cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

WORLDWIDE RECAP - THE WORLDWIDE MAP EDIT WALK

1000 (6).jpg

6 CONTINENTS 39 COMMUNITIES 1 MISSION

I remembered vividly a popular phrase used by many people in the world, the phrase says: “We are the World, We are the only one that can make it a better place”. Credit Goes also to Micheal Jackson For that Inspirational Song. On Saturday July 22, 2017, 39 Communities, 6 Continents came together to achieve 1 Mission which purpose was to help their community and make an impact in the world and beyond, that mission was known as:THE WORLDWIDE MAP EDIT WALK

My name is Samson, I am a Local Guide from Nigeria.I did my Introduction here recently: My Introduction and you can know more about me there. The story of the Worldwide map edit walk is one I cant tell you how it evolve. But I know I was inspired and here we are sharing our experiences with you because we never had in mind it was going to be this big. Of course can you really say I planned this all by myself without receiving support from some amazing and wonderful Local Guides, of course No is the answer. Let me use this opportunity to thank @Osaka78forTRUMP Osama who should me one of the real benefits of this community, which is coming together as a family. :). I have never met both of them in my entire life, but this two amazing Local Guides proved the odds to me. Both of them were rallying round on Connect here and as well other communities such as the Google+ communities inviting and sharing the information with Local Guides and Non Local Guides so that they can as well join in this Worldwide event. Well, Honestly I cant say much about this 2 amazing and wonderful Local Guides but honestly If you were here a few weeks back, you would see the amazing efforts both really made. I also want to give a special thanks to all the Google Moderators who as well supported me and everyone that participated in all the way they can to make this event a success. @HelloJess really helped us real time. Firstly she pinned the post on the Top of the Meet-up board and as well approve many meet-ups daily as the days of the event was nearly approaching. @Anonymous helped us feature the post on the homepage, to as well create more awareness. Thanks to Yanni as well who was attending and Jeslyn and Mariabi who gave us Kudos :). And also to all the Local Guides Team a big thank you to you for giving us such a wonderful and amazing opportunity. We also ran a collection on Google + featuring recaps of Local Guides who participated in this Worldwide map edit walk. You can see the collections here: The Worldwide Map Edit Walk On Google+

On behalf of the 39 communities and cities that participated in the THE WORLDWIDE MAP EDIT WALK I will be sharing a global recap of their stories with you all. This event was not just about a single person, it was an event were Local Guides collaboratively came together just by themselves to make an impact in their community and beyond. THE WORLDWIDE MAP EDIT WALK was a voluntary effort by local guides around the 6 continents of the world to come together to improve the Google Maps on a same day with the same mission. We had a wooping sum of 39 cities and communities which participated in this event if not more than as well. You can find here the list of countries and cities that participated: List Of Countries & Cities That Participated In The Worldwide Map Edit Walk

I have outlined below the statistics of Local Guides that participated on this Worldwide Event. Note we are still gathering feedback and statistics from Local Guides that participated in this event, so expect this statistics to increase as well.

Statistics For The Worldwide Map Edit Walk

I will be sharing to you all stories and experiences from this wonderful event that took place on July 22nd 2017. Below are recap stories from countries,communities,cities that participated in the Worldwide event.

1. Lagos The Worldwide Map Edit Walk

The Worldwide map edit walk Lagos was hosted by Isaac Oguji a community moderator for the Lagos Local Guides. I was also present in attendance to support this wonderful event as well. Here are the highlights from Isaac recaps and experiences at the event.

Isaac: While we never had an inkling on how the meet-up would go, we still kept planning for it alongside HelloSamsonR, OSAMA and Osaka78 who were solidly creating awareness and engaging with more cities to participate.

Our meetup began at 3PM Nigerian time with first some cold creams to help with the hot weather (recorded at 32 degrees Celsius) and a brief walk around the mall. Our map edit had started right from inside the mall already, lol. Moreso, we had selected a particular region of Lagos to map out, which was the Yaba area. There are lots of businesses, schools and organizations located there. Interestingly, many of them are located within the streets and hadn't been added yet. We took out time to really put these places on the Google Maps despite the sunny weather and busy traffic on roads. For a quick one and for efficiency sake, we split into two groups/team. Team A headed for the Westward part of Yaba while Team B descended on the Eastward section of the town. This we needed to do to cover more grounds and add more places.

