HelloJess's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: What are your tips for first-time meet-up hosts?

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes after doing a bit of reading on it I decided that there wasn't enough time to prepare, plan, register and promote it. 

I'm curious to hear your thoughts about Chadstone though. Perhaps when you're over these two youth camps, and if you have time I'd love to pick your brains on it. If you're ok with that? 

Connect Moderator

Absolutely. For a time frame I like at least a month to promote a meetup otherwise you'll be lonely ;).

Happy to get together sometime over a coffee to walk through how I do things. I've put up a few posts here and if you can find the videos from last year's Summit I was on a panel talking this exact topic. No need to follow exactly what I do though, you will have your own ideas and thoughts too.

Regards Paul

Level 5

Oh Hi! I am happy to see another Nigerian doing this. I just decided to start my own meet up in my area. I would like us to discuss more for tips. Where are you based? 

Level 10

Thanks. Coffee to walk through hosting an event sounds great. Really appreciate your taking the time to help me learn the ropes. Let me know when you are able. PM me via the other modes to set up meet up. 

In the meantime how do I find those summit videos?...

Connect Moderator

hi @MariaNgo logs of 2017 application videos will show up with this link https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=local+guides+summit+2017+

If you want videos from 2016 search #lgsummit16

Level 6

Hi Jess,

3 topics come to mind...

First, do your homework! Go check it out prior to taking people out there. Be familiar so you can answer questions before the trip. If your not familiar with the area they will know it.

Secondly, my longtime mentor once said to me, if you want to be a plumber then dress like one, if you want to be an electrician then dress like one, if you want to be a Guide then Dress Like a Guide. Don't take people on a hike showing up like you just taught a yoga class.

...and last, for God's sake... take some training. CPR, Wilderness First Aid, Guides License and a permit if nessisary 

Level 8

Boa questão,@JessicaS!

Eu ando pelo mundo e já tentei um encontro por aqui quando estive em Estocolmo.

Fiz uma chamada e ninguém respondeu.

Quero encontrar brasileiros em diversos lugares pelo mundo.

E encontrar os Local Guides barsileiros por onde eu for.

Como faço @GusMoreira

Vou ao Porto na semana do dia 9 a 11 de Setembro. 

Level 8

Hi

Hw can I host a meet up at my locality

Neeraj Beri

+91 9861999845

Connect Moderator

Hi @neerajberi you can organise a meetup here at https://maps.google.com/localguides/meetup and then promote to your socials or other channels. All the materials and tools become available to you once you setup your meetup.

Please edit your post to remove your phone number as we don't allow private contact details here on Connect. People needing to contact you can directly message you here.

Regards Paul

Level 8

Hi @Shirley. Your no.2 tips is the one I'm questioning. Thanks for sharing.

Bali Local Guides contribute to give back to the community.