LiamG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Re: Local Guides Challenge Toronto

There's a thread about it here: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Feedback-and-Feature-Requests/Guides-Event-in-Toronto/m-p/1131...

If you don't have info in your email already, you are not on the guest list and won't be going... They evidently had problems with sending out the followup emails to people who were not on the final list. Disappointing but at least you know now...

Former Google Contributor

Re: Guides Event in Toronto

Hi @DanielP,

Thanks for the feedback. Our invitation certainly wasn't meant as a bait and switch — we only invited Local Guides who merited a spot at our event in the first place; there was nothing further you needed to do (except RSVP) to secure a place. As for inviting more attendees than we can accommodate, we hear you loud and clear — we will be reexamining our efforts in the future. To share insight, we have 3,000+ RSVPs for fewer than 300 spaces. We're amazed at the overwhelming interest and responses for these events; it certainly wasn't our intention to mislead anyone.

@yao tingw It sounds as if you, too, are affected by our email issue. Our sincere apologies for any confusion or inconvenience. Please continue to flag feedback and issues here on Connect so we can escalate them.

@Matcus Thanks again. We hope to see you next time, too!

Level 4

Agreed! Glad I came across this thread. I was still wondering what was going on- it was definitely a misleading email! I'd rate this experience a 1 star...

Level 7

@MegS I guess just to add to the statistics, I received the exact same emails that @DanielP and @yao tingw received as well.

Level 4

Hi @MegS,

I figured the intention was honest, I'm just talking about the communication and followup to support it. Sending the first email as an invitation was a mistake, I think. If it had been sent as an announcement and the RSVP was clearly described as a sort of "tell us if you'd be interested" or "sign up for a chance to attend" I'd have had no problem with the whole thing. Adding to the confusion was the note about "keep contributing" to have a chance to attend, and the failures in your email system as you described. To be clear, I still haven't received anything beyond the initial confirmation of the RSVP.

I totally understand the logistics element of running a large event like this, especially for free, but the communication was and seems to still be lacking. Even at this moment I still haven't received an email to say "sorry we filled up" and the number of confused posts on here seems to be rising. At this point wouldn't it make sense to send out an email to all local guides (a system which seems to work for the normal announcements and whatnot) just to say "if you didn't get an email by now you aren't on the final list, sorry for the confusion"? At least give people a day's notice about it so they can rearrange their plans and not be waiting on an invitation that isn't coming?

@DanielP Ideally, yes — if we could, we'd have already sent an email explaining and apologizing for exactly that. Unfortunately our email approvals process involves many teams (spam, legal, marketing, etc.), and hence take weeks to be approved and sent (any email you've received from us has been weeks in the making).

We will likely send a belated email apologizing, but it won't be possible to get one out today, and likely not this week.

Level 4

Oof, that's not ideal. Good luck putting out the fires until then lol 🙂

Re: "Winning the Local Guides Challenge 2016"

Hi @DavidMG,

Thanks for the feedback. @DanielP is correct that we discovered an issue on Friday and have been working over the weekend to resolve it. Seattle's confirmation and waitlist emails haven't been sent yet; we should be able to get ahead of the issue and not encounter what we have in Toronto. We typically send confirmation and waitlist emails one week before the event; you'll hear from us by Friday in either case. There is an FAQ page on our event site that might help clarify some of your other questions.

@DanielP, we've removed the email address you listed in this post as we don't share email addresses publicly on Connect. We've been responding to individuals privately as needed. Thanks again for your patience and understanding!

Level 2

I received an RSVP but haven't received the name of the restaurant as yet.  It's the day before.  Don't we need to know?

@DanielPetersen wrote:

There's a thread about it here: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Feedback-and-Feature-Requests/Guides-Event-in-Toronto/m-p/1131...

If you don't have info in your email already, you are not on the guest list and won't be going... They evidently had problems with sending out the followup emails to people who were not on the final list. Disappointing but at least you know now...

Level 4

Did you get an email last week with details, or just the initial RSVP stuff back in December? If you did not get a second email just recently with the details then you are most likely just not on the final invite list. Loads of people in the same boat, the system did not send out emails to people who didn't get in, leading to all this confusion. Check the post I linked earlier for more info.