A Cross Section Of Local Guides Displaying The Word Local GuidesA Cross Section Of Local Guides Displaying The Word Local Guides

EXPERIENCES

At the end of our edit,  we had successfully walked a distance of over 6km in total; placed more than 20 businesses, several photos (I lost count), although some other edits we made are still pending for review from the Local Guides team - so the figure could be more at the end of the week depending on how fast our edits are approved. These figures may not be the largest but we earned some real good points and as well; made new friends from interactions with business owners; learnt a few tricks on using the GPS on maps and we're leveling up, that's the good part of it. To see how the Lagos Local Guides team from Nigeria marked the Worldwide Map Edit Walk, please visit this: Lagos, Nigeria How We Marked The Worldwide Map Edit Walk  link to see the overall experiences, including photos and videos as well.

2. Perth Australia The Worldwide Map Edit WalkThe Worldwide map edit walk was hosted in Australia by Osaka78 alongside David Tito. Osaka78 was a strong force and part of a great team that made the Worldwide map edit walk to be a huge success and also getting in more communities to participate. Osaka78 was rallying round moving from communities, Local Guides connect, Google+ sharing the event and thus making it possible and a memorable one for his community in Perth Australia. David Tito on the other hand was team member that operated behind the scene as well thus making this event possible as well in Perth, Australia by coming out to support in this wonderful worldwide event. Here are the experiences from David Tito as well a combined experience from the Local Guides from Perth, Australia.

IMG_8366.JPG

EXPERIENCES

David: It is a pleasure to be part of this event The WORLDWIDE MAP EDIT WALK from here in Perth Western Australia. It is a big part for me because I run The Perth Local Guides Community. As a Moderator it brings a big connection to us both and makes it an uplifting experience for my members here in Perth WA, I feel now more complete with my journey developing Perth Local Guides Community and I thank HelloSamsonR for helping us being part of this event. We are so excited here in Australia to be known that we are here and it has been a big success. Isn't this a wonderful experience? Definitely it is. To see the excitement and beautiful moments of how the Perth, Australia Local Guides marked the Worldwide map edit walk please visit this link: Perth, Australia How We Marked The Worldwide Map Edit Walk

3. Ayamonte, Spain The Worldwide Map Edit Walk

The Worldwide map edit walk was hosted in Ayamonte, Spain by Alejandra Maria. Alejandra is a wonderful woman and was part of the great women who contributed to this wonderful event. Her efforts was amazing and indeed it is definitely going to be remembered by many of us who were engaged in the group hangouts we had with her.

Alejandra: After we introduced ourselves and started talking we realised  we had different levels, So we started sharing our knowledge and helping between us.We were not in a hurry so we took our time (an hour and a half) until all doubts were solved. Our kids were with us as well and they imitated what we were doing because they are the future Local Guides and they also gave creative ideas. Isn’t  that wonderful ? definitely it is. Below was her experiences as well.FotoFinaldeGrupo.jpg

EXPERIENCES

We noticed that Google Maps is a very well known application, but only a few people in our town and surrounding area join the Local Guide Program. So in our future meetings we must devote time to explain and publicize this functionality. For example, a member of our community is a computer engineer and she joined the Local Guides program for the first time.W e have to start from the very beginning. A big hug to all that have helped and shared generously their knowledge with our Ayamonte Local Guides Community HelloSamsonR, OSAMA,Osaka78, BudionoS, MedRidaZ, Nando76, SergeySud, Isaac_O and  all the Sinergetic Team. I am Looking forward to the next World wide meet up :). To see the interesting stories videos and excitement from the Ayamonte World wide map edit walk visit this link: Ayamonte, Spain How We Marked The Worldwide Map Edit Walk

4. Amman, Jordan The Worldwide Map Edit Walk

Osama, Osama what can I say about him, amazing, funny, lovely or maybe perhaps a legend as well :). Osama was the first Local Guide to support this worldwide campaign by joining in and as well making sure Amman, Jordan participate in this worldwide event. Osama said the event is very important for the quality of the Jordan maps, so he decided to choose Amman the capital to be the first city to take part in this Worldwide Event. Below are his experiences at the Worldwide map edit walk.

