MegS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

Re: Local Guides Challenge: Toronto Event

@YounasA @JoeyC We understand this is frustrating and as @MegS noted in her original post, if you did not receive a confirmation email with the details, you were unfortunately not confirmed for this evening's event. 

The Toronto community, however, is very active and hopefully you'll be able to join an upcoming meet-up. We know it's not quite the same as a Google-hosted event, but it's with the same awesome people here in Toronto. Again, we thank you for your contributions to Google Maps and apologize for any confusion or inconvenience this may have caused.

(Edit: Local Guides meet-ups can be found on g.co/localguides under "Community & Events)

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 7

No worries,,, Hope you guys will have a lot of fun... will miss the good food and company 🙂 wish me better luck next time..

Level 10

Thanks @TraciC for the kind words!

The Local Guides community for Toronto has several upcoming meet-ups - check them out.  Last year we hosted 36 meet-ups.   It would be nice to meet some new Local Guides come out and make new friends.   I have made some really good friends through local guides!!

We also post in our community - other Google Sponsored events in Toronto - for those people interested.

Start-Up Weekend is this weekend for Toronto/Markham - Sponsored by Google. Check them Out

Richard Trus

Co-Moderator Toronto Local Guides

Level 6

Well yes, quite a shame, but these free events are Always underwhelming and end up feeling like a waste of time. Not impressed, but nor do I think it would have been better than sub-par anyway, even less if we had to pay for parking for the downtown area.

Googler

@ChristianV I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that point but that's what makes Local Guides great — we're a global community with lots of different opinions and experiences that make us very unique. I've attended a lot of events in the past five years both as a community member and manager. I host meet-ups myself and attended the Toronto community's meet-up at The Lockhart in Toronto which I flew up from NYC to attend on my own. I loved it! 🙂 

Again, we're sorry this was a frustrating experience but we're hopeful this will not be repeated and thank everyone for their patience and feedback which will only help our experiences and program to improve.

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 6

Okay, can you outline the events of the previous/ most recent Local Guides Event? Would there have been free parking tonight? @TraciC

Level 3

Strange that attendance is limited to just 300 people . The [redacted] can comfortably hold a lot more people than that.  Sounds like event was poorly organized from the start.

Level 6

There is no free parking at the [redacted] , so half of my statement has already proven to be true.

@CleanT wrote:

Strange that attendance is limited to just 300 people . The [redacted]  can comfortably hold a lot more people than that.  Sounds like event was poorly organized from the start.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't misunderstand anything and I remain unimpressed and let down. The language you used was deliberately misleading and I still have not been contacted by a representative to address this issue or to confirm that you will be making this right. This was absolutely a failure on major level. Has anyone else ever received an invite,  then rsvp'd to a wedding,  then been told they aren't welcome. I have not... What an insult. I shared posts publicly and promoted your platform based on this event. It promised us free food and drink and even elaborated with each mailer. If you claim Google puts time and lawyers behind these messages how could you have failed so completely on 90% of those invited. You claim we were all worth of a ticket but you don't explain how you selected those who got an invite and you leave us all here trying to e plain to people that were didn't lie, but that Google lied to us. Saying we misread or mistook your emails is a cop out. Please escalate this immediately and contact me to explain how this is going to be resolved because I don't "understand" anything but that you are all failing at events planning and are doing so at the cost of your contributers looking foolish. 

@MegS wrote:

Hi @Anonymous,

Thanks for your feedback. A few others were confused by our invitation and thought it guaranteed entry; we've made a note and will use different language in the future.

As for notifying you in advance, we absolutely agree and wholeheartedly apologize — we weren't aware that not everyone received our waitlist notification until it was brought to our attention on Friday. We've been working to resolve the issue and apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused.

Please continue to submit feedback here on Connect (in the corresponding forum) and we'll escalate.

Thanks for your understanding.

Level 6

Jesus, you were really looking forward to this.. they messed up, we get it, try not to take it so hard..