PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

World Wide Recap - The 36 Annual Photowalk - Part 1

36 Walk Global Recapthe 36 walk header smaller.jpg

Make sure you read Part 2 and Part 3 with the recaps of the cities! I could not put it all in one article it was too big. Links at the end of this article.

A bit about me & photographyCopy of Profile Picture Frame for Local Guides Moderators.png

Hi, I’m Paul Pavlinovich the supported community moderator for Melbourne, Australia. I’ve been into photography seriously since 1982 year 10 in high school. I was inspired by my father who always had a camera with him and produced beautiful images of everything we travelled to see. Once I was old enough I learned that we travelled as a family so he could photograph things.

In today’s photography we have the world at our fingertips, people think nothing of shooting 1,000 shots on a day out picking a few to keep as memories. Coming from a film background where every frame had a real monetary value I know how to operate in a constrained environment now that I’m in digital. I’m no stranger to that 1,000 shot day but periodically I constrain myself to 36: the number of frames commonly found on 35mm film during the time frame in which I started. My start was in black and white basic 35mm film. Dad was quite proud that I was getting into his hobby and saved for a long time to buy my first camera, an East German Praktika. This clunky old beast was a lot of fun although it certainly had drawbacks. You had about an 80% chance of the film actually taking up and about a 50% chance of zero light leaks. I grew to love light leaks and what they do to pictures.

I would charge my own film canisters from a bulk roll and load the camera. When done I would usually not even bother rewinding but would put the camera, a developing tank, spool and scissors into the dark bag to load the spool and get it into the light proof tank. For the next twenty minutes or so you’d run through developer, stop and finally fix before you had any idea if you even had any pictures at all. Once the film was developed you’d open the tank and hang it up to dry. Leaving it overnight was the best bet to make sure the chemical coating hardened properly so you’d not scratch it in the enlarger. You’d get the negative into a negative pocket bag so you could make your contact print. This would be exposed by placing the negatives onto a 8x11 sheet of paper and exposing to the bright enlarger light then developing. This contact sheet gave you a feel for each of the images and “told” you how to process each shot that you wanted to make a print of. I’ve still got all those negative pocket bags! Hundreds of them! I used to make around 2,000 negatives per year and around 1,000 of those made it into print. Today I shoot an average of 20,000 images per year a third of those coming from model shoots, a third from organised photowalks and a third coming from photography I do by myself.

The genesis of The 36 Walk

The 36 Walk.PNGEven though I shoot ten times more images in this wonderful digital world I’m very aware that this drives down my quality. From 50% success with fim down to 10% with digital. From time to time I would get out one of the collection of film cameras I own and shoot off a 36 and surprisingly right up there at 50% to 80% success rate. Note that I define a successful shot as one which makes the photographer happy. While I like to share, if you don’t like my photo that’s ok. Doesn’t worry me in the slightest. The ratio of success from film to digital lead me to start a little photowalk back in 2012 called The 36 Walk. On that day Photograph Melbourne community ran two walks - one morning and one afternoon. After a month or so the images would drift in from the film people and mix with the memories of those who shot digital. The usual instant gratification share of digital is delayed when shooting film. I sometimes find myself chimping the back of the film camera after a shot. Today I keep the display of my digital camera of choice reversed so that I cannot see it. This killed my chimping habit. I have to trust what I saw through the viewfinder. Each year since 2012 this walk has run at varying times of the year eventually settling to somewhere late April. That brings us to 2017.

How did we end up world wide with Google Local Guides?

For the last few years I’ve been a member of the Local Guides program and have been the supported community moderator of Melbourne for few years. This year the little idea of the 36 came up and I thought that perhaps I could marry it to Local Guides as a way to help people improve their photography for Google Maps. A lot of people contribute photos to Maps and we’ve all been guilty of the questionable images. I thought the 36 idea would help to improve this situation and would be a great way to have some fun meet-ups around the world promoting Local Guides. We all like to make our little mark on the world, something that outlives us and continues. My photography is that for me, and perhaps through 36 it will become that for other people.

Earlier in the year I approached Googler Traci Cappiello to pitch the idea of a global 36 walk to see if the Local Guides team thought it was something they would be interested in supporting. The outcome was a resounding yes. At about the same time the new meet-up https://maps.google.com/localguides/meetup system launched and we decided to use this as the main platform for the walks to get organised. Initially I thought maybe two or three walks would run in addition to my own Melbourne 36 via people that I knew. The grand plan that I have to admit wasn’t geared up for a big response was to have people apply to lead a walk via a Google Form and I would contact them and verify they were legit and then create a meet-up in the new system for them. The first few came in and there were some teething problems around time zones with the meet-up system. Googler Jess Safir worked with me to resolve this problem and we put the first few in. We also encountered an issue with how the meet-up system filtered the allowable locations to businesses which was causing a back and forth with walk leaders to change their starting points. Again Jess worked with me to resolve this and off we went. The timezone issue was mostly addressed but the occasional slip caused a change in approach to have the approved walk leaders lodge their own meet-ups. I can’t thank Jess enough for all her help with the meet-ups.

