LiamG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Guides Event in Toronto

I RSVPed for the local guides event that is happening on the 24th almost immediately after the invite came out. Today I got an email saying I'm on the wait list because the event filled up. Was this supposed to be a contest, or perhaps a lottery that I've lost? Some clarification would be appreciated. 

Toronto, ON, Canada
38 comments

Accepted Solutions
Googler
Solution

Re: Guides Event in Toronto

Hi everyone. As @MegS has shared a comprehensive update, I'm going to merge this thread with other conversations to help keep the related conversations in one place. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for your patience. 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.

View solution in original post

Level 3

@LiamG What time today did you get this email? I registered the same day and I'm still in this weird limbo as i haven't' received any updates since i registered. 

Level 2

I got it about 2:00 yesterday (Sunday) 

Former Google Contributor

Hi @LiamG and @DeanP,

Thanks for the feedback. An issue came to our attention on Friday; not everyone had received the email we had sent them. Our apologies for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience as we continue to resolve the issue.

Liam, to answer your other question, the event is indeed at capacity and all confirmed guests have received details. The event was not a lottery, but determined by first responses as well as Google Maps contributions.

Please continue to flag feedback and issues here on Connect so we can escalate them.

Thanks for all you do for Local Guides!

Level 7

Hi @MegS, is there any chance that those of us who RSVP'd, got confirmed, and haven't heard back afterwards get an email to confirm our suspicions so we don't show up at the google Toronto office completely lost? 

Former Google Contributor

Hi @Matcus,

The automated email you received that says it confirms your registration is to let you know you're on our radar; the follow-up line that says you'll hear from us to confirm your space at the event is the email that we're having issues with. Not everyone received a waitlist confirmation as they should have. Our apologies for the confusion.

Please don't show up at the Google office — none of our events (any of these events around the world) are at our offices; no one will be here to meet you. Our event is at max capacity and all confirmed attendees have received location information.

Our apologies again for the mix-up and thanks for bearing with us.

Level 3

Local Guides Challenge Toronto

Hi,

Got an invite to the Local Guides Challenge event in Toronto on the 24th but I still have not received any information about the Location of the event.  

Can anyone provide an update or answer please

Level 4

I assume I'm not on the final list as I haven't received anything, which is no big deal. It was silly to send out emails saying "You're invited" and asking us to RSVP when only a small fraction were going to be on the final list regardless. Even saying something like "apply to attend" or "contribute now to win an invitation" would have been much clearer. This really just seems like it's trying to trick people into doing a bunch of extra free work (which we're already happily doing) by obscuring the nature of the event and the invitation process.

The first email: 

Congrats on Winning the LocalGuides Challenge!
Thank you for making Google Maps better for everyone. Thanks to the contributions you made this October, you and a guest are invited to join us at our exclusive event in Toronto.
Tuesday, January 24
6:30 PM to 9:30 PM

Secret Downtown Location
Toronto, ON

YOU'LL GET TO:
  • Sample a variety of local dishes
  • Spark your creative side with hands-on activities
  • Meet other Local Guides near you
Space is limited. RSVP by January 13. Priority is given on a first come, first served basis.

Then the confirmation adds a little more detail about what to expect.

This email is to confirm your registration for Local Guides Challenge: Toronto. Please note attendance will be prioritized based on the recency of your contributions to Google Maps. We'll be in touch via email to confirm your place on the guest list.

You can change or cancel your registration at any time.

And now searching for more information the day before the event it becomes much more clear that this was never really what it seemed. I would love to know how many people received that first "invitation" compared to how many people were actually invited to go in the end. It's not like we're owed or expecting anything, but this just leaves a bad taste in my mouth as sort of a bait-and-switch.

Level 7

Thank you for your reply @MegS, it is unfortunate that I had to find out that this was the situation this way. I hope that this mixup doesn't happen for the next event, and that I will be able to attend the next one!

EDIT: @DanielP makes an excellent point. I hope that we don't come off as though we expect to be owed this event or anything else. I agree that it does leave a bad-taste, after having to search for more information and adding the dates to our calendars and what not. I am glad though, that we were able to get responses, rather than not getting anything at all and being left to stew in our confusion.

Level 2

I did the same thing and haven't heard about anything from Google yet. At least tell me earlier that I don't have to go since it's full or something. Now I am stuck with nothing and all my schedule has become a mess.

Thanks a lot Google.