PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Want to improve your photography for maps? Join a 36 Walk

Introducing The "36" Walk, Constrain. Compose. Click.
In this wonderful digital age most of us tend to fire and forget and we know that we'll reap a few good shots in the end. We're encouraged in this behaviour because digital costs us only time.

There are 22 cities to choose from See the MyMap (link below) or the g+ 36 Walk Page  most of the walks are on April 23rd but some are on other days so check the city. You can also find walks by searching the meetups at https://maps.google.com/localguides/meetup 

Want to improve your photography?
Maybe you want to improve? Maybe you want to impose some restraint?

The "36" walk will help by limiting you to 36 shots during the walk. Film or digital, that's up to you but only 36. You will have to think about your composition, the light and the outcomes in advance before you hit that button. There are no "36" police to force you, but give it a go. You might be surprised at the outcome.

Consider and compose before you click.

You are encouraged to create a collection on your profile called The 36 2017 (or similar) and share all 36 of your images to it in separate posts. Consider explaining what attracted you to each scene if you would care to do so in the post for the image. Let's flood Maps and the internet with good photography.

#36photo #36photo2017 - posts shared with this tag will be reshared from this page after the walk into the 2017 collection.

History / Why
The "36" Walk is a photo geo walk which began in Melbourne in 2012 within the Photograph Melbourne community. It has run each year since then in various parts of Melbourne usually sometime in April.

The walk started because +Paul Pavlinovich realised that we are in a wonderful digital age but observed that his own photography was decreasing in quality and there seemed to be an emphasis on quantity instead. On discussing this with peers this seemed to be the general observation. This sparked the idea of The "36" where participants would be constrained as though they had a 36 shot film loaded.

The walk has been very successful locally with strong turn outs each year and participants achieving good outcomes. There are no 36 police so it's up to people to manage their own count and to be honest to themselves.

Paul generally shoots film on the walk but most of the participants stick with digital. There are even some who mix it up and do both.

Paul felt it was time to enlarge the scope of the walk to help people all around the world rediscover photography with constraints.

Join or host a "36" walk near you.

Joining a Walk
The walks registered by walk leaders are available on this My Map https://goo.gl/zw7lyt

Thanks for all the support and encouragement from @TraciC who keeps my spirits up during the drawn out task of organising a meetup across the world. Thanks also to the wonderful walk hosts who are giving their time to host a walk in their city.

15 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Want to improve your photography for maps? Join a 36 Walk

Lol, I posted too soon - there are now 24 walks around the world!

Googler

@PaulPavlinovich You may edit your original post! 🙂 

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Googler

Oh and I missed the shoutout. This is all you, Paul. Thanks for putting together such an awesome initiative! I can't wait to participate myself here in NYC!!!

Note: Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!.
Level 9

Hi @PaulPavlinovich

You are doing a great and noble work. keep it up: concerning the walk, I am in

Happy Days

Regards

JonasK

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
Connect Moderator

Thanks @TraciC hehe now there's 25 - last second rush.

Connect Moderator

As are you my friend, great of you to lead a walk and be so patient while we worked out the Meetup issues.

Paul

Level 9

Thanks @PaulPavlinovich,

I had to, because I am earger to participate in the meet up and to expose my community members to this awesome photowalk event. 

Thanks for organizing it; and thanks to Google through @TraciC that they approved it. 

Happy 36 Photo Walk!!

Regards

JonasK

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
Level 2

Hi Hw cn i join this community??

@PaulP wrote:

Thanks @TraciC hehe now there's 25 - last second rush.

Level 7

This is such a great idea, however, I see my city is not on the map for this Meetup. How can I host one here? Please, send me some info and details.