HelloJess's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Google Contributor

What are your tips for first-time meet-up hosts?

Many of you are experts at hosting meet-ups, so I'm curious — what tips do you have for someone hosting a meet-up for the first time? I'm going to tag @IlankovanT, who I know has hosted a LOT of meet-ups so I'm sure he can kick off the conversation. I'll also tag @br14n, who has also hosted meet-ups (and whose photo I used below!). And why not throw in @Shirni@Shirley and @PaulPavlinovich for good measure 🙂

Meet-up hosts, let us know your tips in the comments below. If you're new to Local Guides or just have a question about how to organize a meet-up, feel free to also leave a comment.

I love this pic from @br14n1's latest meet-up!I love this pic from @br14n1's latest meet-up!

221 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: What are your tips for first-time meet-up hosts?

My #1 tip is have fun. Every meetup is valuable, whether it be a couple of people getting together to update local maps, enjoy a coffee or meal or take on a geowalk/photowalk. Don't try to start too big, think about what might be fun - chat to other Local Guides to get ideas and to thrash out your own. Once you've got something create your meetup at https://maps.google.com/localguides/meetup but you cannot relax just yet. Now start to post about your meetup on every social channel you've got to enthuse people to join you. Invite both Local Guides and others. The best way to make others become Local Guides is get them interested via a meetup. 24 hours before your meetup post out a reminder recapping the meet point, time and purpose of the meetup. At this time you can't contact people who have joined your meetup but I think that's a common request so cross your fingers and it might appear eh @HelloJess?

Get to your meetup point early (I usually fail at this!!) and use something like a printed Local Guides Powered By Us Logo to help people find you. Greet everyone and introduce yourself and start your meetup. At the end I like to get feedback on how things could be better next time.

My #2 tip is never give up, sometimes no-one shows up to a meetup, that's ok, enjoy the day and do it anyway. 

Regards Paul

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not yet at PRO but I've had 5 plus and with that little experience,  I can tell you

1. Always make a physical  check of where you plan to do a geo walk, ask questions to make sure there's freedom of movement there.

2. Always ask questions before deciding on where to make a photo walk, many places in Nigeria require you tell the police what you want to do, so you don't get into trouble. I don't think we have local guides lawyers yet.

3. Always budget so as not to spend more than you had wanted. If you're not in the best position to spend, mark your meetup as expenses not covered. 

4. The most important thing however is what @PaulPavlinovich said , no matter what.  Always have FUN.

C'est tres Important. 

Connect Moderator

@Anonymous I would never cover the expenses of others, Local Guides isn't about making yourself poor. 

Great tips @PaulPavlinovich. You're correct in that there isn't a way to directly contact your attendees besides the post on Local Guides Connect. That said, watch this space....

Five meet-ups, @Anonymous? That's impressive. I really like your advice about checking your meet-up location out ahead of time. This is also important if you want to host a meet-up at a cafe or restaurant.

Connect Moderator

Always hopeful @HelloJess 

When Local Guides are creating meetups, the team members like @HelloJess are absolutely awesome about helping push things along and resolve issues and give you ideas and encouragement if you need it.

You're too kind, @PaulPavlinovich! We really do our best to encourage and support Local Guides meet-ups, especially those who are hosting (or attending!) for the first time. We particularly appreciate feedback that Local Guides share regarding your experience with meet-ups and other ways we can help out.

Connect Moderator

Hi @HelloJess, I do agree with you. Batu Local Guides meet up hosted by @br14n is always awesome. I have several chance to join their meet up. They always have a good preparation for how long meet up will be, how many people can bring the additional meals, and even, they are always being supported each other even they are absent for joing certain meet up.

I think, the tips for a good meet up to run well is that how the host can cover all the attendance needs. The good relation between local guides will make them more comfortable and eager to have another meet up. Being fair of paying attention for all of members (even the old or the new one is equal) will make the meet up be successful.

Finally, always being free to share the ideas and discoveries because that is the reason why local guides need some meet-up.:)

Indonesia Local Guides
Level 8

Thanks a lot @HelloJess for your informative topic.I have a question regarding using Google logo. I am on level 5 now and owner of #Bagerhat Local Guides but not recognized yet by Google. Can I use local guides/Google logo on my meet up program.  

@PaulPavlinovich @Anonymous

@NunungAfuah @HelloJess @TraciC