HelloJess's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: What are your tips for first-time meet-up hosts?

Thanks for your kind works @ThanulakshanS enjoy your Meet-up 🙂 and take more photos and share with us 🙂

Connect Moderator

@DiAnaUS your meetup will be great - never fear

Level 8

Thank you for the vote of confidence @PaulPavlinovich 🙂 

Level 9

@HelloJess

Hi all,

Sorry for the late response, am travelling.

I was so scare too for my 1st meetup!! So you guys are not alone.

I am also still learning from everyone. Especially from Meetup host superstars @IlankovanT and @PaulPavlinovich

The best advice that Bella Wibowo gave me at the Summit16 was, "Shirni, just do it!"

Really, don't over think it. Dont' worry! Just do it!

(Hahaha I know you still will, but try not to be too worry. I'll explain more below)

Firstly, I do highly recommend you to join any LG events around you first to learn from existing LG meetup host.

I love to join other's event! You just kick back and enjoy the fun huhuhu 😄

If there is no existing events happening at your place not to worry.

So this is also how I start.

Think of something you want to do. Something that is interesting to you. You have to enjoy your own event 🙂

Will anyone turn up?

This is the most scariest question.

But you know what, LG is a volunteer program. You just do your best. Don't worry about the numbers. It's not important.

I actually like a crowd less than 10. Maximum 15.

Of cause bigger crowd the photos will look impressive, but I think anything bigger than 15 is too overwhelming.

It's personal, I like to be able to chat with everyone at my event. 

Really, don't worry about numbers, we are not in a competition. Don't stress yourself on that. Even 1 or 2 is fine.

Even if there is no 1 that show's up, don't be disappointed or sad. Continue with you plans, enjoy yourself to the max, take crazy loads of selfies and show it off to us! 

Make us regret not going to your event hahahhaha and we will make sure we will show up on your next event! Huhuhu 

Guys, most importantly you enjoy what you are doing! That's what matter most.

Let me know if you have any issue or questions about event organizing, I will try my best to help!

If you are near me let me know, I can help you start your 1st event 🙂

Local guides is a community. We welcome everyone to share, contribute and to help each other!

#LGFamily !

Here's a post of my LG Adventures since last year and the events that I did if you wanna read more.

Shirni Ong ❉ Shirni OngInstagramWasabiSaysSingaporeMalaysia
Level 8

As with any event, hosting for the first time gets someone feeling all good giddy at first but butterflies as the time draws near. Happened to me on my first Local Guide meet-up and other events. Once you're done the first meet-up, give yourself a tap on the back because you'll have learnt experiences from it.

Here are my tips, though some have been shared already :

1. Have a team (even if it's one other person). It's good to have someone who will help spot things you miss. Discuss with your local LG community as they are bound to have ideas that will surprise you. 

2. Depending on local laws, some places will require a permit to shoot. Check with your local council or if you know street photographers or people who work in the media, they can guide you on how to approach this. 

3. Before the meet-up, try to introduce yourself to people who RSVP. This helps when there are some newbies and may get lost to the location. Also try and talk to everyone to make them feel welcomed. 

Spoiler

4. Timing is key. Someone will always be late. Have a communication channel for those who RSVP in case someone wants to let you know they'll be late. 

5. Definitely have fun and make great memories.  After meet up meal or snack is a great bonding time.

6. Collect and accept feedback from participants. 

Level 2

Michael Here; We'll ! First all of all we will meet somewhere casual for brunch, and then we would discuss more in how we would meet up and discuss different fun locations to visit. But ! First we were introduced ourselves to each other and say hello to each other as well.

Level 7

Hi @HelloJess ! I cannot see my post -> https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Let-s-Meet-Up/Recap-Dindigul-Fort-Explore-Local-Guides-Meetup/...

on "Lets Meet-up" board. Also I cannot see who replied to that. What went wrong ? 

Former Google Contributor

@LogeshKumar I can see your post but I can't see the replies. Can you try again? If you still can't see your post, can you share a screenshot of what you can see? I'll look into this in the meantime.

Level 5

But you may consider doing it for first timers, so as to encourage them to come for your meetups, when they get very interested and enjoy the the meetup, they will not depend on you to cover their expense again. @PaulPavlinovich

Spoiler

Connect Moderator

@IsaacMarcus I'm guessing you are referring to covering guests expenses. If I am personally organising a meetup I'm afraid I am not so desperate for company to pay people to come. I organise meetups that are contextual and interesting so people will come along and enjoy themselves. If people do not want to come then that's fine with me they don't have to!

Regards

Paul