Paul and the video crewPaul and the video crew

The idea really took off, the launch article was featured on Local Guides Connect for a week or so as a banner on the front page and seemed to resonate with people as both the comments were favourable and the registrations of potential walk leaders went through the roof. Around 40 people applied to lead walks and of those once they found out more information about the idea 25 elected to go ahead, there were last minute additions of another three making the final city count 28. The walks were made public both via the meet-ups embedded within the Google Maps product and Local Guides Connect and using the Google My Maps product https://www.google.com/mymaps using a public My Map https://goo.gl/zw7lyt all of the cities that were listed on the MyMap did end up running walks and most of them have shared images where I’ve been able to find them using the #localguides #36photo and #36photo2017 tags. Many of these have been reshared from the 36 Walk page on Google Plus (yes it does still exist, no it isn’t a ghost town) https://plus.google.com/+The36AnnualPhotowalk

Getting things organised in the lead up to the walk day of April 23rd was challenging because anticipating only a small response I didn’t build up a team of helpers and had to process all of the requests myself. The choice of getting the walk leaders to lodge their own meet-ups took much of this pressure off allowing me to concentrate on planning my own 36 walk.

The final list of 2017 cities in registration order was

Melbourne, Australia with Paul Pavlinovich

San Francisco, United States of America with Atul Chaudhari (replacing Roxanne Overton who had to pull out for family reasons)

New York, United States of America with Fred Alluso

Kapenguria Town, Kenya with Jonas Kibet

Engu, Nigeria with Nkenna Aneke

Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka with Anuradha Piyadasa

Sydney/Milsons Point, Australia with Alex Griffith

Pribham, Czechia with Zdenek Horak (Tenvelkej)

Tierra del Fuego Province, Argentina with Farid Monti

Rome, Italy with Lucio Virzi

Lansing, United States of America with Ken Whitinger

Guadalajara, Mexico with Alejandro Villa Renteria

Melbourne, Australia with Thomas Hayes

Perth, Australia with Rob Masters

Nairobi, Kenya with Robert Opiyo

Comilla, Bangladesh with Shafiul Bashar

Surubaya, Indonesia with Ahadin Fahmi

Arugam Bay, Sri Lanka with Ilankovan Thushyantha

Ajah, Lagos with Chim Chiez

Brisbane, Australia with Trace McLean

Venice Beach / LA, United States of America with Roberto James (Jeannette G?)

Kansas City, Kansas, United States of America with William Rock

Tokyo, Japan with Gyuzel Sapyazova

Sidoarjo, Indonesia with Ahadin Fahmi

Manchester, England, United Kingdom with Adrian Lunsong

Bheemili Beach, India with Abhinav kumar

Go on to Part 2

Go on to Part 3

77 comments
Level 10

Re: World Wide Recap - The 36 Annual Photowalk - Part 1

@PaulPavlinovich It was an excellent experience, and I loved it. Most of the people born after 1990 dose not know about the film role era.

Thank you for organising this event and hope to participate in the next year's 36 Photowalk. 

Level 10

Connect Moderator

@AnuradhaP @ProfArunCM I'm glad you enjoyed the event - just that makes all the work worthwhile :). Thank you both.

Level 10

Thanks @PaulPavlinovich i love this story.

I grow with film, in the same years: my first DSLR was a Yashica FX-D Quartz, bought in 1983.

My passion for photography revamped with digital, and now, my success rate (according to your standards) is around 50%.

Was really great to feel part of something so great.

Thanks also to @TraciC and @JessicaS for being so great.

Googler

Thank you for sharing the background and so many awesome details about your photography journey and how The 36 came together, @PaulPavlinovich! It was so wonderful to participate here in NYC with amateur and professional photographers. I'm definitely looking at the photos I take differently ever since the walk and hope to make you proud with the images I share on Google Maps and beyond. 🙂 

Thanks to all for participating, too!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Really Nice!, 

Connect Moderator

Thanks @TraciC and @JessicaS it never would have come together without the Local Guides Team, especially you for all the encouragement and Jess for adjusting the meetup system and approving walks. Awesome teamwork.

@LucioV I just looked up that little camera - magic. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

@Anonymous thanks mate 🙂

Googler

Hi @PaulPavlinovich. Your post is featured on the homepage today! Check it out: 

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 9.16.51 AM.png

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 8

Thanks for sharing @PaulPavlinovich.. I really missed this event.. I hope to be part in the next year's 36 walk.. 🙂

Vellore Local Guides