20170722_201718.jpg

EXPERIENCES

Osama:The program is new in Jordan, when we explain what it is to the shops owners, they are very happy for the idea and when we tell them we are volunteers and not work for Google and all of this is free, they feel very more happy. I and the other Jordanian Local Guides are happy and we are very excited and we are waiting to make more and more meetups as well. He then smiled :). Isn’t this a wonderful experience? Definitely it is. I am pleased to also announce that Osama is also ready to host a worldwide map excersise as well.  Let me introduce you to the “Worldwide Geo Walk”. This now is really getting exciting and amazing. To see amazing and exciting videos and pictures of how the Worldwide map edit walk was held in Amman, Jordan please visit this link:Amman,Jordan How We Marked The Worldwide Map Edit Walk

5. Surabaya, Indonesia The Worldwide Map Edit Walk

The Worldwide map edit walk was hosted in Surabaya, Indonesia by Buidiono a member as well of the Indonesian Local Guides Community. Budiono is a food blogger and as well as culinary lover :). If you cook a food and you are actually looking for someone to tell you how it tastes, Budiono is one you can call upon as well. He has a YouTube channel with thousands of views on his video and as well a lot of subscribers. Here are the highlights and experiences from Budiono Worldwide map edit walk event.

Budiono: I held my meet up with fellow members of the Surabaya Kuliner in 2 different locations. First meet up point is in Chicking, Royal Plaza, Surabaya. We Started from 12PM to 2.30PM. Then we move to our second meet up point in Pujasera Lambe Toerah on Jalan Kendangsari 72. We Started from 3PM to 5.30PM. Both Chiking and Lambe Toerah are new restaurant and food court in Surabaya. Almost all other attendees still do not know what Local Guides is. So on that meetup, I  introduced and invited them to join Local Guides Program . Gladly some attendees got directly involved by giving reviews on the locations we visited and some locations around it on this day.

DSC_0084.JPG

EXPERIENCES

I  talked to 2 business owners about the importance of verifying their place on Google Maps to prevent other people from misusing their business location for unfair business competition. I also told them another benefit of verifying their businesses on the Google Maps is to be able to respond comments given by visitors.That might increase the loyal customer count as well. I enjoyed my meet-up and I was really happy it was a successful event as well. Isn't Budiono experience a lovely one? Am sure it is. To know more about how Surabaya, Indonesia Community marked their Worldwide map edit ever please visit this link: Surabaya, Indonesia How We Marked The Worldwide Map Edit Walk

Here is a Link to our Worldwide Map Edit Walk Album: The Worldwide Map Edit Walk Photo Album

Enjoy our Lovely Video and beautiful moments as well 😊.

Please Read Part 2 Of the Recap Of The Worldwide Map Edit Walk here:Recap- The Worldwide Map Edit Walk Part 2

Lagos, Nigeria
179 comments
Level 9

Re: WORLDWIDE RECAP - THE WORLDWIDE MAP EDIT WALK

perfect work @HelloSamsonR , we all Thank you , you are  our super start

you are amaaaazing 😉

Level 10

this is work in progress, I will be updating this article.

Level 9

This is part one  @HelloSamsonR

Give us time to read then Post part two  😊😊😊

@HelloSamsonR wrote:

this is work in progress, I will be updating this article.

Level 10

Okay @OSAMA Lol. 

Level 9

Level 9

@HelloSamsonR its good work.

thanks for it

Connect Moderator

Excellent work my dear @HelloSamsonR it's was a great day. Everyone remember you for making this event 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

@NareshDarji Stay tuned for the parts 2. The article was too big. Connect only allows 20,000 characters and I had over a 100,000 I think. I had to reduce the post. But be rest assured you all that participated are here :).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard and good work @OSAMA@HelloSamsonR@NareshDarji@.

Hoping to see my contribution and my dear Ronda soon.

Congratulations 😉👍👏👏👏👏🇪🇸

@Nando76 Local Guide MasterChef