts telling my friends and clients about this has left me looking like I made the whole thing up. As a man of my word who felt as if he was being rewarded for his contributions I am outraged to now find out that they are holding the event without so much as a cancelation or explanation being sent to those who were falsely invited. This is beyond irresponsible and would be seen as most by rude.  Citing the language used may have been misleading then claiming that the time it takes for lawyers to come up with perfect wording is the reason they couldn't make us aware is clearly contrary to the "do no evil" mantra at Google as it intentionally built up our hopes and dreams and encouraged us to invite a guest then dropped us all off the guest list. 

That I had to find this out morning of by hunting it down myself here on a discussion board while all other communication was via email is insulting. I think that these organizers have made it hard to want to keep contributing to a system that would do this to its most devoted users. I would like this addressed by a staff member at Google and feel all those who have been so poorly treated should be invited to the event or given compensation as this once in a lifetime experience being taken away from us after it was clearly stated that we were invited and had rsvp'd..... Those are things you mixed up, you didn't say it's a contest or use words like "entered to win" or "might be eligible" and I don't believe for a second that it was your intention to accept 3000 attendees and cut out 2700.this seems like human error and while I'd love to show respect and compassion you aren't showing us the same.  I remain hopeful someone there will resolve the issue but otherwise I'll be specifically looking to find out who ruined all of our days today and why we have been made to feel like a bunch of losers by your methods here..... Shame on you Google... Shame

Art Gallery of Ontario, Dundas Street West, Toronto, ON, Canada
6 comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Toronto guides being mislead and mistreated

This content has been removed.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Level 5

Well, I was a guest of a friend who was confirmed but never received the actual location of the event. 

I actually flew in for this and booked a hotel downtown and now we're out of plans. Real smooth Google..  Obviously not too happy about this. It's absurd. 

@marting wrote:

As i have been edited and disrespected i'm going to be filing a claim with http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/

I suggest you all do the same for the time and effort you have wasted. Google will be held accountable for the actions of it's ignorant and disrespectful staff who have not come up to the legal standards expected of such a contest in this country. I've already sent in screen shots and hope that they are prepared to deal with this better than they have tonight.

@marting wrote:

As i have been edited and disrespected i'm going to be filing a claim with http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/

I suggest you all do the same for the time and effort you have wasted. Google will be held accountable for the actions of it's ignorant and disrespectful staff who have not come up to the legal standards expected of such a contest in this country. I've already sent in screen shots and hope that they are prepared to deal with this better than they have tonight.

Former Google Contributor

@CharlesG and @Anonymous (whom I just replied to and will be using the same message here)

The Local Guides team works really hard to put together wonderful experiences for our Local Guides and we hate when things go wrong or don't work as planned. Recently we failed to deliver a good experience to our Taipei and Toronto Local Guides and we want to apologize.  We failed to communicate well and we want to ask for your forgiveness. As a result of a technical failure and poor communication, many Local Guides were left not knowing if they were confirmed to attend the events or not. This was a bad and confusing situation and we are conducting a deep analysis of what went wrong to fix the problems going forward.

What happened:

1. A major bug affected RSVPs in the event RSVP tool. This actually affected all of our events but particularly Taipei and Toronto. The bug caused only some of people who RSVPd to be captured in our system and thus be sent confirmation or waitlist emails.
  2. When people RSVPd, they received an email confirming their submission of their RSVP. This was not a confirmation of attendance, but the language used in this message was not clear and confused recipients.
  3. Some people received an email saying they had been added to our waitlist. This meant if spots opened up at the event, we would reach out to them to extend an invitation. The language used in this message and term “waitlist” was not clear and confused recipients.

What we will do:

1. Fix the bug! This bug affected all of our events and we are trying to fix it as fast as possible.
  2. We are changing the language used in all confirmations and emails to make it very clear what the status of your invitation is.
  3. We will make the language in invitation emails more clear and explicit about how many people can attend our events. In this case we did expand the events to include more people in an attempt to accommodate the overwhelming volume of RSVPs.

We understand this was a disappointing and frustrating experience and take the situation very seriously. 

Anonymous
Not applicable